Eyes feel gritty and eyelids are swollen...skin that surrounds it is very scaly

[pu...]

Hi....my eyes are so gritty feeling. My eyelids are puffy and swollen...mainly my left eye. The skin around it and on top of eyelid is itchy and scaly....they burn and are blurry, fuzzy and bloodshot....I am 9 months off of Xanax....they have been blurry and fuzzy for the most part of withdrawal and also bloodshot...but this past month this dryness and the puffiness and itchy stuff has been going on is this normal? What can I do to relieve the pain. My eyes mainly left one feels so gritty and half open.

I saw your reply on my post.  Not sure about that.  Stoneyco had lots of eyes issues as a result of wd and she was on Xanax too so maybe she has some ideas.  Her blog is under buddie space.  Hope you feel better soon!

Hi putter,

You are probably experiencing some edema, especially when lying down.  Cold compresses may help a bit.  I was too afraid to try any type of med so I just let my eyes heal naturally.  They still get bloodshot, and my vision becomes blurry during a wave.  I had alot of skin peeling...still do....and I used cream on my face.  Sorry, there isn't much more to tell you except that all these symptoms should eventually go away.

Patty  xo

Hello Putter,

I see you are having a time of it with your eyes being dry, the eyelid being itchy, and swollen.

I have the dry eye symptom and my eye doctor first recommend eye drops. When that was not enough to help the dry eye. He recommended an over the counter ointment. He gave ma a sample to try first.

That has been helpful. I use it every night before bed and sometime again in the middle of the night.

I am so sad to hear you are struggling so much with this.

I hope other members with these issues will be able to lend some support and suggestions.

I wish you well,

Summer

Hi Summer...thanks so very much for getting back with me...do you know the name of the over the counter eye ointment? It is mainly my left eye...so painful...feels like part of it is swollen shut...very dry and itchy....Thanks again...so nice to that there are so many caring people on this site...and I just met another one YOU!!!!!!!!!

Hi Melissa and Stoneycold....thanks for getting back with me. The weird thing is that I have been off Xanax for 9 months and this just started happening well towards the end of my eight month...I have had the blurry, fuzzy, bloodshot soar eyes all along but then wham this swollen, puffy, itchy stuff started happening just out of the blues. I just need to find some cream that hopefully works. I hope this is withdrawal and not an infection. Thanks again. Stoneycold you have been through sooo much my heart goes out to you...we all look up to you.....someday we will all heal...but in the mean while what a journey huh?????

Putter,

I'm not telling you to assume the worst, but please do not assume this is benzo-related.  If it were just vision issues or dryness, that's one thing.  When you start mentioning puffy, swollen and itchy along with pain, that's where I become concerned.  You may have a minor infection related to the original symptoms (and rubbing your eyes).  This is your vision.  Don't play games with it.  

I'd say make an appointment with an eye doc. In the meantime, get some eye wash solution (you can either pour it directly in or use a cup that comes with it) to keep it clean and sterile. If you suspect pink eye, you can buy drops for that (and I've seen homeopathic, affordable versions in drops and cream).  Do you have scaly or itchy skin on other parts of your body?   You may be dehydrated.  Make sure you're drinking LOTs of water.  

Going to the eye doc isn't an option for some folks, so if nothing else, I would post your issue in the eye health section of Yahoo Answers (professionals, for some reason, hang out there and are happy to give general advice - I had an optometrist there happily explain stuff to me when my eye doc was talking in circles).  

Thanks Kendra...I really appreciate your concern...they itch  mainly the left one and puffy. The eyelid is very itchy and dry ......flaky. Just feel gritty. I know that I have been rubbing and scratching a lot...do you think I irritated it by doing this. Feels so gritty. I don't think it is pink eye. If I don't see improvement I am going to go to the Doctors...thanks so much.

You're welcome.  Emailed ya too.  

I'm having eye issues, also - mainly dryness and blurriness in my right eye.  Allergies make it much worse.  The optometrist saw nothing wrong.   A friend mentioned I should've seen an opthomologist and not an optometrist (doh!).  Now I have another appointment in two weeks with the opthamologist.  Eye doctors are backlogged out the wazoo.   Make the appointment NOW (more than likely they'll say they can see you in 2-3 weeks).   You can always cancel if it clears up closer to the appointment.

Your profile doesn't list a gender, but if you're female, trash any existing eye make up and anything else that comes in contact with your eyes.  I was having some crusty stuff a few months back but it went away after using the eye wash and switching mascaras and base.  I also only wash my face with (no tears) baby wash.  I still have the dryness (I'm using OTC moisture drops an allergist recommended since the script stuff is like $35 for a small bottle). 

Get better soon!

Thanks...I am a female....I wonder if it could be something with my make-up also. You are very helpful. I can tell you have a lot of compassion. God Bless!!! I will keep you informed. Hope things keep getting better for you everyday.

Hi Putter - the eye thing can be pretty annoying, huh?  I had this last year and finally saw a doc and the scaly, dry itch on the lid was eczema.  He gave me a scrip for a mild wash for the eye area that I used twice a day.  Can't remember the name of it (sorry).  But, I agree with Kendra that you should have it looked at - if not by an eye doctor then a regular doc or even a dermatologist. It was the dermatologist that figured mine out. Hope it settles down for you soon! :)

I had blurry vision and floaters with my eyes, but they suddenly became worse and extremely dry and gritty as you describe.  it turned out my thyroid was out - have your tsh checked (bloods test) to rule this out as dry mucus membranes are part of this - I also had a dry mouth sometimes and dry nose, but eyes were the worst.  I use refresh eye drops to help dryness and it does help.

Love Spring

Thanks Missy and Spring....so kind of you to get back with me. If things are not better in a couple days am going to go to the Doctors. I do have thyroid problems and am on medicine once a day. The funny thing is that I am going this week to have it tested...maybe it is off and that is why...thanks for all this good information you two and even about the eczema hopefully we will get it figures out. Hope things get better for you both also.

i've had a problem with scaly skin on the bridge of my nose and puffy things near my eyes.

i use Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (EVCO) to moisturize my face and eyes.  this oil has antibacterial properties. you can read about the benefits of using it by doing a web search or going to earthclinic.com

i have also put a dab of it into the corner of each eye and let it work it's way into my eyes. 

i'm pleased with the results.

between the EVCO, apple cider vinegar (ACV) and magnesium, i feel like i'm able to care for many problems that i would have otherwise run to a doctor for ( and i'm in no hurry to do that!)

well, i know that what works for me won't work for everyone; just wanted to share my experience.

hope your eyes feel better soon.

love, truck

Thanks thatismyruck....I am going to go to the store and get some of the stuff you suggested......hopefully it is something to do withdrawal and not a new issue to deal with...I appreciate your help...hope things start getting better with you...take care!!!!!!

Thanks thatismyruck....I am going to go to the store and get some of the stuff you suggested......hopefully it is something to do withdrawal and not a new issue to deal with...I appreciate your help...hope things start getting better with you...take care!!!!!!

hi putter, you're welcome... i forgot to mention that EVCO is expensive and that the best source i found is vitacost.com  the price is a fraction of retail and the shipping is fixed fee. you can also get the Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar there for a fraction of the cost ( i use it for itchy skin and to clear up any break outs and rashes and itchynes i get..i dilute it and rub it onto my skin. You can read about it at earthclinic.com

I also buy Natural Calm Magnesium Citrate Powder which works great and since it's a powder i can vary the dose.  the vitacost price is good and i also found that amazon.com has a great price; these prices are 50% off healthfood stores...so i pay about 17 bucks for what would otherwise cost 36 bucks and it is a big container that lasts forever.

good luck with you skin care and if i can help more please let me know and i will come back an post.

take care.

love, truck