15 Years but getting there

[Nu...]

Been on Benzos for 15 years, tried to get off three or four times (can’t remember, because my memory is stuffed). Was on alprazolam and Valium mix, then went to 40mg of Valium. Spent 14 months getting down to 18mg, and things are getting tough. On previous tapers it only got tough around 5mg, so this feels like Kindling. Not taking any SSRIs, as they have extreme side effects. Looking at maybe changing my psych and trying Gaba to make it easier, but who knows. Finding ‘acceptance’ of discomfort helps, but also want less discomfort.

Hello Numinous777 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad that you joined our community, I am sure you will get plenty of sound advice and support here as you continue on your journey to be benzo free.  You have a great attitude, acceptance will help you deal with the unpleasant symptoms.  It does get more difficult with each taper, you will eventually come through this ordeal!    You have already  done a great job with your taper this far, well done.   

Tapering slowly is the way to go, the rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s okay to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Alternative Therapies & Supplements

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the group! Congratulations on tapering yourself down so far from these awful drugs. Although each subsequent withdrawal can be more difficult  with more extreme symptoms it's not impossible to do. Please do take the time to read the important links that the moderators left for you it helped me a lot when I felt informed. So stay strong and hang in there you can do this!