MSG Warning in other countries!

[Th...]

• 2 weeks later...
I get really annoyed when I see articles on how MSG reactions are all in people's heads. That stuff messed me up before I quit taking benzos. I can't even imagine what it would be like ingesting it at this point. Probably wave central.

I got spiked with MSG through Chinese take out.  Thought it was msg free but not so.  I was in acute,  Truly damn near killed me.  I now read every label and insist on talking to chefs if I eat out.  Why don't we ban the shit or put a loud warning label so I don't have to spend hours reading every label in the store and/or pissing chefs off.  The poison is in so many foods.  Life shouldn't be this difficult.  B/W is plenty to deal with....Good f'ing Grief! 

Ok...rant done.

DoveLuv - If there's a gravy or a sauce involved at a restaurant, you can be pretty much assured that it has MSG in it. They use canned broths for the most part. Seems like damn near any savory that is pre-packaged/processed has the vile stuff in it. There's a remedy for it you might try, seem to work, but it may give you the runs. Cream of tartar dissolved in water. Found that on the internet somewhere, and tried it out. Seems to work. I always have a jar on hand, especially if I'm going out to dinner, as I'm pretty sensitive to MSG. I used to just drink a shitload of tea, that helps flush it out too, but tea is unfortunately not an option atm.

Oh, and stay clear of any buffets. Buffet food is loaded with it. Seems it preserves the food while it's sitting on the buffet table for gods know how long. I mostly eat at home and cook from scratch, so I at least have some freaking idea what the hell is in my food. I won't even start on what it's probably been sprayed with if it didn't come out of my garden, but that's a bitchfest for another time.

Maya...Thanks.  Cream of tarter dissolved in water?  What type of cream of tarter? This is great to find a quick flush or remedy. I have a big garden but live up north.  I eat fresh for a couple months.  I have had to do some road trips and it's tough to bring all your own food.  I always end up in a restaurant.  Thanks for the tips!

Maya...Thanks.  Cream of tarter dissolved in water?  What type of cream of tarter? This is great to find a quick flush or remedy. I have a big garden but live up north.  I eat fresh for a couple months.  I have had to do some road trips and it's tough to bring all your own food.  I always end up in a restaurant.  Thanks for the tips!

Just the stuff you find in any baking section at the grocery store. Mine sells it in the bulk section too. A teaspoon or two in a cup or so of water. Drink it after you're done eating a meal that may be suspect. Clears up the wobbly head thing, and keeps it from being sucked up into the tissues. Those are the problems I have with MSG anyway. Makes me thirsty as all get-out, and the more I drink, the more edema I get. Way too much makes me pass out, and get big blisters on the roof of my mouth.

But NO!!! It's harmless and the symptoms are all in my head, says Big Ag. 'F' them and their little dog too. Another good rule of thumb for the chemically sensitive - read the ingredient list. If there's anything on it you can't pronounce, you probably shouldn't be eating it.

Thanks Maya...yep...went to the store today. Started to do my label reading and said to heck with it.  If it was more than a sentence or two, I put it back.  Basically this means I bought fruit, veggies, yogurt and almond milk.  Damn I miss those Cheetos!  Huge learning curve for someone who cooks from the frozen section or a box.  I am starting to feel well enough to cook...just gotta learn how.  Never too late. 

In Germany there is no warning, but the "trend" goes to no glutamate. They even would write that on a banana.  :laugh:

I have a question: Does MSG has to be declared on the product label in the USA?

So IF you are informed you could see it and avoid the product? Or are there even products where its added and its hidden on the label..

Marigold - yes, MSG has to be put on the label if it is an ingredient. The way they get around it is by calling it something else, like hydrolyzed yeast extract, or some other such nonsense. That's how they hide it, you see.

https://www.glutathionediseasecure.com/other-names-for-MSG.html

This list is incomplete. But it's the quickest link I came up with. There's probably about 20 more names that I didn't notice off the top of my head.

Not to my knowledge. There's still an ongoing fight over whether it's toxic or not. Big Ag claims it's all in my head. So do a lot of Asians, who seem to use the majority of it. I've seen huge bags of the stuff for sale at Asian markets. Problem is, a lot of people are seemingly unaffected by it. Doesn't bother my husband a bit, for example, but it puts me under the bus.

[75...]

I get really annoyed when I see articles on how MSG reactions are all in people's heads. That stuff messed me up before I quit taking benzos. I can't even imagine what it would be like ingesting it at this point. Probably wave central.

Yes, omg. I didn't know I was in benzo wd a couple of years ago when I moved to SE Asia, and was living in various places where they use it like salt, it was everywhere. It took me a couple of months to realize that the MSG was causing extreme symptoms and that I had to stay away from it. Wave central indeed. It sucks that they have started putting it back in the food supply in the US, it had all but vanished after the media scare some years ago.

I have a theory. Now I can't speak for most people, obviously, but when I eat something with MSG in it, I can't stop eating whatever it is til there is no more, even if I feel like I'm going to burst. Even when I'm way past full, I'm still craving the MSG laden foodstuff. I would be willing to bet money that the companies that produce food are aware of this phenomenon. See where I'm going with this? While I'm a capitalist, I know for a fact (as do the majority) that big corporations get up to some underhanded shit to keep their edge in the market. Including funding studies that show that MSG is supposedly harmless. *shrug* Big Pharm does it all the time, why should they be any different? After all, how did most of us end up on BB?

Before ya'll rag on me for eating foods with MSG in them when I know I'm sensitive, you can't always tell from reading the packages. Big Ag is sneaky that way.

I have a theory. Now I can't speak for most people, obviously, but when I eat something with MSG in it, I can't stop eating whatever it is til there is no more, even if I feel like I'm going to burst. Even when I'm way past full, I'm still craving the MSG laden foodstuff. I would be willing to bet money that the companies that produce food are aware of this phenomenon. See where I'm going with this? While I'm a capitalist, I know for a fact (as do the majority) that big corporations get up to some underhanded shit to keep their edge in the market. Including funding studies that show that MSG is supposedly harmless. *shrug* Big Pharm does it all the time, why should they be any different? After all, how did most of us end up on BB?

Before ya'll rag on me for eating foods with MSG in them when I know I'm sensitive, you can't always tell from reading the packages. Big Ag is sneaky that way.

That is not a theory. They put it into dog food also. When I had my dog the first days, the shelter I had it from recommended a special brand. I gave it to her and that animal behaved like crazy. I stopped it then. From that point she got what a dog eats in nature. Meat. Fats. Vegetables that are already processed in the guts of the animals they eat.. and then - my dog recovered and with 14 years she still has all her teeth, nice fur and so on.. But I did not know about the effects of MSG until I watched dogs and asked what they were fed with...

Oh, wow...did not know that. I'll have to check my pup's food. Thanks for the heads up! Our dog hates his kibble, even though it's fairly pricey. He only eats it when we haven't given him enough people food. Probably a good thing. I always give him the fatty scraps and  a bit of whatever else we're eating. Little guy loves almonds and other nuts. Go figure. Not hard to feed, as long as it isn't dog food or fruit.

[75...]

Yes, this is actually true. I studied human nutrition and food science. MSG is used as a major flavor enhancer in the food science world, to say the least, it keeps us hooked and wanting more, as ordinary food can be very bland in comparison. MSG actually occurs naturally in some foods but in much lower quantities in things like broth (I can't tolerate beef bone broth I'm so sensitive). It stimulates the 'umami' or savory tastebuds, and since we aren't used to getting such high doses of it I would say that it probably stimulates cravings for this as well. I wonder what neurotransmitters it releases, that particular taste is known to be soothing and satiating. When I ingest it it's like I ate actual poison and it takes my body and nervous system weeks to recover. My GI system goes crazy, I get migraines, anxiety, waves galore.

Oh, wow...did not know that. I'll have to check my pup's food. Thanks for the heads up! Our dog hates his kibble, even though it's fairly pricey. He only eats it when we haven't given him enough people food. Probably a good thing. I always give him the fatty scraps and  a bit of whatever else we're eating. Little guy loves almonds and other nuts. Go figure. Not hard to feed, as long as it isn't dog food or fruit.

You might also check the food (if it is coming out of a factory) of ingredients like wood and plastics which they are allowed to use as fillers.

As soon as I had done some research I stopped and started to barf her. Unbelievable.

[75...]

I totally spaced since memory is always spotty, to say that the reason MSG or even natural glutamate in foods triggers us is because most of our wd symptoms are probably due to the overabundance of the neurotransmitter glutamate in our bodies (due to downregulated GABA receptors, glutamate is opposite to GABA, the calming neurotransmitter). Glutamate is the excitatory neurotransmitter. Consuming it seems to rev up symptoms and this is probably why.

I like this article on it: https://chriskresser.com/beyond-msg-could-hidden-sources-of-glutamate-be-harming-your-health/

I'm so glad you posted this because it just became clear why all my seemingly random food sensitivities make me sick, they have for years!! It's really a relief to know why. I can't consume anything below with getting sxs, not to mention all the food additives and msg itself, just in case anyone has this issue I'll put this list from the article:

NATURAL SOURCES

• Foods matured, cured, or preserved, such as matured cheeses (Parmesan and Roquefort) and cured meats

• Fish sauce

• Soy sauce and soy protein

• Mushrooms

• Ripe tomatoes

• Broccoli

• Peas

• Walnuts

• Grape juice/ red grapes

• Bone broths and meats cooked for long times (generally using moist cooking methods such as braising)

• Malted barley used in breads and beer

• Wheat gluten

• Dairy casein

Gelatin and Collagen are also high and I was consuming a lot of this and bone broth on Paleo.

Thank you diana,  I need to avoid the additives whenever possible.  The natural sources are more difficult for me.  Brocc, peas and ripe tomatoes are growing in my garden.  Hopefully, my system will heal and Gaba can take care of business again!