The Power of Staying Positive

[NH...]

I am sure most people know this but a reminder never hurts, and I suppose there are perhaps a few who might find this information new. I figure it can't hurt to share it.

Staying positive is a big deal. A really really big deal.

I have my bad days and my good days but without a doubt when I am in a positive frame of mind my sxs are much less.

On a bad day it's a fight to even feel positive and sometimes I just need to get a nap in to reset the feeling and try again so to speak.

On a good day things can be amazing but then 1 negative encounter can make it feel like I just jumped back to day 1 of WD.

This is why it's so important.

The things I have noticed that yank me out of a good day and put me in a foul mood are typically avoidable things. Getting in an argument is a big one. I avoid people that I know have a different opinion from me and that like to try and force their opinion on others.

I don't read or watch the news often because it is really, "The Bad News."

If you use YouTube, avoid the comments sections. They are absolutely filled with negativity on most subjects.

Surround yourself with positive people to the best of your ability.

Find tips and tricks to combat each individual sxs and you will feel like you are fighting back and making meaningful progress. Feeling hopeful is a good feeling.

Other tips that help are simply being helpful. When you do something terrible you feel terrible. When you do something good you feel good. Having an outburst and yelling at family makes anxiety worse. Helping family or friends with something makes you feel good.

When you lose control and do have an outburst you have to realize it's the WD, not you.

For me, going through this WD, the effects of these feelings are extremely amplified, so it is 100 times more important to be mindful of the positive or negative state I am in.

I realize that sometimes when you are hurting being around positive people can be annoying. Finding ways to move past that feeling will do wonders for helping you cope with the sxs.

I don't have all the answers, and I know in text I might seem like a "know it all." But I went through this almost completely alone for 1.5 years, the worst parts of it. I could share all the horrible stories from that time but that would be counter intuitive to the message I am trying to get across with this post.  ;)

There was a time when I didn't have a single day that could be considered "positive." That changed when I started to break my sxs down into specifics and finding tricks and tips to cope with each one, starting with the worst of them.

The absolute biggest change was realizing the power of staying positive.  :)

NHF1976,

I'm with you on this!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I would add, change language to most accurately reflect your condition, sxs etc.  Come up with your own friendly descriptors.  :) And make note of every tiny improvement.

"and I know in text I might seem like a "know it all."  Nope, you sure don't sound like a know it all.  Nothing wrong with sharing what you learned, and the benefits of an experience. 

-PH

• 1 month later...
I loved your post!!! These are the ones I NEED to read!!! They give be hope and remind me of the power of positive thinking!  I try to avoid some posts based on the subject because they tend to get me thinking the worst!  I need to remember that as much as the mind can get negative during WD , the mind can also be a very powerful tool in the healing!  Please keep spreading your positive messages! I needed this today!👍🏻

• 3 weeks later...