The bad kind of neuroplasticity.

[Tr...]

Neuroplasticity can be maladaptive too. If one induces np while in a negative internal or external environment then unwanted changes can take effect or become more hard-wired. What I’m trying to figure out is let’s say someone starts doing activities to increase np while suffering WD symptoms, could they be harming themselves by telling their brain to further cement in these structural changes that have occurred because of WD? Is this what would cause LTP? Am I looking too much into this and that’s not how this works and I should just start doing cardio, DNRS, learn piano and take up juggling?

Neuroplasticity is good for specific micro effects (cognition, memory, positive psychology) but what about the macro level- the possibility of hardwiring to your downregulated receptors even more?

I’m sure you can tell I’m no neuroscientist.

That's actually a really good question and one I hadn't thought of.

I don't really know would be the answer but my best guess would be no but even if it did, the whole point of nuroplasticity is the brain re wiring it's self to adapt to changes so you would most likely not even notice if it did.

I think it’s a good question. 

Certainly if in WD we feel flat and negative then I guess the NP might follow that pattern.

I wonder if that’s why the pro active members do well?  I think positive support of BB and other groups are healthy adapters.

So perhaps I should avoid the negative y tube videos and accentuate the positive.

Must watch more Monty Python.

Dick

I think it’s a good question. 

Certainly if in WD we feel flat and negative then I guess the NP might follow that pattern.

I wonder if that’s why the pro active members do well?  I think positive support of BB and other groups are healthy adapters.

So perhaps I should avoid the negative y tube videos and accentuate the positive.

Must watch more Monty Python.

Dick

I've been watching you tube ted talks and videos about NP from the beginning and honestly, I think it's the way to faster healing. Support your brain with the right type of nutrition and focus on the healing not the symptoms.I never watch anything negitive about this, I'm a glass half full girl all the way.

I moved countrys while in a c/t acute, I went more or less straight into work when I got here working in London but travelling back home to the North West every weekend. I had to deal with my two sisters dieing with in nine weeks of each other and as far as I can tell, I was just as sick as everyone else, I just refuse to let it beat me and I do not doubt for one second that I will fully heal, in fact I will be better than I was before.

It has been super hard at times but I would not just sit down and let it over take me. I'm nearly six month's in and I'd say I'm most probably about 85% healed. I really turned a corner when I learnt how to meditate, it makes perfect sense to me that quieting your mind and figuring out the triggers for the anxiaty and dealing with them would signal the gabba receptors that it is safe to grow because if your in fight or flight constantly, what's the point of them re growing, the body would just see it as not needed. I genuinely believe this is key.

I completely agree that remaining positive and trying to break the fear cycle will help. I’m a huge believer in NP. I’m wondering if trying to induce NP while in acute is a bad idea though as we can induce further adaption to a negative brain state if that makes sense?

Dickie- How are you going these days? Yes more humor is good! I feel much better when I can make my 11 month old son laugh which makes me laugh in return! Some days I just can’t get past the symptoms to interact though.

Kam19- I’m so sorry for your loss and struggles. I can tell how strong you are! I can’t imagine starting a new life and dealing with such loss in acute. I’m barely holding onto my familiar job! I’ve always wondering how to break the flight or fight cycle so I may try DNRS soon but I’m afraid of what I said before—inducing negative NP because my symptoms are so strong now