Need help with Klonopin taper!

[No...]

I’ve been on Klonopin as needed for 14 years.

During that time I have varied between 1mg every few days to .5mg every few days. Over a period of time in the last year my anxiety had been getting worse which I attributed to work stress and probably alcohol intake. Since then I dialed back my alcohol intake and now haven’t had any alcohol since Jan of this year.

I then discovered through the help of this board that I am going through withdrawal from Klonopin as I have focused on reducing Klonopin usage and have weird symptoms. Mainly of them described here such as chills, insomnia, head pressure, DR (which is why I took K in the first place) as well as others. Initially all of these symptoms really scared me since I couldn’t make heads or tails of it all. I’ve now come to a point of complete acceptance and realized that I need to reduce K to 0.

I noticed many are on daily taper schedules, since I have never taken this daily I’m not sure how to taper off. I have made progress from an average 1mg down to .4 mg. I figured this out by calculating how many pills I had from my last rx divided by the number of days my rx started. Then worked down from there.

I have tried dosing once a day but it seems that several days in to that I start to get worse or react different to the Klonopin.

Since then I have taken .5mg every 3-4 days and seem to be doing well on that. I can continue that and just start reducing the .5 to less and less. I’m just wondering if anyone has done alternating days or every few days as a taper. I’ve read Ashton’s Manual several times and he really emphasizes each individual is different but doesn’t mention being ok with skipping days etc.

Curious on feedback. I hate this drug but understand the importance in reducing slowly.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you still tapering every couple of days? I have never taken Klonopin on regular schedule and am wondering same thing about tapering; i.e. should I take it regularly at same time before taper. 

Also, how are you cutting from .5 mg to .4mg? Thanks.