Calling ALL Cat People!

[ea...]

Some of you know how devoted I am to my cat, Bear. He has been with me for 3 years now. I could not have asked for a better cat. I adore this guy and wish I knew how to post a photo of him. I am so NON techie its funny.

I would love to chat with other Cat People. I do think cat people are somehow different, but  not sure why. I have always related to cats and not at all to dogs. Dogs smell just awful to me! I grew up in Maryland back when it was true country. Horses, cows, pigs, sheep, etc. And none of those things stunk like dogs do!

All my life I have cared for cats. When I got off benzos almost 7 years ago, I had 5 beloved cats. Sadly, age or disease took them from me. I STILL miss them.

My Bear is truly a companion animal. If I am home, he will be very near me. (Unless he is fast asleep!)  Almost every day he makes me laugh. We start our mornings with me listening to the Today Show and using a wand toy to get Bear active. He is not the most graceful cat. He weighs about 15 lbs, and when he jumps to catch the "birdie" he often just falls to the carpet.

I personally need a break from benzo wd stuff. I would love to start a group of Crazy Cat Ladies and Gents.

east

I need to talk about this. For about a year, I have been feeding a feral cat. He (according to some neighbors) was born feral from an abandoned female cat. He is half Siamese and half DSW. And NOT neutered, of course. If I could have caught him my vet does free neuters on stray cats, but this guy was too wiley. Five days ago he showed up again and has obviously been badly hurt. I found out a neighbors pitbull dog mauled him plus other cats as well. Tell me why I should not dislike pitbull dogs! I dislike dogs but they scare the heck out of this little old lady. He looked awful. Both eyes swollen and almost shut. Swellings, cuts...omg it hurt me so much to look at him. He isn't even eating much but he does know to come near me, he knows I do provide food. Last evening he showed up in the same condition and I wanted to cry. I brought out food but he didnt each hardly any. I have been praying for God to take this cat and give him his deserved peace. His entire life was ruined by human beings and I am so ashamed of humans. WORST species ever created.

On to happier stuff, but please say a prayer for Spook, the cat, and let him go in peace. He needs to go to God, and soon.

Went to get my hair cut this afternoon, and Buggy, the "house cat" was snoozing on one of the empty chairs. He too is half Siamese, but NOT feral. He showed up at Lorenzos several years ago and they always feed him and protect him. I think that is just wonderful. Because of silly health laws, they post a sign at the front door saying  "We are trying to keep Buggy OUT of the office" but in all truth, they only do that to prevent some nosy county agent from citing them. Animal control in my county is pretty strict.

Bear is slowly maturing. He had a delayed kitten hood due to being abandoned. He is finally settling down, and what a joy he is. He now wakes me up every morning by butting his big head against mine, gently, and purring so loudly I have to wake up. I find this utterly charming and what a good way to start my day!

Bear is slowly maturing

This is my only platform to talk about what is hurting me now. Spook, that feral cat, was here when I got home. He weighs about 5 lbs now, thin and waste. Both eyes injured and almost closed. He IS dying now but I just wish God would take him now. I gave him food and like yesterday, he did not eat it at all. He seems to feel sort of safer here, and he is still lying on my sidewalk suffering so greatly it just about kills me. I am crying now. I beg God to take that cat. I put a large plastic bag and gloves out front and told my two neighbors why it is there.

I am so disgusted with humans tonight. Only humans created that feral cat, by not neutering their own cats. Such misery and millions of dogs and cats die because of us humans. I find tis truly disgusting. If I had a gun I would put Spook out of his misery. But I do not and never will.

God, please take that cat soon and let him feel peace and pain free for once.

This really, really hurts me right now. I am truly in pain tonight. And for once, it is not due to benzos.

east (and Bear, who will never have to suffer like Spook is tonight.

Spook did not show up tonight. I hope and pray God took him last night. And right now I truly HATE all human beings, because we caused this. Irresponsible humans did this to him and SO many others. God sure made some errors creating us. We are the only species who kills, tortures, for pleasure.

Mr Bear is, and I kid you not, the absolute best cat I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. His devotion to me is total and complete and as he has matured more now (he is 3.5 years old) our bond has only gotten stronger. I adore this cat and someday I will figure out how to post a photo of him. I am SO technically challenged!!! Even if I leave my apartment for an hour, when I get home he is waiting right inside my front door. Some small part of him is still a bit scared he will be left alone.

Again: humans did this to him. He once had a sort of home and was socialized but then just abandoned. I HATE humans that do this.

NOT in a good mood tonight, but I will recover, I always do.

I don’t have another cat yet, but I’m a crazy cat lady!!  I’m so sorry for Spook!  How can he be so neglected by owners.... you have such a huge loving heart! ❤️

Your Bear is 15 pounds?  Huge guy!!  Graceful too LOL. 

SaraSue  :smitten:

Hi SS!

Bear is NOT graceful at all. He is big boy but not fat. Maybe a tiny bit chunky, but very healthy and happy now that he has a true home. We have a morning routine. I get up, wash my face, etc., and then turn on the Today Show. I listen to that and use a wand toy to play with Bear. He can jump quite high but often falls on his side. A bit clumsy, this lovable cat is. I cannot tell you how much I LOVE how he wakes me up every day! He puts his head against mine, gently, and purring so loudly I HAVE to wake up! Who wouldn't love a cat like this?

I just hope Spook really is gone. That cat suffered so badly because of us stupid humans. This just about does me in, I feel so awful for his life. Never trusted a human, and I don't blame him for that. He had NO reason top trust a human and he lived 3 years hiding from humans and searching for food in any way he could. My last best cat, Oreo, was also abandoned. And left to starve. He didn't but only because I and maybe several neighbors fed him. He was so different from Bear. A bit aloof, and he would have been just as happy living outdoors until he died. But when I brought him inside, he was so happy, and laid in a basket I lined with flannel and other soft fabrics, for two weeks, purring and looking so happy. He died of inflammatory bowel disease 3 years later. But I also know that Orrie would have been just as happy living out his time outdoors. Completely different from Bear, who NEVER tries to go outside.

We crazy cat ladies are different. Have you ever figured out HOW we are different? I know we are, but....

much love to you, sweetie. You are getting there and starting to heal no matter how you feel today.

Annie

I am almost sure Spook died the other night. I mean, he was almost dead when he showed up. He looks so awful, so horrible. My heart is breaking for that cat who never had a single chance at a normal life. I also think its extrodinary that he showed up at MY door on that last miserable day of his short life. I may have been the only human he trusted AT ALL. I wish I could have done better for him, but being poor prevented this. Oh my God, why does this stuff happen to innocent animals? We are all creatures in Gods eyes, and God did not intend humans to be so freaking awful. And I don't even know if I believe in a God, so think of it as a higher spirit. Jesus, Buddha and other great spiritual leaders never said humans should kill for sport or hurt other living beings. Yes, we all; eat and it is nature that we do eat each other (not literally in humans....NO Hannibal Lector stuff.) And I believe that humans, being supposedly the smartest animal, should have the basic decency to kill HUMANELY if we need to eat our fellow creatures. Another reason I am mostly vegetarian.

I have started a new online journal but wont mention where it is. It is good to feel free to write about whatever I want to. I may be 99.9% healed but like almost all of us, I still have unsolved issues related to benzos and my childhood. And I do need to write about them in order to continue healing.

Annie and BearBear

I LOVE cats! When we lived in the country I was a "cat mom", and helped those who were homeless. I had at most 15 cats. So many kittens.  :'(

Everyone was so kind and grateful, and then they didn't want to be out. Probably too much negative memories. One of them slept 15 hours in a row, on my bed, when she had entered.

Now I'll read everything in this thread!

:smitten:

Hi Annie!

I think Spook is in a better place.  You have an amazing and loving heart!!  Orrie and you were blessed to find each other.  I want a (big) basket lined in flannel and soft things!!

I’m so thankful you have Bear (and Bear has you)!!!  What fun mornings must be at your home!!  Entertaining Bear!!  I’m on the lookout for a rescue cat!

It’s pouring rain ... some idiot is mowing?  Going to take a peek (to see).

Hugs to you and Bear! Sara

I love cats. So sorry about Spook. That would have broken my heart.

We have a dog, but I got that to shut my husband up. I wanted another cat. I have 2 kitties, one plays with the dog, and the other hates him. My husband nagged me for the longest time to get a dog, and made me pick it out, as I had told him it had to be a dog I could love. Settled for a dachshund/terrier mix. I love the dog, but he's such high maintenance compared to a cat. You can leave the cat with food, water, and a clean litter pan, and leave for a week. Dog, not so much. Gotta go out, no matter what the weather, has to be house broken (that was a chore), and we can't sleep late anymore, cause the dog has to go out. And then there's the chewing and eating everything he can get into his mouth until all his adult teeth come in. Out in our yard, we have elk poop, turkey poop, cat poop, deer poop, fox poop, and mountain lion poop. It is so freaking gross to have to dig that crap out of the dog's mouth all the time when they're a puppy.

Give me cats. I'd have a whole houseful if I could manage it. A cat, show them where the litter pan is, show them where the food, water and scratching post is, and you're done. Except for the occasional bitchfest to yell at them about shredding the furniture, cleaning the cat box, and refilling the food and water.

And cats eat bugs and spiders. And they purr. What's not to love?

OH! What a nice gift to get today. Replies on this thread makes me happy. Cats have always been a part of my life. Never cared for dog, their smell actually makes me a bit nauseous. Cats don't stink, they usually cover their poo and they are clean little creatures.

Plus for some reason I just relate to them much more. I have always loved animals of almost any sort (except for monkeys, as I find them kinda gross.) But I am that person who would break suddenly to avoid hitting a squirrel or rabbit.

I find cats so interesting. They all have their own distinct personalities. Bear is a devoted cat, he is only devoted to me and NO ONE else and I doubt he ever will relate to another human. My other cats were not like this. But Bear is and he is also the best cat of my entire  life. I honestly do think that by getting off benzos, I was much more sensitive with cats and I let Bear chose me instead of I choosing him. I did not plan to adopt so soon. In the past, I always had rescue cats, or cats at the Shelter. I picked them for some dumb reasons, like how they looked, instead of how they reached out to me. My first wonderful cat chose me, but my second, did not. That was Wilson, a blue eyed white cat who was stone deaf. I got him as a kitten, and he only lived to be 10 years old. Teddy, my adored cat in Boston was about 20 when he passed. Talk about pain, when that cat went.

Sara Sue, yes, Spook is at peace now. But how much he suffered over his e3 years of life just horrifies me. And truly makes me not like human beings. I am not religious but this past couple weeks I have talked with God or whatever, to ask that Spook be comforted now and that he knows I tried to help him.

Translator, when I rescued Oreo after he was abandoned,  set up a comfy basket of flannel stuff in my  spare bedroom. I alreasdy had Peggy Sue, a tiny kitty missing a hind leg. I put Orrie in the basket and shut the door, and Oreo slept and purred for over a week. Once I introduced them to each other, they never did get to be friends. Separate but equal. Oreo was such an interesting looking cat. Black and white and what is referred to as a "cow cat." Mostly white with large circles of black and other black markings. His personality was just....mellow. He  never moved fast. He never wanted to play. It was like he was in sort of a slow motion mode. Nor was he young, perhaps 8 years ago when I took him in...?  I knew, however that he would have been just as happy living out the rest of his life outdoors. That was just Oreo. But Bear is entirely different. He LOVES being indoors and is SO happy he found a real home.

Even now, when I need to little boost, I think this: "Orrie in a basket purring" and I calm right down. The  peaceful        look on his beautiful face that week I will never forget.

Eastcoast: I'm so sorry for your cat. We love them so much, and so sad when they are sick.

Positive memories of cats?

In my garden, there was a cat that was so skinny, and totally terrified. She hid when I brought food and anthelmintics. Every day, I moved the food closer and closer to my house. After 3 months she was outside my door. She had severe coughing. I opened the door, and 10 seconds later she fell asleep on my bed. She was no longer afraid. I took her in my arms, and she hugged me so hard. I was so relieved, and made me weep for joy. Then we visited a vet, and she had pneumonia (not the vet!).

She slept on my pillow every night, and was always by my side. When she was 18, she was old, and very, very tired. I understood that she was sick. So I went to the vet, she would not have to suffer.

I never forget this amazing cat!  :smitten:

I used to have 3 Maine Coon/Manx mixes. My favorite was Sebastian. He was kind of retarded (which is apparently typical for the Maine Coon/Manx mixes), but seemed to always know when I was feeling bad, and would come curl up with me. All 3 of the kitties would sleep in my bed with me, but Sebastian was the only one who would sleep next to me all night. I really miss that kitty.

Of course, I DON'T miss him smacking me in the mouth with his paw in the morning, when he thought I should be getting up. Well, maybe I do.

Just a note, I wouldn't use those flea drops on a cat. I won't, ever again. All 3 came down with hyperthyroid shortly after I started using it, and I'm not convinced the drops didn't have something to do with it. The hyperthyroid eventually killed all 3 of them. I only got to say goodbye to Mr. Figg. He died in Atlanta, right before we moved to Idaho. Sebastian and Tiber died while I was out on the road (I was driving truck for a living at the time).

Thanks for amazing stories! We never forget our cats. They create so much joy. But when we lose them, it's a family member who disappears. They will always be in our hearts.  :smitten:

Eastcoast: I'm so sorry for your cat. We love them so much, and so sad when they are sick.

Positive memories of cats?

In my garden, there was a cat that was so skinny, and totally terrified. She hid when I brought food and anthelmintics. Every day, I moved the food closer and closer to my house. After 3 months she was outside my door. She had severe coughing. I opened the door, and 10 seconds later she fell asleep on my bed. She was no longer afraid. I took her in my arms, and she hugged me so hard. I was so relieved, and made me weep for joy. Then we visited a vet, and she had pneumonia (not the vet!).

She slept on my pillow every night, and was always by my side. When she was 18, she was old, and very, very tired. I understood that she was sick. So I went to the vet, she would not have to suffer.

I never forget this amazing cat!  :smitten:

I don't usual quote like this but your story is so touching I just had to. What a wonderful st.ory. You did something SO kind and wonderful to help that cat. Just as I have helped many cats over my 69 years on Earth. Bear will probably be my last cat, but hi is the BEST cat ever.

I still jeep thinking about Spook and how he showed up just before he died. I absolutely know he died shortly after that. When a feral cat is so thin and weak he rests his head on a sidewalk he is near death. My going inside to find a plastic bag and gloves tells you how sure I was he was dying. It will take me some time to forget this. I just feel awful for him and I do blame humans for his misery.

Spook was never my cat. He was born feral, thanks to human beings. He never had a chance at having a good life. He always had to fend for himself since no human fed him. Over his three short years alive, he did find me and I often fed him. He would never get closer to me than about 10 feet. But - on his last day alive, he was only about 5 feet from me, and my heart just broke for him. He weighed about 2 lbs, just skin and bones. Both eyes swollen and almost shut. He managed a weak hiss at me, and did not eat the food I pout out for him. I think he somehow knew he should come to me on his final day on earth, for some sort of comfort. God almighty, I wish I could prevent things like this happening ever again. Animals  live just as we do. They may not THINK as we do, but they FEEL much we we do. They are capable of love, in a lightly different way than humans feel love. But that does not diminish it. Animals can be very loyal to the human it choses to feel safe with. And Spook somehow knew I was his safest human on his very last day. I take that as a huge honor.

Bear chose me and he was so right. How he knew Ii was the right human, I will never know. I just know he chose me and my life got better having him near me.

Thanks, fellow cat people. I do need to let this stuff out. Spook truly did touch my heart and I am still wounded from it.

What makes me so sad, and upset, is that many believe that cats are not worth so much. In Sweden there are thankfully no dogs in the street. But thousands of cats have no home.

I have had several neighbors, in the country, who have been so disrespectful. I asked about their 5 kittens. I got the answer: "we only have 2, the others were too small" - they had 2 grandchildren. Then I just wanted to cry, and they laughed at me.

And the cats, in the barn, didn't care when I wanted them to come to me - but it was the first time it happened, and they didn't have any names.

I know, there are amazing people who take care of dogs in America (esp.Tia Torres). Is there anything like this for cats?