Severe tingling/Burning skin?

[Sp...]

Hey there, first post in a long while since I’ve recently been thrust back into the abyss of benzo withdrawal.

Anyway, it’s been about a month now since I was forced to cold turkey from 2.5mg of daily

Klonopin after 11 months of it, and while I have many of the trademark symptoms such as increased anxiety and foggy thinking, one symptom in particular has really stood out as my most debilitating. I have this horrifically debilitating and painful strange nerve pain-like tingling/burning sensation all over my body. It’s especially bad on my face and limbs. It is absolutely constant and unrelentless so far. I know tingling/burning skin is a well known and documented symptom of benzo withdrawal too, but I seem to have this unusually bad. Worse than most people I’ve read about.

I’m just wondering if anyone here can relate to this at all, and also if so, how long did it take for you to see improvements? I know recovery time is variable, but this sensation is just truly truly awful it makes it impossible to enjoy anything, so any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

yes i had the burning also plus i have a rash on top of that i had the burning for about 6 months and have been off about 7 months total

Im 7 months off Ativan taper and I had the tingling pins and needles sensation for about 4-5 months. It was not as severe as yours, but still very present. It slowly became less noticeable and has pretty much faded away at this point. I would imagine the CT could make this symptom more intense, but I would think it will eventually begin to subside as your CNS calms down. I hope you find relief soon.

Fp

My worst symptom. Burns in shoulders, neck, upper chest. Face lips. Eyes. Can last for a few minutes or hours. Also rashes on varies parts of the upper body that take 6 to & weeks to go away. Hives on neck. Skin dry and thirsty even when drinking a gallon of water each day

[27...]

Burning nerve pain, which began a month or two after I cold-turkeyed from Ativan, is my worst remaining symptom, and the reason why I haven't written Success Story – yet!

For most folks the burning nerve pain goes away much sooner, but for others it may take longer.

One of our buddies here told me that his didn’t stop until he was off three years, so I still have hope. Some days it’s almost tolerable, and sinks down to below my ankles, so I know that it’s capable of improving. Most days it’s like wearing tight, electrified knee socks, and the burning is intolerable. I dip my feet into a bucket of cold water many times a day, just to get something close to relief.

I’m sure you won’t suffer from this for as long as I have, because I was extremely polydrugged and then went off cold turkey. From everything I have seen here on this forum, I believe the burning pain stops eventually, sooner or later. :thumbsup:

I had problems b4 benzos with this type of pain Disc degenerative disease. And neuropathy. I worry my burning will take a long time to go away

Yes. Had this symptom too. It about drove me crazy. I had this weird feeling of insects crawling on my skin- I think it is called formication...? It felt truly awful. My skin burned and also itched, including my gums and mouth. Who wouldn't think they have gone insane feeling this stuff.

for me this dent way maybe by month 3. But it was replaced by many other NEW miserable symptoms. For me, it was one after the other, weird and scary symptoms cropped up and I just had to deal with it all.

It took me a long time to heal  but it was so worth the effort. Off benzos and ADS I am so much healthier and happier. I think of this as a miracle.

east

I'll join the club. I had burning, tingling, formicating -- you name it. Mostly on my legs, and mostly at night. Alas, I still have some of that. Usually it's not so bad, but some nights it's horrid. On the whole, though, it has gotten better since the end of my taper. It's just taking its own sweet time to go completely away.

One thing: I have no doubt that Neurontin would be helpful -- it was during my taper. But for rotten s/x reasons, I tapered off the Neurontin. Sigh.

So, the creepiness & burning are better. Looking forward to the day when it's all gone.  :-\

Katz

I Still have  face, stomach and other places burning. I would say it is 50 percent better after 7 months but still maddening because there is not much one can do about it....I would say my burning was severe.

• 1 month later...
I also suffer from this . Worst area for me is top of scalp and cheeks . It has been on going since I started taper plan . Now been off for 9 weeks . What I found help me was after sun with aloe vera in it as helps keep area cool and gives you a chance to not think about symptoms which as we all know over thinking can make it worse . Try it . See how you get on

Luckily, this sort of symptom seems to fade away faster than others. Or so it seems to me. I know it feels awful. And scary! But it is just a symptom of your withdrawing from benzos and it will go away.

As all of this stuff does. It fades away in time, thank heavens.

I'm about a month and half from rapid detox of Ativan

Had been on it for 6 months...but doc had prescribed it 5 times a day if you can believe that!

But yes I have the burning, numbness, tingling in my whole body

As if my entire skin is partly "asleep"

It is debilitating, along with extreme muscle weakness that caused me to be bedridden the first couple of weeks and just now able to hold myself up and walk down the hall. Can barely type this, because the pain and numbness to anything I touch is so bad.

Couldn't even walk or pick up my limbs a week or so ago.

So yes, it can be this bad and can be throughout your whole body.

I am like you in that it's early in W/D and cannot even enjoy anything and there is absolutely nqo moment of Peace or rest. I am just hoping that it gets better because so many others here have gotten better.

Maybe we will make improvements at the same time since we jumped close to same time

Hi Belle,

Yes, I can believe that. I don't know why doctors keep prescribing benzos in not suggested ways, even by the drug companies suggestions.

I can tell you that this will get better, because it will. I have been on BB for almost 7 years now and have chatted with thousands of members. Because I went CT off benzos and ADs, I tend to hang out on the Cold Turkey threads. It took me three years to feel better. But I am SO glad I did not give up and reinstate. I am now 69 years old. I started taking benzos at age 32. Thirty years of nightly benzos is a helluva lot of benzos. I may be old now but do not look it or act it. My health is so much better now. I am able to work and earn money again.

People can and do heal from this, no matter what you read here on BB or elsewhere. I am living proof of that.

Please do not give up, no matter how bad you feel. If you reinstate, you will only cause more problems down the road and maybe even bigger problems.

Hang tight and never give up.

east

Thanks East for the encouragement!

I am definitely not reinstating, even though my entire life has been taken from me.

Glad to know it can get better

• 3 years later...
I get tingling in my legs as well about 50% done with my klonopin taper after being on for 8 years. Just more signs of what the body is going through and the healing that has to take place. One day at a time!

I get tingling in my legs as well about 50% done with my klonopin taper after being on for 8 years. Just more signs of what the body is going through and the healing that has to take place. One day at a time!

Hello Jtesmer91, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

We’re glad you found us, it sounds like you’re working your way through this.  What is your taper like, we typically suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms dictate.  How are you feeling besides the tingling?

I’ll provide some links so you can get to know the forum a bit better but let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list