Are brussel sprouts high in glutamate/make symptoms worse?

[Mo...]

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get a general consensus or even better, actual scientific proof as the whether or not brussel sprouts excites/increases glutamate and can potentially make wd symptoms worse.

I'm trying to find alternatives to the zucchini and cauliflower i've been eating for a week lol

Thanks for any input - cheers!

MP

I'm not sure but I had to switch to zucchinis because I wasn't able to eat brussel sprouts anymore, too triggering for my system. I used to eat brussel sprouts every week before benzo wd.

I'd say try it and see. I was able to eat some foods after a period of time off not being able to eat it.

I have a different take on this, but you have to do what YOU feel comfortable doing. Because many people lose weight while on benzos or when they taper or even go CT, being able to eat ENOUGH may be a problem. That is how it was for me. I had to eat a high calories diet for over a year just to put enough weight on to be in a semi normal range. I have never read anything definitive about glutamate in foods having a negative effect, so if one of you DO, let me know.

I have a different take on this, but you have to do what YOU feel comfortable doing. Because many people lose weight while on benzos or when they taper or even go CT, being able to eat ENOUGH may be a problem. That is how it was for me. I had to eat a high calories diet for over a year just to put enough weight on to be in a semi normal range. I have never read anything definitive about glutamate in foods having a negative effect, so if one of you DO, let me know.

Aren't you a nurse? Every neurologist I've been to gave me a list of foods to avoid for migraines and seizures and glutamate was the first one on those lists. Most anti-seizure meds work by lowering glutamate. I'm surprised that you've never heard of negative effect of glutamate being a nurse.

Yes, I am aware of this. One thing I try not to do on this forum is scare anyone or even just make them a bit more anxious. Worrying about food UNLESS you do have a real medical problem that warrents it is not needed during benzo wd. For instance, a diabetic of course should watch what they eat, and someone on an anti-coagulant should as well. But someone who is basically healthy and just in benzo wd does not to fret about diet. Now of course, that is just a personal opinion and I think perhaps you misunderstood me.

That's okay too.