Author Topic: potential problems w/ high fat/keto diet  (Read 1831 times)

[Buddie]

Re: potential problems w/ high fat/keto diet
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 05:59:00 pm »
Wow thanks, that makes a whole lot of sense because I was wondering if the kratom can cause ulcers. I've been tossing and washing it down with water. I need to start making a tea or smoothie from now on. I'm also eating matcha green tea powder on an empty stomach in the morning. Lately I've been chasing it down with aloe vera juice. But throughout the day I keep taking kratom on an empty stomach and all these drugs I take on an empty stomach. I probably have severe ulcers. No wonder I thought the cabbage juice wasn't helping enough.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 06:06:43 pm »
Didn't give me ulcers, I don't think (felt like it, though), but it did cause a shitload (no pun intended) of GI issues for me. I was afraid I was dying at one point. I detoxed off the kratom before tackling the K and the Z.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 09:48:43 am »
Have you ever had stomach ulcers [...]? I did a search related to kratom and stomach ulcers and a few things did come up that make me think it is possible.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kratom/comments/24d496/kratom_and_ulcers/
https://drugs-forum.com/threads/kratom-and-stomach-problems.152523/

I was using kratom all throughout the day too reducing often on an empty stomach. I was also ingesting matcha green tea powder on an empty stomach too in the morning and often putting them in capsules. I take other drugs and supplements on an empty stomach as well and with food. The problem is I'm always taking something, it's a struggle. I have issues with stimulants like caffeine, coca tea, and harder substances if they are around. I've been taking modafinil recently but that is going to end pretty soon because I'm down to the last 200mg. Despite having a sensitive CNS I still can't help myself due to the extreme depression and lack of motivation that I have which is why I enjoyed taking kratom. I have pain in the middle of my back right now this morning and this burning sensation in my throat and chest where my heart is.

Since I stopped keto a few days ago I've been losing more weight too which is starting to bother me. I am eating super clean though. I bought a bag of sprouted rolled oats and have been eating oatmeal as a first meal with strawberry slices. I did buy a few yams. These past few days I've been eating some lean Canadian bacon and scrambled eggs as a protein source. I ate some grain free granola too. I'm not counting calories but I think I'm eating enough. I did not eat any meat for several days in a row last week. Just all the stress and the extreme stomach pain is making me scared to eat. I'm about 157-158lbs. I've lost around 15-20lbs since starting keto back in Dec. 2018 I think. I think keto just causes extreme weight loss though which is why it became such a popular diet. It really helps withdrawing from meds though and it made me feel amazing which is why I kept doing it. I'm not sure how it has affected my health because of all the other variables. My blood work has been basically perfect since doing it though with the exception of borderline high cholesterol levels which I attribute to eating too much meat. It is pretty normal to have high cholesterol while doing keto I think.

One thing I keep noticing since coming off keto is I have ketones in my blood after waking up. I just checked and my blood ketone were 1.2mmol/L after not eating for 10 hours. My blood glucose levels were 103mg/dL and 98mg/dL. I took my blood glucose levels twice. I wasn't happy about that. Just seems kind of high and possibly prediabetes. Also, you are not supposed to check your blood sugar right after eating but I did compulsively after reintroducing lots of carbs. I ate around 70g of these rolled oats which was around 2 servings when I first reintroduced carbs and took my blood sugar 10-15 minutes after eating and it was 201mg/dL. A few hours after eating it was around 113mg/dL. I'm not sure if this is normal but I'm assuming it probably is. I just don't understand why I'm still registering as many ketones as I am though. Other than that, when I was doing keto I ate nuts all the time. I always had lots of undigested bits of macadamia nuts in my stool. There was undigested fat in my stool as well. I still have issues with having undigested fat in my stool possibly.

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 04:47:38 pm »
As a matter of fact, I have had stomach ulcers. Still have a peptic ulcer. Only gets aggravated now days if I overdo it on the beer/scotch. There's only a few supplements I'll take on an empty stomach. The rest, well, taking with food in my stomach might not do much for the efficacy, but at least my guts aren't in agony all the time. I haven't touched alcohol since three weeks before I started CT on the benzos/Z-drugs.

At my age, I wouldn't touch the keto diet with a ten foot pole. I do whole foods plant based, a la Dr. Greger and nutritionfacts.org. Yeah, I cheat every so often with a little portion of meat/eggs (absolutely NO dairy), but adhere to it for the most part. Dr. Greger wrote a book, "How Not to Die", and at least has the grace to point out when the studies he's citing have a conflict of interest. More than I can say for the people who simply say, "studies show..." If you can't cite the study, and who exactly sponsored it, and what the possible conflicts of interest are, then I'm just not interested.

Many of the studies dissing soy, grains, beans, etc, are put out/sponsored wholly or in part by Big Meat, Dairy, Sugar (rarely, mostly if it has to do with diabetes), and the Egg Board, who, coincidentally, also sponsor a lot of the studies that find in favor of the keto and paleo diets. Dr. Greger has done a number of short videos on that. Always check who has sponsored studies before you buy into them. Too many of these so-called "scientists" have direct ties with conflicts of interest. I'll give you that keto probably helps people who are having bad sxs, but I'd sure get off of it once the sxs abate.

I eat meat, but very little of it, as I have found it causes inflammation to various parts of my anatomy.

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 07:16:10 pm »
Thanks for sharing. I never feel satisfied unless I eat meat several days a week. That CT scan my doctor ordered is with contrast and without. According to what I read that's at least 20 mSv of radiation. I already had two abdominal CT scans 5 years ago in the ER which probably equal out to around 10-14 mSv each. This just seems too risky at this point. Like the odds of me having cancer don't justify the risks of getting this CT scan. I don't understand why the man wouldn't just give me an MRI. I asked him for one and explained that I didn't want to get abdominal CT scans because of the radiation risks. Not sure what to do here. I'm probably going to push back the appointment for this scan because I don't want to do it now. Maybe wait for these symptoms to get worse before I consider this stupid scan. I can't just get abdominal CT scans every time I get weird pains that possibly could be cancer. Fuck that.

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 08:02:22 pm »
I don't know how to put this delicately, so I'll just be blunt, which is my wont. Have you seen the studies with the correlation between meat and various abdominal area cancers? If you're that worried about cancer, you might want to check some of those studies out. Dr. Greger touches on a lot of them on his website, nutritionfacts.org.

I'm not telling you not to eat meat and dairy. I do myself on occasion (except dairy, we don't touch it), and I have pretty strong cravings for it in winter. I'm just saying try cutting back for a month or two and see if your gut improves. *shrug* Some do, some don't. Mine did. Then again, those on the carnivore diets say the same, but I think they're asking for trouble long term.

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 06:11:15 am »
I agree about not eating as much meat but it isn't easy for me right now. I've been eating way less though and not every day like I used to. I probably need to eat some red meat because it has been a while.

As of right now I've been getting these tiny red and purple spots on my arms and torso. Not sure if it is because of the omeprazole but this is the latest development. They may be called purpura or petechiae. Now I'm wondering if the pain in my upper left stomach is because of my spleen or if I have a type of blood cancer. Hard to tell what is causing it because I've been taking crazy amounts of supplements recently on top of the omeprazole. I slowed down with that, the last time I had one was last Sunday. My stomach and back is still bothering me but not as much as before. I think drinking bone broth on an empty stomach first thing in the morning when I take meds has helped. Recently, I've been taking stuff like green tea extract, nigella sativa extract, pqq, magnolia bark extract, baicalein, curcumin, some mushroom extracts, ashwagandha extract, kanna extract, a little noopept, fasoracetam, tianeptine, low doses of buprenorphine, that omeprazole. Also stuff like krill oil and coenzyme q 10 supplements. Some of the things mention I just skip days here and there.

I ate half a bag of these chickpea puffs called Hippeas yesterday and some of my stool was yellow. I [...] it's because of eating those very quickly in excess.
I decided not to do the CT scan for the time being. Overall, my energy level is decent and I feel okay. I've been tapering off the phenibut pretty painlessly. I should be done tapering that in a few weeks or so, and should be off everything else shortly after. Then I don't know what to do next. I'm seriously thinking of  buying a tent and living in the woods for a week with no food at all and just some water and maybe some electrolyte supplements incase I need them but nothing else, not even a phone. I just need to get away from all this crap I take. My room looks like vitamin shoppe there are so many containers of stuff laying around. I convince myself that most of this stuff is helping me and making me healthier but I don't even know what to think.

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 01:12:20 am »
I eat a whole foods plant based diet advocated by doctors like Ornish, Barnard, McDougall, Fuhrman, and Esselstyln. I personally think keto is unhealthy. Dr. Atkins had heart disease himself when he died. I would never eat a diet like this long-term. JMHO tho!

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 03:43:59 am »
I wonder if overeating keto foods did this to my stomach. I really overdid the macadamia nuts, the oils and meats. Maybe I flew too close to the sun. Paying the price

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 02:52:14 pm »
So my stomach has been getting better I think by eating alot of Manuka honey, like over 300g worth spread out three days. Energy level has been through the roof since getting to 500mg of phenibut. I managed to convince the GI doctor to order an abdominal MRI w/w/out contrast for the end of July so I don't have to get that CT scan I was worried about. My oral surgery appointment is this Friday so I'm going to find out what is going to happen with this cyst I have in my jaw I [...]. I think it shrunk alot but will see what the scan shows. I will be off the remaining amount of phenibut, memantine and buprenorphine in a few weeks. So my epic taper is coming to an end finally. I managed to get a window and a big reduction in ocd and anxiety symptoms by using ketamine. I've been walking on average of 10 miles a day for the past week. Been losing alot of weight too from not eating much. I'm down to 155lbs at 6'.