Started tapering today from 6mg valium

[JJ...]

Hi guys,

Newbie here :)

Cut down from 6mg to 5.5mg today...

Feeling a bit strange, or am I imagining it??  :-\

Does a cut usually have immediate effect/impact in others’ experience?

Went for a long hike in a local forest now craving junky food..... which is unusual for me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [JJ...]

• [Fo...]

• [de...]

• [st...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tweed,

Just going to roll with it. Going to keep myself as active as possible.

Work on Monday should be interesting..... have told my boss to expect me to be a bit off the planet. Plan to taper every 10 days. Am soooo over this. Also stopped vaping 2 weeks ago, so just slogging through, feeling emotional and anxiety ridden.... but that’s nothing new. Trying to embrace it rather than escape it.

Will keep going! Same to you my friend  :D

Well... day 2 done. Just feel tired... and morning coffee made me feel horrible for a couple of hours. Also had some lightheaded/dizziness earlier in the day...Think I’m going to try tomorrow without caffeine. So far so good though.

They advise avoiding caffeine by and large and alcohol.

I like the structure of your withdrawal. Remember the next cuts get smaller -)

Treat yourself to exercise good food and a massage ?..

Dick

Hi guys,

Newbie here :)

Cut down from 6mg to 5.5mg today...

Feeling a bit strange, or am I imagining it??  :-\

Does a cut usually have immediate effect/impact in others’ experience?

Went for a long hike in a local forest now craving junky food..... which is unusual for me.

Because of its long half-life, you typically won't feel a diazepam cut for 5-7 days.

Exactly Builder, I thought it was a walk in the park til days ten to twenty days of diazepam reduction by 25%

With seroquel it was about day 6 and I felt dire. 

Mirtazipine has a long half life so I guess I must expect a dip after a week or so.

Thanks

D

When I jumped cold from 2mgs Valium it took about 2 weeks to get kicked in the head. 

Reinstated and began tapering.  Cuts during taper impacted 4-5 days later, if my memory serves me well.  My memory is always in doubt, now. 

Definitely longer than 24 hours. 

Dee

End of day 3. Caffeine free = a bit better.

Days 4-5 don’t have to go to work which is good.

Upset tummy..... hearing and vision seem a little distorted too and palpitations....

Hard to know what’s going on as probs nicotine and alcohol withdrawal happening too.

Bracing myself for some uncomfortableness over n3xt few days... in a way looking fwd to next cut in a warped curiosity self flagelistic kind of way....

Day 4 / 96 hours in to taper - starting to feel it a bit more.

Feeling mooooody...very tired...low appetite....diahhorea.

Totally unable to concentrate, strange thoughts, weird dreams last night, not the best sleep.

Otherwise nothing too dramatic / unmanageable.

At this stage feeling pretty positive I will cut another 0.5mg on day 8.

Day 8 - tapered again yesterday, down to 5mg. NIGHTSWEATS!!!!! are chronic. Was so glad when morning came. Really vivid dreams.Woke up 3 times last night totally drenched had to flip the quilt and change top and bottom each time..

Also, metallic taste in mouth food tastes of nothing..

Gout has reappeared after being gone for months. SO PAINFUL, worst ever.

All in all getting hit from all directions.

Somehow holding it together at work, i think!?!

This is a battle.....

Are these normal symptom of wd?

It’s classic withdrawal, hold if necessary. Perhaps you need to be on only 5% cuts now

Think it over, you’ve done so well

Dick

Thanks Dick that’s reassuring.

I will plod on, maybe hold for 10 days this time, will see how I feel on day 7... don’t want to get in to holding too long really...

I actually don’t feel too bad compared to when I dropped to 6mg which is a positive!

Today was ok, just a bit agitated and mild depersonalisation. Gout drug seems to be doing its job.

Last night was sweaty but at least I’m dreaming weird not scary. Trying to stay upbeat and let these wd symptoms just wash over me... wishing the days and nights away.. actually keeping this journal is really helping, I really appreciate the feedback.

Agree with forty.

Maybe hold?  Cut less.

As forty says, it is classic.

Classic crap.  ;D

It will improve JJ.  Slow and small, as your body dictates. 

Dee

Thanks Dee.

Yep trying to follow what my body dictates. Trying to eat clean which seems to make a difference. I think I’ve finally adjusted to no alcohol/caffeine/weed/nicotine and am feeling a lot less ups and downs within the day.

No nightsweats last night slept 8 hours straight through which was a surprise.

Feeling very lightheaded/upset tummy/emotional/itchy today, plumber coming around to quote for a bathroom renovation  :D should be fun.

The more I read on this forum the more I think that for me it comes down to grit and determination, developing coping mechanisms, and taking a mindful approach, accepting the symptoms and working through them without looking to quick fix or chemical solutions.

This week I’m going to start some physical exercise, probably go for a swim on Wednesday which is my midweek day off.

Back of my mind, still expecting big wd symptoms to hit at some point, pretty much guaranteed.........

Grit and determination do seem to be a large part of it, JJ. 

Who would go through this crap, without being fully determined to get off the garbage?

You are doing great.  True grit.  :)

You might avoid a "guaranteed big hit" JJ. 

I really hope so. 

Dee

I really hope so too Dee.

Had another night no nightsweats. Woohoo!

Wake up before alarm these days, not such a bad thing I guess.

Work was hard today, feeling off the planet, edgy conversations with complaining clients  :o

Head feels congested, fuzzy vision....

I’ve read about MSG being a bit dodgy during withdrawal, experienced it first hand last night, ate some chicken flavoured potato chips and felt horrible for hours...... becoming much more sensitive to food in general I think. Good old meat and 2 veg for dinner seems to work well. poached egg on toast for brekky.. have replaced morning coffee with rooibos tea. Peppermint tea after dinner, not sure if it makes me feel weird or net, trying to figure it out!

It's learning process JJ, and what you are experiencing pretty much par for the course. 

In the beginning, I didn't take much heed of food allergies being possible,  but ate a whole lot of cashews last week, and was proven wrong.  Felt bad for a few days. 

I ate them so as to help with weight loss, so even what was supposed to be good for me, turned out to be bad for me.  :)  Live and learn. 

Sometimes it's hard to know whether I feel weird because of WD, or whether I'm just thinking I feel weird.  :)  This stuff can be really confusing. 

Point is to just keep going, and as each day passes, our goal becomes more within our reach.  Grit and determination transform to acceptance, which is much gentler than the gritting of teeth.

It still sucks, though. 

Dee

Dee I think that grit IS acceptance, just keeping on keeping on, and accepting it for what it is.

I’m actually beginning to think this whole experience is going to make me a stronger, less f’d up human being in general. I don’t resent it... It has made me rethink everything, not just anxiety & alcohol, which is what led me to Valium initially... I mean my relationships, diet, LIFE..... ripping the bandaid off is RAW, but in a way I’m feeling a clarity I’ve never felt before....

Good on you JJ.  You've got the grit.  :)

If nothing else, this experience has really made me so much the stronger.  Strange we can feel so weak, yet so strong.  Feeling like I'm facing death, every second day of the week, yet still surviving, seems to have that effect.  :)

When talking with my ex-psychiatrist about the notion of death, he said, "yeah, but we don't really think we are going to die."  Little did he know, I did!

It's good getting strong. 

Rock on, JJ. 

Dee

Day 12 now - last night couldn’t get to sleep.. only got about 3 hours....

Had a big glass of sour cherry juice after dinner and made me feel super weird straight away, felt allergic and like a big lump stuck in my throat... then started watching something action packed on Netflix and felt off my face and wide awake...had to get up to take the boy to school at 8amand bathroom renovation started at 930am so no chance of wallowing in despair.....

Apart from that nothing major to report (apart from being generally moody and tired) got everything done that needed to be done today. Workman started demolishing the bathroom and I was running around shops getting taps, tiles etc... tomorrow and Friday work.

Have been cutting my middle of the day dose so far. Now down to 2mg morning, 1mg after lunch, 2mg before bed.. have noticed that I start feeling I need to take my evening dose a bit earlier now, start ‘feeling it’ at 730pm whereas it was 830pm before... but I’m still waiting the extra hour. Am actually in that hour as I write this....

Feeling I may as well taper another 0.5mg on Friday :) will probs just keep cutting the middle of the day dose I think. Once that’s done with not sure how I’ll go about it.. maybe 0.5 down in the morning, then 0.5 down at night.. yeah, not sure as yet.

Day 13 - slept well last night, work dragged but felt more in control than I have for over 6 months, I think no alcohol, nicotine, weed playing a huge part.

:thumbsup:

I think I know what a “window” is now.

My instincts are telling me to strip everything back to basics, not messing with supplements or anything like that.

What I eat and drink seems to be crucial. Keeping it simple and bland.

Now that I don’t vape, I go for a walk around the city at lunch and round the block in my breaks instead of hanging out with the smokers.

Side effects seeming more physical at the moment ie lump in throat, tiredness, achiness, but nothing too severe.

Actually looking forward to next cut, will do it on saturday....

Thanks Mendeelen.

Yesterday was a good day...

last night bizarre dreams and early wake today.

Ears ringing like nobody’s business this morning.... totally not feeling going to work..

But gotta go.  :-\

Day 14

Thanks.. wasn’t too bad. Maybe a bit too amped / intense with colleagues and clients!!

Am noticing the days where I have nothing to do are worse..

I imagine if I was just hanging around doing nothing this tapering would be Much more difficult.

Busy weekend ahead gonna cut the next 0.5 tomorrow.