Need help with switching from 2 mg total lorazepam to equivalent dose of Valium

[No...]

I went to my psych Friday and she cold turkeyed me off 2 mg lorazepam daily to 18 mg diazepam. I slept terribly Friday night and had a terrible day Saturday, basically convincing myself I needed to be checked into a hospital. I got in touch with her and she said to continue taking my normal dose of lorazepam with the new dose of diazepam until Thursday or Friday. I feel this was completely irresponsible of her to switch me like that and have already contacted some other doctors to see if I can get in and see them. Is there anyone who can help me figure out a switch, in accordance with the Ashton Manual?

I have been taking .5 mg lorazepam twice a day and 1 mg at night. She is switching me to 18 mg diazepam.

Side note: She switched me from 200 mg Zoloft to 10 mg Lexapro three weeks ago. I cross tapered for three weeks.

PS-wondering if she needs to be fired.

Thank you for your help!

I went to my psych Friday and she cold turkeyed me off 2 mg lorazepam daily to 18 mg diazepam. I slept terribly Friday night and had a terrible day Saturday, basically convincing myself I needed to be checked into a hospital. I got in touch with her and she said to continue taking my normal dose of lorazepam with the new dose of diazepam until Thursday or Friday. I feel this was completely irresponsible of her to switch me like that and have already contacted some other doctors to see if I can get in and see them. Is there anyone who can help me figure out a switch, in accordance with the Ashton Manual?

I have been taking .5 mg lorazepam twice a day and 1 mg at night. She is switching me to 18 mg diazepam.

Side note: She switched me from 200 mg Zoloft to 10 mg Lexapro three weeks ago. I cross tapered for three weeks.

PS-wondering if she needs to be fired.

Thank you for your help!

I can help you with a schedule. I need to know what you are taking now. Are you taking 2mg Lorazepam plus the 18mg valium???

• 3 weeks later...
[29...]

Ouch, this happened to me as well. My doc just didn't know, neither did I, he's actually a good one who isn't a huge fan of psych meds, used to run that department at one of the top schools in the nation, and was willing to work with me. I needed more valium to stabilize, probably because of the instant crossover. If you have full bottles of both, anyways, let Bella make you a schedule.

You may need to (politely) tell you psychiatrist that you need to crossover gradually and you have researched a way to try, just tell them the plan and say you need their help to do this so you don't have to be hospitalized because it was too rough on your system. If she still doesn't listen, do you have refills? And then I would shop around, can't hurt to call and make an appointment if you can find a competent doc (good luck). She may be relieved to know you have a plan you can try.

Hospital cold turkeyed me when I went to get help for taper induced SI, so I would avoid the psych ward, you never know what will happen in there and they can take all your rights away and that is not helpful in benzo wd (not trying to scare you, I just wish someone had told me this, I could have avoided nightmare). At least she is giving you meds and open to a switch. Just know that they often don't intend to make these mistakes, there really is just almost complete ignorance about this process and these meds in general among the medical community. And if you can call and find yourself a psych who actually knows about benzo wd and crossover more power to you! They are pretty rare.