When to stop Xanax?

[Li...]

My taper is going well. I don't feel great, but this is tolerable (much better than dry cutting).

My question now is: When is the point when I'd stop taking Xanax totally?

I do understand that Xanax is short acting and that it is much more potent than Valium per mg. I don't, however, have a ballpark idea for when the dose is low enough to quit.

Thanks so much! I don't see a lot of full taper Xanax sigs, so I was not sure when people were stopping. It's nice to have a ballpark number.

I have done all the math (and have a sheet of those target numbers), but I've reduced based on how I've felt. I was thinking with the short half life that I could slow down immediately if having problems. I do a master mix but portion each day.

Xanax does not make me feel good at all. It just prevents awful w/d symptoms. I want off this so bad, but I know I should not rush it.

Thanks again.

Hi Lily,

Because Xanax has such a short half life I personally don't see the sense in reducing all the way down to .025 mg.

I don't know about you, but I dose 3x/day and to divide that tiny of an increment into thirds seems absurd.

I plan on jumping at .0500 ( 1mg V) based on what I have read in the threads from other X people. Worse case is I will jump at .0300 but no less.

I see you are moving right along in your taper.  :thumbsup:

Hi LalaLand,

My long term prescription was three x per day. Tapering, I first went to 2 x per day. I then began to dry cut the morning dose in half which worked out better. I then did the same with the evening dose. So, I take Xanax 4 x per day - equal doses.

I measure out the dose for each day and put that in a one cup measuring cup. I add water to fill to one cup. Each dose is then 1/4 cup no matter how low my daily dosage goes. I don't try to measure the super tiny amounts like the four per day.

Not sure on my jump dose. Think I'll just play that by ear and how I'm feeling. I did want a general idea about the amounts where others were successfully stopping. It's good to have a general target.

You are moving right along! That's great!

Hi LalaLand,

My long term prescription was three x per day. Tapering, I first went to 2 x per day. I then began to dry cut the morning dose in half which worked out better. I then did the same with the evening dose. So, I take Xanax 4 x per day - equal doses.

I measure out the dose for each day and put that in a one cup measuring cup. I add water to fill to one cup. Each dose is then 1/4 cup no matter how low my daily dosage goes. I don't try to measure the super tiny amounts like the four per day.

Not sure on my jump dose. Think I'll just play that by ear and how I'm feeling. I did want a general idea about the amounts where others were successfully stopping. It's good to have a general target.

You are moving right along! That's great!

Seems to me that this works well as a general "rule"..

-Provided one has a realistic take on where one actually is at as they approach the pointy end of it all..

Best wishes..

:)