What was that dream-athon?

[Li...]

As my dose goes down, my sleep is coming back. For that I am very thankful.

Last night I slept from midnight or a little after and woke up at 6:30. Not a ton of sleep but decent.

But, I was feeling bad and have for the last few days. Maybe tapering too fast.

At 9 am I got back in bed just to rest but fell to sleep and dreamed from then until noon. The phone woke me up three times, and I was always in dream mode. I went to the bathroom once and was dreaming when I got up and was also dreaming at noon when I got up for the rest of the day.

Do tapers cause excessive dreaming? Is too much dreaming a problem? I still don't feel great but the flu feeling came before the marathon dreaming.

Thanks! LA

Excessive REM sleep with dreams is very normal. That was just about the only sleep I got during my accute and protracted withdrawal from Ambien. Dreams used to be the only way that I knew I had fallen asleep so I learned to really like them. I still have more dreams than I remember having years ago.

I had the same or similar experience this morning but was in nightmare mode for two or three hours. I hope that won't continue. It was stuff I'm dealing with in real life, so I suppose my brain is trying to sort out things I've made a mess of.

Thanks for responding. It is easier knowing that it's not just me and that it should level out at least mostly.

Not to fear Lilyann. Here is a quote from Dr. Ashton's manual on benzo withdrawal:

"On withdrawal, even after years of benzodiazepine use, there is a marked rebound increase in REMS which also becomes more intense. As a result, dreams become more vivid, nightmares may occur and cause frequent awakenings during the night. This is a normal reaction to benzodiazepine withdrawal and, though unpleasant, it is a sign that recovery is beginning to take place. When the deficit of REMS is made up, usually after about 4-6 weeks, the nightmares become less frequent and gradually fade away."