swollen gums? anyone else?

[jo...]

So my gums are swollen.  I take fairly good care of my teeth.  If you were to just look at my teeth, they are in good shape.  Gum issues do not run in my family.  I'm only 30 years old.  I went to dentist and he said I had early gum disease.  I had a deep cleaning performed.  Said as long as I get cleanings and keep up the good oral hygiene the inflammation should go away but I'm beginning to think this is withdrawal related as when I'm in a wave the inflammation seems to be worse.  I take good care of my teeth.  I don't understand.  My gums do not bleed and they are not red, they are just swollen. I've never had any gum issues prior to the benzo withdrawal.  My throat is also a lil swollen.  Doctor said its probably just allergies but I really think it's withdrawal related as well. just wondering if maybe someone else has dealt with these issues. 

jones,.

I had this same symptom. My gums were swollen and that itched like crazy for about a month. I did not know benzo wd could do this so I assumed I had some awful disease causing. My tongue itched too. Truly a weird sensation. Eventually this went away but other weird symptoms occurred. Because  you have taken good care of your teeth, I would guess it is benzo related. The entire GI tract has a LOT of gaba receptors. And when you get off benzos, they all go a bit crazy.

But if it would make you feel better, go see your dentist. Sometimes we just need reassurance, not that your dentist will know a thing about benzo wd (unless he is a BB member!)

east

I did see a dentist.  He said I had early gum disease but its early on and very manageable.  I've never had any issues with gums.  It makes me so mad.  I got a deep cleaning performed.  He said inflammation should go away in 10 to 14 days but its not going away.  I think it's due to the withdrawal.  I dunno guess I'll have to go back and see him if it doesn't get better.

jones,.

I had this same symptom. My gums were swollen and that itched like crazy for about a month. I did not know benzo wd could do this so I assumed I had some awful disease causing. My tongue itched too. Truly a weird sensation. Eventually this went away but other weird symptoms occurred. Because  you have taken good care of your teeth, I would guess it is benzo related. The entire GI tract has a LOT of gaba receptors. And when you get off benzos, they all go a bit crazy.

But if it would make you feel better, go see your dentist. Sometimes we just need reassurance, not that your dentist will know a thing about benzo wd (unless he is a BB member!)

east

How long did your gum inflammation last?

Jones,

I had this too! It came and went away in periods. I used Listerine moutwash when I had it but i don't know if that helped a bit or the symptom just disappeared by itself.

• 2 weeks later...
For me this lasted maybe 6 months, max. Having ITCHING gums is truly hard to bear, plus they felt swollen and hurt as well. Even my darn teeth itched and burned. I tried sucking on ice cubes, mouth washes and nothing made it go away except Father Time.

I do have the same...my gums are not really healthy though, I need to see the dentist, but when I am in a wave it`s painful , even my teeth hurt, so yes, it's part of the adventure....unfortunately