inpatient detox??

[pa...]

Hi community,

I am fortunate enough to have a window of opportunity to take a break from work for 2 months. I am willing to go through the suffering of rapid xanax tapering. I am currently at 0.75mg for 2 weeks, down from 1.00mg for 8 months.

Any thoughts on that? How about inpatient detox?

thanks!!

I don't really know palmm, and know nothing about Xanax, except that it is more potent than Valium. 

Personally,  I would use the 2 months to withdraw at home. 

Do you have to rapid taper?  Why not more slowly? 

Dee

Hi. Dr. Ashton, considered the leading authority on benzo withdrawal said “a slow and steady benzo withdrawal is nearly always successful”. I recommend reading the Ashton Proocol. Also, please notice in dark red on the B.B. website just below the language “outside exceptional circumstances, rapid withdrawal of Benzos is ill-advised and potentially dangerous.” 

My understanding is that inpatient detox doesn’t  know anything other than rapid ( probably because insurance won’t cover anything else).  Please take a look at Jim Hawks’s Application in the B.B. website. It can recommend a safe taper for you. Prsonally, I think two months for the amount of Xanax you propose is real rapid.

Wish you you the best!!

Hi community,

I am fortunate enough to have a window of opportunity to take a break from work for 2 months. I am willing to go through the suffering of rapid xanax tapering. I am currently at 0.75mg for 2 weeks, down from 1.00mg for 8 months.

Any thoughts on that? How about inpatient detox?

thanks!!

I wouldnt recommend this at all.  Many members, including me, have had dreadful experiences with so-called detoxes. They almost always ct you the minute you walk in. Mine was typical:

In 2009, I went to a voluntary hospital detox, sent there by a well meaning but clueless doctor to get off a high dose of xanax.  It was only 4 days, but it was awful.  Far from being an "easy" way to get off benzos, as some seem to think, it's literally going from the frying pan into the fire for most of us who've experienced it:

Nine years ago, I went to a major Seattle hospital for "detox" where the doctor was supposed to be a "benzo expert."  He wasn't, and I only saw him for a few minutes the whole time.  All they did was cold turkey me off a high dose of xanax, feed me, and monitor my blood pressure for 4 days.  I was the only benzo person on a floor full of alcoholics, and there was NO follow up treatment or counseling.  Price: $16,000 (2009).  Afterwards, I had hellish relentless symptoms that never stopped.  These were so bad that I reinstated 4 months later, only to taper off a few years later.  I'd kindled by then, and it took 2.5 years for me to heal.

So, don't assume detox will make your withdrawal easier and faster.  Most likely, it will have the opposite effect.

Inpatient detox = I do not personally recommend at all. They essentially CT you from benzos and pump you full of other meds to prevent you from seizing. I did this in 2006 and almost died IMO. The only way to safely come off these drugs is with a slow controlled taper with you in control. If you give this control over to an inpatient detox ctr, you will suffer beyond your wildest imagination, trust me! There is no easy, painless way to come off these drugs despite what these detox centers tell you!

I agree with Meghan. I was forced to go into one and it was a truly dreadful experience. Instant cold turkey and not even meds for other symptoms. But I also know some people just feel safer going in patient. This is a personal choice, but be prepared that the staff will NOT know a thing about benzo wd.

Hi. Dr. Ashton, considered the leading authority on benzo withdrawal said “a slow and steady benzo withdrawal is nearly always successful”. I recommend reading the Ashton Proocol. Also, please notice in dark red on the B.B. website just below the language “outside exceptional circumstances, rapid withdrawal of Benzos is ill-advised and potentially dangerous.” 

My understanding is that inpatient detox doesn’t  know anything other than rapid ( probably because insurance won’t cover anything else).  Please take a look at Jim Hawks’s Application in the B.B. website. It can recommend a safe taper for you. Prsonally, I think two months for the amount of Xanax you propose is real rapid.

Wish you you the best!!

100% true! Unless you are a masochist, stay away from inpatient detox!

They tried to rapid detox me off 3 mgs. of long term Klonopin. I feel they nearly killed me as they actually dropped a mg per day and gave me large amounts of remeron, benadry and beta blockers.

Luckily, there was a nurse there that checked my vitals and I don't know what they were but I was reinstated immediately and released within a few days. No apology, but just the statement that it was underlying PTSD type panic.

I hope that you reconsider. I also hope that you know alcohol messes up tapering or even being used with benzos during or after the taper. Most people agree that alcohol triggers major sx once one is benzoed out.

Good luck!

They tried to rapid detox me off 3 mgs. of long term Klonopin. I feel they nearly killed me as they actually dropped a mg per day and gave me large amounts of remeron, benadry and beta blockers.

Luckily, there was a nurse there that checked my vitals and I don't know what they were but I was reinstated immediately and released within a few days. No apology, but just the statement that it was underlying PTSD type panic.

I hope that you reconsider. I also hope that you know alcohol messes up tapering or even being used with benzos during or after the taper. Most people agree that alcohol triggers major sx once one is benzoed out.

Good luck!

Yep, these idiots almost killed me too. They did the exact same thing to me. You can not just snatch ppl off these drugs quickly.

I don't see the need for this in your situation. 1mg for 8 months shouldn't sock you in too hard. I think you can manage this with a liquid taper on your own.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Greatly appreciated!

There seems to be overwhelming consensus that inpatient detox is a very bad idea.

Given that 8 months is not considered to be long term use (Ashton refers to long term use as 1 year +) I will do it at home at the following pace: cut 0.125 every 1 week if manageable until jump. Of course I will redesign the taper if needed. I will keep the forum posted with my progress.

Chris

[11...]
Anything beyond 2 weeks is technically long term use, and can cause dependence (horrific, I know). How did you feel cutting 25%? Some people do ok, some of us really don't. Is this your first time with benzos? Really it's just important to see how you feel and listen to your body. Good luck!

There seems to be overwhelming consensus that inpatient detox is a very bad idea.

Given that 8 months is not considered to be long term use (Ashton refers to long term use as 1 year +) I will do it at home at the following pace: cut 0.125 every 1 week if manageable until jump. Of course I will redesign the taper if needed. I will keep the forum posted with my progress.

Chris

.Good decision! I would never do inpatient detox again for benzos!

Here is a very good breakdown of why inpatient detox is a horrible idea for people with Benzos:

https://www.benzoinfo.com/2018/04/20/why-prescribed-benzo-patients-shouldnt-go-to-detox-or-rehab/

Not wrong..!! Top marks, imo..

Great embeded links...

Very to the point "reader comments"  (Trigger Warning)

Thanks for posting...

Palmm,

Finding the rate that your body will "allow" these meds to be removed will, in my opinion, be the "best" thing to do... The shortish period of use should be in your favour, but dont be discouraged if it is still somewhat significant... Not to be negative or scare you, -but just to promote awareness within your planning...

For those that are unaware of any personal potential significant complications, I personally feel that the "Ashton" 10% over 2(ish) weeks is a good place to start... This can then be adjusted to suit as one gets going, as per presenting symptoms...

As you have already started, that will give you further opportunity to help determine what speeds might best suit you, and I hope it is favourable to getting you off med relatively quick and safe..

Just be aware that Symptoms can take some weeks to fully emerge following a reduction, and may compound upon each other with successive cuts if done too fast...

All in all, -Best wishes... :)

Sorry, I see there are further replies I havnt yet read...

Good luck getting admitted. I spent an entire day trying to get admitted and they would not accept me. Also, if you do impatient detox they are going to rush you off. You'll be off it in about 5 days, and supplemented with something like gabapentin(DO NOT TAKE THIS..it acts on the same piece of your brain benzos do. I took it once after the first time I tried to stop in a detox and I ended up hallucinating after I stopped taking it as directed and ended back one klonipin.) or librium. I known no idea how librium affects us but they use it for alcoholics usually. If you do plan to go to detox and somehow they accept you in despite your low low dose, you should go to rehab after. No point in detox without rehab. I say this because you will not be cured after 5 days of rapid detox. There is a healing process. I tapered myself for 8 months down to specks of dust and I'm still in a healing process. Im saying this all not to discourage you but to give you a basic idea of what you should do. Detox without rehab is useless, again, so that you are being monitored by a doctor more so than the whole NA aspect. And you are supported in that way. Please do not get upset if no-one admits you. I spent an entire day trying to get in all over the place and not single person would admit me. Either way, you have 2 months off. That is fantastic. No matter how you spend this time you will have ample time to get that dose down. I'm wishing you the best of luck, and again, I'm only trying to give you a dose of reality when it comes to detox. Wouldn't be a good thing if you went in and didn't know gabapentin would only worsen your position in healing.

I did a better, more successful taper at home. I went to detox once and that landed me back at square one and on the pill for another 2 years before I had the courage to try again. Now I am healing at 2 weeks off.

[11...]

@diana23 today is day #14 on 0.75mg down from 1.00mg. I am feeling fine besides my "regular" anxieties and depression which I manage with meditation and keeping busy. Tomorrow I will try to cut 0.125mg for a week, followed by another 0.125mg and then take it from there.

Chris

That's great. Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck

EDIT: Oh, I thought it said 0.125 every two weeks that may be too fast. I made a lot of mistakes going too fast and paid for it dearly and am now on a microtaper that is smoother. But it's really all about your symptoms. Some people do not have a horrific taper like those of us on here. It's more like estimated that 30% of people do. If your taper feels good at that pace, that's what's important. No one is in your body but you, but if you start having bad withdrawals listening in and slowing down is very important.

I was rapid detoxed in a psych ward hold and it was an absolute nightmare and had to reinstate and stabilize and that took forever and was damaging. But the first time I got off benzos 12 years ago I had few notable issues just stopping CT. It's individual. You may want to look into a daily liquid micro taper which someone on the 'titration' board can help you with, it's smoother than cuts and since you are at such a low dose, really easier, in my opinion. I do a solution made with small amount of alcohol and mostly water that 'builder' helped me with. Especially consider that many people have a harder time when they get lower and lower, though for some it's the opposite. But hopefully you have no issues at all! I was only on 1mg ativan for a few months and realized it was actually causing worse anxiety and issues...

Chris

I think you are going a bit fast. Would hate you to have to updose etc.

Can you get your head around a ten % cut only.?

Some say rapid tapering can lead to longer WD

Yours

Dick

Chris

Let me clarify. I don't think inpatient detox is uniformly a bad idea for everyone, I just question the need in your situation. I was detoxed inpatient and it was a lifesaver but I had severe depression and failed badly at multiple taper attempts for years.

• 3 weeks later...

I was admitted to the hospital a year ago. I went to the ER as I abruptly stopped and was now in a state of psychosis. I basically was not allowed to leave. My situation might be a bit nuanced as I really should not have been allowed to leave. But being there for a week was literally hell on earth. I was treated like a drug addict and was surrounded by individuals who were terrifying me.

Aside from the terror I experienced there I was ripped off of from medication and was given almost nothing to help. I genuinely believe this scarred me and honestly I am not sure I will ever be the same. I have PTSD symptoms from it and I can only say to please think twice about this.

I don’t have any experience with detox other than thinking about it. I’m miserable so I contacted a center close to home. All they wanted was my insurance information. Speaks volumes. Would rather be miserable at home. George

I won't do it for a number of reasons;

1) I'm too much of a control freak. I wouldn't be able to tolerate being in a place where I have a bunch of other people telling me what to do.

2) They'd take my e-cig away, and then tell me what to do.

3) I loathe any form of group therapy, and I'm sure they stuff you in some group where you have face-to-face whining. Then they tell you what to do some more.

4) Staff at places like that have a tendency to be condescending and patronizing. Screw a bunch of that. Sure way to piss me off.

5) That crap would be on my medical records all my life, and the money I spent on certain permits and licenses would be shot to hell. Bad enough I'm seeing a therapist for PTSD. I'm surprised they haven't been revoked. Then the government gets to tell me what to do, not that they don't anyway. I'd never be able to get another pain killer, and I have some surgeries coming up where I may need them. I'd be labeled a junkie for the rest of my days.

6) I can't stand a bunch of strangers telling me what to do. I don't like feeling like I need somebody else's approval to justify my existence.

7) The food will probably suck.

8) Did I mention that I wouldn't be able to stand a bunch of people telling me what to do?  >:D

9) I'm doing okay with BB, my husband, my friends, and myself.

10) I'm not putting my husband through that sort of inconvenience. We live an hour away from the nearest city where facilities like that can be found. Somebody has to cook for him. He burns jello, and will live on frozen burritos if I'm not there to fix something healthier. His skills in the kitchen are limited to brewing beer.

Seriously, do what you feel you need to do. *I* just wouldn't do it, cause, well...

Put like that Maya

I am glad I have good friends locally and on here seeing me though sans admission.

Sorry about your hell on earth Sinker.

Dickie

Mayavata, you are one tough lady! And you made me laugh. If someone took MY ecig away I would fight back horribly. I used them to quit smoking about 4  months ago. Yup, I am still addicted to nicotine. But NOT to inhaling a ton of noxious smelly smoke.

I worked in an acute psych unit for a few years. When I say acute, I mean it. These people were really out of control and some of them were dangerous. As Assistant Nurse Manager it was my job to keep all of them safe and occupied so they didn't hurt each other or the staff. A challenge, indeed.

I always think back to that TV show "House." Did you ever see this show? Priceless. House spent a couple weeks in an acute psych unit, and it was like watching MY own acute psych unit. House felt just as you did, and just as I did, when I was forced to go into an acute psych ward after going CT (by force). If you have never seen this show, do so soon.

I too am a control freak, hell, that is why I became a nurse! LOL!

Luckily I know how to temper that with patients, huh?

Thank you for the laugh. I needed it today.