Author Topic: Calling ALL Cat People!  (Read 527 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Calling ALL Cat People!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 11:37:54 pm »
OH! What a nice gift to get today. Replies on this thread makes me happy. Cats have always been a part of my life. Never cared for dog, their smell actually makes me a bit nauseous. Cats don't stink, they usually cover their poo and they are clean little creatures.
Plus for some reason I just relate to them much more. I have always loved animals of almost any sort (except for monkeys, as I find them kinda gross.) But I am that person who would break suddenly to avoid hitting a squirrel or rabbit.
I find cats so interesting. They all have their own distinct personalities. Bear is a devoted cat, he is only devoted to me and NO ONE else and I doubt he ever will relate to another human. My other cats were not like this. But Bear is and he is also the best cat of my entire  life. I honestly do think that by getting off benzos, I was much more sensitive with cats and I let Bear chose me instead of I choosing him. I did not plan to adopt so soon. In the past, I always had rescue cats, or cats at the Shelter. I picked them for some dumb reasons, like how they looked, instead of how they reached out to me. My first wonderful cat chose me, but my second, did not. That was Wilson, a blue eyed white cat who was stone deaf. I got him as a kitten, and he only lived to be 10 years old. Teddy, my adored cat in Boston was about 20 when he passed. Talk about pain, when that cat went.

Sara Sue, yes, Spook is at peace now. But how much he suffered over his e3 years of life just horrifies me. And truly makes me not like human beings. I am not religious but this past couple weeks I have talked with God or whatever, to ask that Spook be comforted now and that he knows I tried to help him.

Translator, when I rescued Oreo after he was abandoned,  set up a comfy basket of flannel stuff in my  spare bedroom. I alreasdy had Peggy Sue, a tiny kitty missing a hind leg. I put Orrie in the basket and shut the door, and Oreo slept and purred for over a week. Once I introduced them to each other, they never did get to be friends. Separate but equal. Oreo was such an interesting looking cat. Black and white and what is referred to as a "cow cat." Mostly white with large circles of black and other black markings. His personality was just....mellow. He  never moved fast. He never wanted to play. It was like he was in sort of a slow motion mode. Nor was he young, perhaps 8 years ago when I took him in...?  I knew, however that he would have been just as happy living out the rest of his life outdoors. That was just Oreo. But Bear is entirely different. He LOVES being indoors and is SO happy he found a real home.

Even now, when I need to little boost, I think this: "Orrie in a basket purring" and I calm right down. The  peaceful        look on his beautiful face that week I will never forget.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 08:20:26 am »
[...]: I'm so sorry for your cat. We love them so much, and so sad when they are sick.

Positive memories of cats?

In my garden, there was a cat that was so skinny, and totally terrified. She hid when I brought food and anthelmintics. Every day, I moved the food closer and closer to my house. After 3 months she was outside my door. She had severe coughing. I opened the door, and 10 seconds later she fell asleep on my bed. She was no longer afraid. I took her in my arms, and she hugged me so hard. I was so relieved, and made me weep for joy. Then we visited a vet, and she had pneumonia (not the vet!).

She slept on my pillow every night, and was always by my side. When she was 18, she was old, and very, very tired. I understood that she was sick. So I went to the vet, she would not have to suffer.

I never forget this amazing cat!  :smitten:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:49:21 am by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 01:56:36 pm »
I used to have 3 Maine Coon/Manx mixes. My favorite was Sebastian. He was kind of retarded (which is apparently typical for the Maine Coon/Manx mixes), but seemed to always know when I was feeling bad, and would come curl up with me. All 3 of the kitties would sleep in my bed with me, but Sebastian was the only one who would sleep next to me all night. I really miss that kitty.

Of course, I DON'T miss him smacking me in the mouth with his paw in the morning, when he thought I should be getting up. Well, maybe I do.

Just a note, I wouldn't use those flea drops on a cat. I won't, ever again. All 3 came down with hyperthyroid shortly after I started using it, and I'm not convinced the drops didn't have something to do with it. The hyperthyroid eventually killed all 3 of them. I only got to say goodbye to Mr. Figg. He died in Atlanta, right before we moved to Idaho. Sebastian and Tiber died while I was out on the road (I was driving truck for a living at the time).

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 03:04:58 pm »
Thanks for amazing stories! We never forget our cats. They create so much joy. But when we lose them, it's a family member who disappears. They will always be in our hearts.  :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 11:53:09 pm »
[...]: I'm so sorry for your cat. We love them so much, and so sad when they are sick.

Positive memories of cats?

In my garden, there was a cat that was so skinny, and totally terrified. She hid when I brought food and anthelmintics. Every day, I moved the food closer and closer to my house. After 3 months she was outside my door. She had severe coughing. I opened the door, and 10 seconds later she fell asleep on my bed. She was no longer afraid. I took her in my arms, and she hugged me so hard. I was so relieved, and made me weep for joy. Then we visited a vet, and she had pneumonia (not the vet!).

She slept on my pillow every night, and was always by my side. When she was 18, she was old, and very, very tired. I understood that she was sick. So I went to the vet, she would not have to suffer.

I never forget this amazing cat!  :smitten:

I don't usual quote like this but your story is so touching I just had to. What a wonderful st.ory. You did something SO kind and wonderful to help that cat. Just as I have helped many cats over my 69 years on Earth. Bear will probably be my last cat, but hi is the BEST cat ever.
I still jeep thinking about Spook and how he showed up just before he died. I absolutely know he died shortly after that. When a feral cat is so thin and weak he rests his head on a sidewalk he is near death. My going inside to find a plastic bag and gloves tells you how sure I was he was dying. It will take me some time to forget this. I just feel awful for him and I do blame humans for his misery.

Spook was never my cat. He was born feral, thanks to human beings. He never had a chance at having a good life. He always had to fend for himself since no human fed him. Over his three short years alive, he did find me and I often fed him. He would never get closer to me than about 10 feet. But - on his last day alive, he was only about 5 feet from me, and my heart just broke for him. He weighed about 2 lbs, just skin and bones. Both eyes swollen and almost shut. He managed a weak hiss at me, and did not eat the food I pout out for him. I think he somehow knew he should come to me on his final day on earth, for some sort of comfort. God almighty, I wish I could prevent things like this happening ever again. Animals  live just as we do. They may not THINK as we do, but they FEEL much we we do. They are capable of love, in a lightly different way than humans feel love. But that does not diminish it. Animals can be very loyal to the human it choses to feel safe with. And Spook somehow knew I was his safest human on his very last day. I take that as a huge honor.

Bear chose me and he was so right. How he knew Ii was the right human, I will never know. I just know he chose me and my life got better having him near me.

Thanks, fellow cat people. I do need to let this stuff out. Spook truly did touch my heart and I am still wounded from it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 09:48:35 am »
What makes me so sad, and upset, is that many believe that cats are not worth so much. In Sweden there are thankfully no dogs in the street. But thousands of cats have no home.

I have had several neighbors, in the country, who have been so disrespectful. I asked about their 5 kittens. I got the answer: "we only have 2, the others were too small" - they had 2 grandchildren. Then I just wanted to cry, and they laughed at me.
And the cats, in the barn, didn't care when I wanted them to come to me - but it was the first time it happened, and they didn't have any names.

I know, there are amazing people who take care of dogs in America (esp.Tia Torres). Is there anything like this for cats?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:54:10 am by [Buddie] »