Protein Powder

[go...]

I'm trying to get back into doing proper intensity exercise again. I was wandering why people use protein powder. I much prefer to keep my diet full of natural whole foods with no supplements, but I understand I am not in a normal position regaining muscle and endurance after a basically a year with little to no exercise and extreme muscle wastage.

Has anyone been bedridden at one stage then got back to a normal level of endurance and strength, if so what steps did you take. I have been exercising for a few months but I want to start proper weights, sprints and some kind of endurance running.

Any benefits to protein powder?

That's awesome that you're getting back into working out/life. I remember you were one of the first people whose posts I started reading. I have also been exercising as of late. I don't know much about protein powder though. Just keep building up and going slowly with your workouts. You will get that strength back.

There’s a lot of free glutamate in protein powder. Maybe just try something natural like a chicken breast?

I can't drink a chicken breast.  Liquid nutrition has been a savior thru acute and after.  I add a protein powder to an elaborate smoothie every morning.  Do what works for you. 

I see that many people eat eggs after working out. Some eat only the white part. A few eat boiled egg, which is practical. I sometimes do it but most times I don't worry about it. Just to workout works for me.

• 2 weeks later...
I use pea protein powder. I just don't eat enough during the day, and don't eat much meat/fish, I don't do dairy, and very little in the way of eggs. When I do eat, it's Dr. Greger's version of whole foods plant based. The backs of my legs feel funky (weak?) when I haven't had enough protein, so I know when I need to gack down a shake.

• 4 weeks later...
I've tried two different plant based protein powders during my taper (I used to drink muscle milk protein powder, but eventually realized that was making me feel awful). The first was Vega One, which is a pea based protein powder. The second was Orgain protein powder which is a combination of pea, rica, and chia seed protein. My body seems to respond much better to the Orgain protein powder. Although I can't really put my finger on what it is, I just tend to feel better drinking the Orgain than I do drinking the Vega One. I've had both the 'Creamy Chocolate Fudge" and Vanilla Bean flavors without any issues.

I have knowledge about this. Protein powder is good for extra protein you can take it after a meal. Make sure it is whey isolate, not concentrate or hydrolyzed whey.