Steroids put me in endless wave ... does anyone have a similar history?

[Lu...]

Hi, I´m from Costa Rica, so my main language is not English, so excuse me in advance.

I´m 31, and had approximately 5 years of intermittent use of Clonazepam, and diazepam during my taper. I jumped December 13, and was doing fine, until a month ago, when i started to feel head pressure, dizziness and photophobia, with my head full of something (now I know that all of those symptoms was a part of my withdrawal). Since I had a nose job done in December, my doctor thought that I had a sinus infection and gave me amoxicillin, I took 3 days of this antibiotic and started to feel awful, but It only lasted like 2 weeks and everything went back to normal, and even then I was able to sleep, to eat and to function. As the pressure in my head and all the symptoms didn't disappear, my doctor gave me 8 days of an steroids called Zamen in a high dose, and after those days my nightmare started, and seems like is not going anyware, has been 3 weeks now since the last dose and I´m still unable to sleep, with severe anxiety and can´t work or even eat, I was wonder if someone have a similar history and if so, how long your symptoms lasted after the steroid shut or pill. Thank you in advance, lots of love from Costa Rica.

I got into this Benzo nightmare because of steroids.  My doctor put me on several different antidepressants which made the situation worse. I started taking Ativan to cope with side effects. Went to a psychiatrist who said it was the steroids and I didn’t need all the other meds. I should’ve just worked through the steroids side effects. Too late, I’m now dependent on Ativan. My story for what it’s worth. George

Ah Thanks George !!!

I was not too bad til I had 80 mg prednisolone injected  5 days ago.

Incredibly anxious since, had to updose the Benzos x3 days for pain and agitation.

Problem is that it’s a slow release injection for arthritis. May last months ugg.

Never again

Dick

Steroids can trigger extreme anxiety and chemical terror.  This was the case for me and why I took the benzo in the first place! Huge mistake.  If I could travel back in time,  I would have ridden it out and never touched a benzo.

I had no idea that anxiety could be a side effect from steroids!

Sorry to hear that R123

I was coping reasonably well on taper and this has really screwed it up.

I can’t blame the doc as I thought I would be ok with a single jab.

My poor wife became agitated and psychotic whilst on steroids for her brain tumour. I should have been more cautious.

Dick

Sorry to hear that R123

I was coping reasonably well on taper and this has really screwed it up.

I can’t blame the doc as I thought I would be ok with a single jab.

My poor wife became agitated and psychotic whilst on steroids for her brain tumour. I should have been more cautious.

Dick

Hi there! In retrospect, the steroids were medically necessary for an allergic reaction I was having ... I just wish that I hadn't taken them for as long as I did. I looked up the side effects online and DIDN'T see anxiety listed so it took me a while to figure out what caused my chemical terror. I've learned to be a lot more cautious about medications obviously :)

Please hang in there and take care!

Following..

Started Prednislione 75 3 days ago for 5 days.. A Bels Palsy(ish) DX..

It Increased my current WD SX as best I can tell...

Fingers crossed for us all..

It’s a potent medication but sometimes necessary. Like my psychiatrist said, “breathing is important “. Just wish the side effects weren’t so awful. George

I think the 80 mg prednisone is wearing off as have felt less anxious but sadly real migraine with cobwebs charging about.

Hope the Kenalog wears off. Ten months is hard graft

I agree George -))

Dick

I have a strong psychiatric reaction to steroids. I’m bipolar and it triggers what feels like a week long panic attack and is probably what initially started the whole benzo mess for me.

It definitely revs the CNS up.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason why steroids trigger WD sxs is because they bind POTENTLY to GABA A receptors - google it you'll see for yourself.  So it is like going off a Benzo-like drug. The internet is rife with people having a difficult time off shots especially, because shots are not tapered (not necessary my dr said, ugh).  Try Drugs.com or patientinfo.net to get others' perspectives. 

Over time though it will get better, so hang in there everyone.  I am now having windows and waves ...

Thanks Athley

You are correct. I had two weeks of panic after depo 80 mg, and updosed for a while on diazepam.

Since then I had a head injury so I am holding everything until things improve. 

Best wishes

Dick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Forty... this has been horrific experience. I am currently in a massive wave that is as bad as when I discontinued klonopin 3 years ago.  Physical pain like you wouldn't believe, and many more. At its peak I had over 50 symptoms, most are still there, but some have improved.  But man, the waves are something to behold.  I have to be optimistic...things have to get better...