Gabapentin drowsiness and taper

[Be...]

Hello all,

I am taking gabapentin for paidor a couple of weeks now. I AM experiencing drowsiness during the day. Taking 4x100mg a day. Did anyone experience drowsiness while taking it? And did you eventually got off of it?

I am asking this because i am afraid that my nervous system will eventually adapt and no more drowsiness and that the adaptation to drowsiness could be just a sign that how hard will it be for the natural drowsiness will come back again.

Im afraid i will suffer, anyone has experience on this?

Thank you

My patients hated the drowsiness of Gaba so they got pregabalin for pain. However it’s sometimes tricky to get off.  The drowsiness eases.

Thats what i am afraid of. It eases, is just a sign of CNS adaptation and when you need to get off the reverse happens? To much hyper?

Your post is unclear. Is it for pain?  I think it’s a dreadful drug but I used old fashioned tricyclics for neuropathic pain or carbamazepine.

Yes feet pain. What i am saying is when my brain gets use to it would be a bad sign a since when you taper off i will have hyperexcitability, right? Trycliclics kill your heart, long QT, etc, carbamazepin is hard on your liver and also causes drowsiness, gabapentin seems the less dreadfull.

Is this diabetic neuropathy?  Or a short term issue——  Gaba might suit you and folk on here do come off it, mostly without problems.

Amitrip 25 mg doesn’t do anything to Qt interval- much less than most antidepressants and anyway check before using with EKG. Carbamazepine only used it in terminal care at v low doses.

I take pregabalin for night pain and don’t see a future without it and a return to 3 am starts and using NSAIs to get through shower. !!!

I would not be to scared of low dose Gaba and I apologise if I seemed to put you off it.

Best wishes

Dick

• 2 weeks later...
Heh. I wish it had caused drowsiness. Worked like an overdose of methamphetamine on me, complete with auditory hallucinations and paranoia.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh. I wish it had caused drowsiness. Worked like an overdose of methamphetamine on me, complete with auditory hallucinations and paranoia.

Mayavata what dose were you taking?

Perhaps you to sensitive to this dose. Why did you not start low?

How the hell should I know? It's what my doctor prescribed. Not like I researched it and asked for it. You can't buy it over the counter. I wouldn't touch that shit now if you paid me. At this point it's moot anyway. Had a good night's sleep last night, finally. Don't need it even if it had worked. I don't have anxiety, and tulsi is helping with the pain and muscle tension.

And I don't know if you had intended it this way, as stuff coming across in posts can be not what we actually meant, but I resent you implying that it was MY ignorance that had me on a dose that high. I didn't know Gabapentin from dog food. The dose is the doctor's responsibility. That's what the hell I pay him for. Hardly my fault if he's incompetent. Which I didn't figure out til recently. Not like I can prescribe that stuff for myself. At any rate, I'm staying away from ALL pharmaceuticals now. Too many bad reactions spoils the cheese.

The doctors usually have the idea that therapeutic doses are for anyone. I dont trust doctors anymore because of problems like yours. You are innocent and didnt knew i AM not blamming you. Usually when my doctor prescribe something i start everytime lower than what he prescribes to see how react. You may ask, why do i do this? Because i ended like you in the past. Lesson learned. And probably if you returned to your doctor saying you had that reaction thst ge would say that it was anxiety and he would probably up your dose even more.

Nah, my doctor takes me off stuff, rather than upping the dose. That's his MO. Which is why I never asked him to up the dose on the Z and K. He'd just say "nope" and take them from me. Just as well. Although he tried to up the dose of the Gabapentin, after I was up all night, paranoid and hallucinating. That's when I decided he was a complete moron, and not worth my time, money, or consideration. I had written him a THREE PAGE REPORT on how bad my reaction was. And he's tried to give me that shit THREE TIMES SINCE!!! Good thing I refused, or I'd be trying to CT that crap too. Hopefully next week will be the last time I ever have to see that dumbass.

Sad thing is, he used to be a really cool GP. Gave me alternatives when I couldn't afford the prescriptions, used to be pretty hip to alternative medicine. Now days, he's dissing me having a chiropractor. I don't know what happened, but now he's a pill pushing zomboid. It was a little while after the time ObamaCare was enacted that the cheese seemed to have slid off his cracker.