Builder - have question on Xanax taper please

[to...]

Hi Builder - I am at 2.25 mg Xanax that I take in 4 doses a day using .5 mg pills.  At 9:00 am I take 1 mg, 1:00 pm .5 mg, 5:00 pm .5 mg, at 8:30 pm  .25mg. I have been at this cut for 29 days.  I plan to do a cut tomorrow to 2.0 mg.  I want to take .5 mg for each of the 4 doses.  Will this make a difference or give me problems since I have been doing the doses differently? 

I have been taking the 1.0 mg first thing in the morning because it has been so long since I have taken the last dose from the night before and have been attempting to not have sxs.  Will cutting the morning dose cause me symptoms or help to make all doses the same throughout the day?

Once I stabilize on 2.0 mg, I would like to asked you to help me with a DLMT. 

Thank you

Julia

Hi Builder - I am at 2.25 mg Xanax that I take in 4 doses a day using .5 mg pills.  At 9:00 am I take 1 mg, 1:00 pm .5 mg, 5:00 pm .5 mg, at 8:30 pm  .25mg. I have been at this cut for 29 days.  I plan to do a cut tomorrow to 2.0 mg.  I want to take .5 mg for each of the 4 doses.  Will this make a difference or give me problems since I have been doing the doses differently? 

I have been taking the 1.0 mg first thing in the morning because it has been so long since I have taken the last dose from the night before and have been attempting to not have sxs.  Will cutting the morning dose cause me symptoms or help to make all doses the same throughout the day?

Thank you

Julia

The most common dosing protocol for xanax is 3X/day.  But I can't really predict how it will effect you.  Just try it.  If it causes problems, then go back to 4X.

A general comment:  DLMT is so much easier, and so much more tolerable, I will never understand why so many people want to wait "...till I get to a lower dose" before they start.

Hi Builder,

First, thank you for your quick response.

I have taken the Xanax in 4 doses ever since I started it as that is how my doctor told me to use it and also because 2 1/2 years ago - when I was so sick - my anxiety and panic was so bad, I needed to take it that often. (I did not know until January 2019 that the panic attacks and all my other symptoms were caused by a cold turkey from Xanax and Ativan.  a primary care doctor had put me on Xanax and then changed to Ativan due to anxiety and then after 3 months took me off it and then I became very ill and that is when the panic attacks started and they were multiple times a day and all the other withdrawal symptoms came with it and I thought I was going to die for months)  Being put back on Xanax is what eventually stabilized me to where I could even go out of the house without a mask.  Finding BB was a God send to me in January.  Also my therapist and psychiatrist are both totally against this taper and only want to increase my doses and I had to demand that I be put on a taper because the Xanax was causing me so many other health issues, including stroke symptoms.  Since I started my taper - I have not had one panic attack - thank goodness.  My regular doctor has never wanted me on this and I can tell you that since I started this taper in January I am so much better and can function and even laugh sometimes.

Now - for the general comment you made - It is from fear for me that I am not good at math and need step by step instructions on how to do the DLMT and have not wanted to bother anyone to give me what I need in detail.  I have actually looked at the post you have made with others trying to comprehend what to do before I asked you to help me.  I think I read at least 150 of your responses to others and feel I you can help me.

If you have the time, could you please help me?  I will wait a couple days until I have all the information from you that I need to start the DLMT and I will start that instead of cutting the pills.  I would like to make batches for 10-14 days and I would like to try cutting by 10%, unless you think that is too much.

Thank you for being here and for helping so many and for helping me.

Julia

Thank you

Julia

The most common dosing protocol for xanax is 3X/day.  But I can't really predict how it will effect you.  Just try it.  If it causes problems, then go back to 4X.

A general comment:  DLMT is so much easier, and so much more tolerable, I will never understand why so many people want to wait "...till I get to a lower dose" before they start.

:thumbsup:

Hi Builder,

First, thank you for your quick response.

I have taken the Xanax in 4 doses ever since I started it as that is how my doctor told me to use it and also because 2 1/2 years ago - when I was so sick - my anxiety and panic was so bad, I needed to take it that often. (I did not know until January 2019 that the panic attacks and all my other symptoms were caused by a cold turkey from Xanax and Ativan.  a primary care doctor had put me on Xanax and then changed to Ativan due to anxiety and then after 3 months took me off it and then I became very ill and that is when the panic attacks started and they were multiple times a day and all the other withdrawal symptoms came with it and I thought I was going to die for months)  Being put back on Xanax is what eventually stabilized me to where I could even go out of the house without a mask.  Finding BB was a God send to me in January.  Also my therapist and psychiatrist are both totally against this taper and only want to increase my doses and I had to demand that I be put on a taper because the Xanax was causing me so many other health issues, including stroke symptoms.  Since I started my taper - I have not had one panic attack - thank goodness.  My regular doctor has never wanted me on this and I can tell you that since I started this taper in January I am so much better and can function and even laugh sometimes.

Now - for the general comment you made - It is from fear for me that I am not good at math and need step by step instructions on how to do the DLMT and have not wanted to bother anyone to give me what I need in detail.  I have actually looked at the post you have made with others trying to comprehend what to do before I asked you to help me.  I think I read at least 150 of your responses to others and feel I you can help me.

If you have the time, could you please help me?  I will wait a couple days until I have all the information from you that I need to start the DLMT and I will start that instead of cutting the pills.  I would like to make batches for 10-14 days and I would like to try cutting by 10%, unless you think that is too much.

Thank you for being here and for helping so many and for helping me.

Julia

Yes, I will help you.

But to respond to the rest of your comment, and for benefit of others...

You have to do the same basic "math", no matter what kind of taper you choose.  And both the math, AND the process for lqiuid is easier than dry cut/scale methods.

And the math will still be the same when you get down to 2mg as it is right now!  ;)

Thank you Builder - I appreciate your help so much.  I used to be great at math before Xanax.  I was a payroll accountant. 

My pxh dr told me to go down by .5 mg a month but I knew that was too much so I have just been trying to wing it so to speak.  That worked ok for the first 3 months but not anymore.  I will be glad to have a taper where I know what to do and I will be happy when I get to 0 mg of this med. which I know will take a while but I am all for a more tolerable taper.

Thanks again Builder - also for your patience. :thumbsup::smitten:

Hi Builder - when  I wrote earlier - I have been taking the 1.0 mg first thing in the morning because it has been so long since I have taken the last dose from the night before and have been attempting to not have sxs.  Will cutting the morning dose cause me symptoms or help to make all doses the same throughout the day?

What I meant to say was - will cutting the morning dose in half make a difference. 

I still want to do 4 doses per day with the DLMT  Just wanted to clarify myself.

The usual protocol is level doses.  And since you morning dose is the biggest dose, cutting the morning dose will probably be OK.  As I said, you can tyr any  any alternate arrangement you wish, and just change back if it doesn't work.

But...a .25mg cut from 2.25mg is a big cut.  ::)

Sounds good, yeah I thought the .25 cut from 2.25 might be too much.  I think it was Jim who said that was almost a 12% cut and I do not think that would have been the smartest move to make.

That is also why I am so appreciative for your help.  :angel:

Hi Builder,

I was wondering how it is going with the DLMT plan for me?  I was not sure if you were waiting for me or if it just takes alot of time to get it all together.

Thanks again.

Hi Builder,

I was wondering how it is going with the DLMT plan for me?  I was not sure if you were waiting for me or if it just takes alot of time to get it all together.

Thanks again.

Well, yeah, I really was waiting to see if you had decided to proceed, instead of waiting to get down to 2.  And no, its actually really simple.  So here we go...

We'll try a 5%/15 day schedule, which is close to  what you've been doing.

2.25mg X 5% .1125mg

.1125mg/14 days = .008mg/day

Combine 20mgs xanax + 40ml vodka or PG + 160ml water.  That's 200ml, .1mg per ml, approx 9-10 day supply.

Schedule:

22.5ml (2.25mg)

22.42ml (2.242mg)

22.34ml (2.234mg)

22.26ml (2.226mg)

etc....

just lower your dose by .08ml (.008mg) each day.

(see how easy that was?) ;)

You will need a 1ml and 10ml oral syringe, and a basic glass jar with a lid for mixing and storage.  Store you liquid in the glass jar, covered, at room temp.

To continue 4 doses/day, extract the full days dose and put it in a standard measuring cup.  Top it up to one fill cup with water (or any liquid).  Drink 1/4 cup for each dose.

Hi Builder,

That does look easy.  So once I get through this first batch where I am reducing by .008mg, the next batch will be

2.138 mg x 5%  .1069

.1069/14 days = .007 so I am lowering my  dose by .007 mg a day

And would this be the same?  - Combine 20mgs xanax + 40ml vodka or PG + 160ml water.  That's 200ml, .1mg per ml, approx 9-10 day supply.  This part I am not understanding how to do correctly after the first batch.

Also - do I use the same syringes or do i need to get new ones for each day and batch?  I have a couple 10 ml and a few 1 ml syringes. 

I will make the first batch tomorrow and start this on Friday morning. 

Thank you so much for your help.

Julia

Hi Builder,

That does look easy.  So once I get through this first batch where I am reducing by .008mg, the next batch will be

2.138 mg x 5%  .1069

.1069/14 days = .007 so I am lowering my  dose by .007 mg a day

You can do that (change the cut rate at each benchmark).  My opinion is stay at the same rate as long as you aren't significantly symptomatic.  But your way will work, maybe just take a little longer.

And would this be the same?  - Combine 20mgs xanax + 40ml vodka or PG + 160ml water.  That's 200ml, .1mg per ml, approx 9-10 day supply.  This part I am not understanding how to do correctly after the first batch.

Just make another batch, the same way.

Also - do I use the same syringes or do i need to get new ones for each day and batch?  I have a couple 10 ml and a few 1 ml syringes.

If you put a piece of "Scotch" tape over the markings, to protect them from wear, your syringes will last a long time.  I bought about 50 X 1mg and 12 X 10mg, but only maybe used 2 of each over a 2 year period. 

I will make the first batch tomorrow and start this on Friday morning. 

Thank you so much for your help.

Julia

Hi Builder,

I guess my math was off.  I was figuring the dose I would be at at the end of the first batch and then calculate by 5% and dividing that by 14 days.  That is how I came up with .007.  Guess I did it wrong.  I would want to stay at the same cut rate,  I certainly do not want to make it take longer. 

Once I get through this first batch, I will try to figure out the math for the next batch and  I will contact you and ask you to check it for me.

I will use the scotch tape and I should have enough syringes for a while.

Thank you again.

Hi Builder,

I guess my math was off.  I was figuring the dose I would be at at the end of the first batch and then calculate by 5% and dividing that by 14 days.  That is how I came up with .007.  Guess I did it wrong.  I would want to stay at the same cut rate,  I certainly do not want to make it take longer. 

Once I get through this first batch, I will try to figure out the math for the next batch and  I will contact you and ask you to check it for me.

I will use the scotch tape and I should have enough syringes for a while.

Thank you again.

No, your math is fine!  :thumbsup:

All I'm saying is it may not be necessary to adjust the dose (mgs) at each benchmark or each batch.  Yes, if you continue to make the same absolute (milligram) reduction, then the percentage does rise,  as your dose declines.

I only adjusted my absolute (milligram) cut rate when my body told me I needed to.

Your suggested plan is fine.  Its a little more conservative than what I usually suggest, but its definitely NOT "wrong"

Hi Builder,

Thanks.

I had a couple more questions - want to understand this.

I can keep making the batches the same -  Combine 20mgs xanax + 40ml vodka or PG + 160ml water.  That's 200ml, .1mg per ml, approx 9-10 day supply.  - when would I or would I ever need to change this?

Do I have to use a glass jar - I have no problem doing that for the batch but was wondering if in the mornings - or night before - if I can measure out the dose for the day and put the 4 doses in plastic containers with lids?

If I do well - and I believe I will - at reducing by .008 mg a day, can I go up to maybe .010 mg at the end of the month or should I stay at 5% ?  I had read on BB where some people do 10% every 10-14 days.

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

I am getting ready to make my batch shortly and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.  :):angel:

Hi Builder,

Thanks.

I had a couple more questions - want to understand this.

I can keep making the batches the same -  Combine 20mgs xanax + 40ml vodka or PG + 160ml water.  That's 200ml, .1mg per ml, approx 9-10 day supply.  - when would I or would I ever need to change this?

You can keep doing that size as long as it's convenient.  As I said, a 10-14 day supply (about 10X your current dose) is what I suggest.  It will NOT "spoil" or degrade, but it can become contaminated.  (That won't change it's efficacy, it just makes it kinda icky)

Do I have to use a glass jar - I have no problem doing that for the batch but was wondering if in the mornings - or night before - if I can measure out the dose for the day and put the 4 doses in plastic containers with lids?

Plastic is fine.

If I do well - and I believe I will - at reducing by .008 mg a day, can I go up to maybe .010 mg at the end of the month or should I stay at 5% ?  I had read on BB where some people do 10% every 10-14 days.

Every taper should be a symptom-based taper.  Listen to your body.  It will tell you what taper rate to use.  (...and yes, you will  do just fine!)

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

I am getting ready to make my batch shortly and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.  :):angel:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hey Builder,

Just made the first batch and took out tomorrow's dose and separated it into the 4 doses so it will be ready to start in the morning.  (of course - I was excited and forgot to reduce tomorrow's dose by the .08 ml so I had to do it again)

My question is - and I believe I have seen where you have answered this before - today doing the dose for 22.5 ml was fine but the doses of

22.42ml

22.34ml

22.26ml and so on...

how do you get those amounts since the syringe isn't labeled that way?  I believe you said it does not have to be precise but just so I am reducing daily - so if tomorrow when I separate out the 4 doses for Saturday, I can do 22.4 ml and it will be ok - Right?

Hey Builder,

Just made the first batch and took out tomorrow's dose and separated it into the 4 doses so it will be ready to start in the morning.  (of course - I was excited and forgot to reduce tomorrow's dose by the .08 ml so I had to do it again)

My question is - and I believe I have seen where you have answered this before - today doing the dose for 22.5 ml was fine but the doses of

22.42ml

22.34ml

22.26ml and so on...

how do you get those amounts since the syringe isn't labeled that way?  I believe you said it does not have to be precise but just so I am reducing daily - so if tomorrow when I separate out the 4 doses for Saturday, I can do 22.4 ml and it will be ok - Right?

Ex:  22.42ml

With the 10ml syringe-2 pulls of 10ml, + 1 pull of 2ml

plus

with the 1 ml syringe-1 pull to the .42 mark.

If your 1 ml syringe doesn't have 100 marks, then just go a little past the .4 mark

You might want to practice with your syringes before you actually begin your taper.  And if you add a few drops of food coloring to your liquid, it will make it easier.

I say it over and over again, a daily liquid taper is NOT about accuracy or precision, its about gradually reducing your dose in small decrements.

And these are NOT precision instruments anyway.  So as long as you follow a consistent procedure with the same instrument, that's all that matters.

So quick question.  If you take your xanax is 4 divided doses.  Which I am doing too.  Sorry my sig line is not updated.  What dose do you decide to cut first?

Hi PowerPearl,

What I am going to do is just split them all equally.  Once I made my batch today - starting the DLMT tomorrow - I took 4 containers and put the same amount in all of them and this way it will all be the same dose throughout the day.

Builder just helped me with a plan and I am sure he or another BB buddy will be glad to make a plan for you if DLMT is the way you want to go.  I am told, by multiple people here, that is is the best way to taper and so much easier.  I am counting on that.  The tapering on the pills is hard to do.

I was taking my largest dose in the morning 1 mg. then at 1:00 pm I would take .5mg, again at 5 pm .5mg and at 8:30 or so I would take .25 mg .  With the liquid taper, I am going to do all the doses the same amount.

Builder wrote:  The usual protocol is level doses.  And since you morning dose is the biggest dose, cutting the morning dose will probably be OK.  As I said, you can try any alternate arrangement you wish, and just change back if it doesn't work.

Builder is great at this and has helped so many people.  Don't feel intimidated or scared to ask for help.  That is why we are all here - to help and support each other.

Julia

So quick question.  If you take your xanax is 4 divided doses.  Which I am doing too.  Sorry my sig line is not updated.  What dose do you decide to cut first?

If you follow the procedure I usually suggest, you can easily taper them evenly.

Put the full days dose in a standard measuring cup, and top it up to 1 full cup.  Drink 1/4 cup for each dose.