Does anyone have this type of Anxiety?

[7f...]

[7f...]

I have had Anxiety, afraid of having a Heart Attack or Seizure.

I'm Tapering very slowly, so I don't know why I have these fears.

Sometimes the fear of a Heart Attack or Seizure consumes me, and I lay very still, shaking.

I've never had a Heart Attack but a Seizure once, but that was from a cold turkey.

I'm just curious if anyone else feel fears of these specific problems.

Do any of you Buddies have this?

Thanks,

Keryn.

I am constantly worried about a physical problem with this.  I think mine is wd.  It's just hard to believe that this little pill can be the source of all of my problems but it is.    I focus on my hormones being an issue b/c that is what started my anxiety so it's my point of worry and fixation.  Hopefully it will go away when I am benzo free.

:)

Hi Keyrn, yes I experience this anxiety all the time. I am now Xanax free  it has been 9 months....but still have the shakes and anxiety and panic. They say this will heal that once are central nervous system comes out of shock things will get better. Hang on this is associated with withdrawal big time. I know it is frightening but this too shall pass. Thinking of you.

[7f...]

Thanks Mel and Putter.

Yes my CNS is in shock, that's what it feels like, I'll be glad when I finish this taper and out of this nightmare.

Thanks,

Keryn.

I have this even when I'm NOT in withdrawal. At one point (when I was on Xanax), my panic attacks were so bad I would LITERALLY check my pulse every 5 minutes... and then when the anxiety would creep up, it would be every 30 seconds... and then when I deemed it to be high enough, I had a full blown panic attack and had to put a Xanax under my tongue to relieve it.

I rarely check my pulse now... It was a very hard habit to break though. Its rare that I have a severe attack like that on Klonopin - I really think that it was all because of Xanax withdrawal. When I crashed from Xanax, I crashed hard and I crashed FAST. If I missed my dose by 30 minutes, it was sheer hell.

I've never been afraid of a seizure - but definitely a heart attack and a stroke. I feel for you. I can tell you that when this would happen, putting my head between my legs while sitting in a chair would calm me quite a bit - as long as I didn't keep checking my pulse and I could keep my legs from shaking like crazy. If you put your head between your legs as far down as you can so all the blood rushes to your head and just breathe like that for a few minutes, it really helps with that feeling.

Yes, I sure do - and I have a heart problem to begin with - in 1993 I was diagnosed with vTAC after passing out.  I had to have a defibrillator

implanted and that is what caused all my anxiety to begin with.  And so I was always feeling my pulse and still do, but I take 80 mg of

Inderal and that keeps my heart pretty steady.  But it is frightening and I wonder what damage I'm doing to my heart, if any, by having all

this horrible anxiety.  I shake and my body jerks around - fast breathing - although I am now an expert at deep breathing.,  Just keep feeling

your pulse if that is what it takes to reassure you......and from everything I've read this w/d causes your mind to go to the scariest places

you know.  What a monster!  Try to tell yourself positive thoughts.  I went to a hypnotist and he helped me imagine flicking my negative thoughts off of my shoulder.  As soon as a negative thought enters your mind, flick it off and think something positivve.  It worked for me

for quite a while.........but sometimes I just go to the dark thoughts and can't control it.  So don't be too hard on yourself and recognize that it is just a thought and thoughts aren't REAL! 

[7f...]

I have this even when I'm NOT in withdrawal. At one point (when I was on Xanax), my panic attacks were so bad I would LITERALLY check my pulse every 5 minutes... and then when the anxiety would creep up, it would be every 30 seconds... and then when I deemed it to be high enough, I had a full blown panic attack and had to put a Xanax under my tongue to relieve it.

I rarely check my pulse now... It was a very hard habit to break though. Its rare that I have a severe attack like that on Klonopin - I really think that it was all because of Xanax withdrawal. When I crashed from Xanax, I crashed hard and I crashed FAST. If I missed my dose by 30 minutes, it was sheer hell.

I've never been afraid of a seizure - but definitely a heart attack and a stroke. I feel for you. I can tell you that when this would happen, putting my head between my legs while sitting in a chair would calm me quite a bit - as long as I didn't keep checking my pulse and I could keep my legs from shaking like crazy. If you put your head between your legs as far down as you can so all the blood rushes to your head and just breathe like that for a few minutes, it really helps with that feeling.

Ether, Thanks

I have heard of this method before from a friend. The Heart Attach Phobia is one of the reasons I was landed on Benzos to begin with. My pulse now at 34mg of Valium (Still a lot.) This ranges from 90-140- Heart Rate, sometimes while laying down even 'Resting Heart Rate'. After my first panic attack back in 2002, that's when my Heart Attack Phobia began, had numerous EKG's, all normal. Just a fear I will have to get over.

Thanks,

Keryn

[7f...]

Yes, I sure do - and I have a heart problem to begin with - in 1993 I was diagnosed with vTAC after passing out.  I had to have a defibrillator

implanted and that is what caused all my anxiety to begin with.  And so I was always feeling my pulse and still do, but I take 80 mg of

Inderal and that keeps my heart pretty steady.  But it is frightening and I wonder what damage I'm doing to my heart, if any, by having all

this horrible anxiety.  I shake and my body jerks around - fast breathing - although I am now an expert at deep breathing.,  Just keep feeling

your pulse if that is what it takes to reassure you......and from everything I've read this w/d causes your mind to go to the scariest places

you know.  What a monster!  Try to tell yourself positive thoughts.  I went to a hypnotist and he helped me imagine flicking my negative thoughts off of my shoulder.  As soon as a negative thought enters your mind, flick it off and think something positivve.  It worked for me

for quite a while.........but sometimes I just go to the dark thoughts and can't control it.  So don't be too hard on yourself and recognize that it is just a thought and thoughts aren't REAL! 

Hop,

Sorry to hear all this, what you have been through.

This is good info.

Thanks,

Keryn

Ether, Thanks

I have heard of this method before from a friend. The Heart Attach Phobia is one of the reasons I was landed on Benzos to begin with. My pulse now at 34mg of Valium (Still a lot.) This ranges from 90-140- Heart Rate, sometimes while laying down even 'Resting Heart Rate'. After my first panic attack back in 2002, that's when my Heart Attack Phobia began, had numerous EKG's, all normal. Just a fear I will have to get over.

Thanks,

Keryn

Keryn,

Try the head between the legs and visualize a green energy flowing through your body when this happens and then slowly alternate it to blue. Green is the color of heart energy and when you have too much of a flux in heart energy, it fills the entire body and causes problems. Blue is the calming energy that comes (ironically) from your thyroid area on the body... Once you have done this a few times, you will calm your heart down... the mind is a completely different bag of potato chips but it usually goes away when the body calms down.

Hi Keryn,

I used to get panic attacks because I was afraid I would have an aneurysm. My grandmother and grandfather both had them and I was terrified that I had one too. Every time I got a sudden pain in my head I would panic and I would also check my pulse to make sure I was still alive  :laugh: Of course at the time it wasn't funny.

Have you ever heard of Claire Weekes? Her books should be available at your local library...her views on this subject have really changed the way I think about stuff like that, and it can break this stronghold if you apply her principles to your way of thinking.

cupcake

[7f...]

Hi Keryn,

I used to get panic attacks because I was afraid I would have an aneurysm. My grandmother and grandfather both had them and I was terrified that I had one too. Every time I got a sudden pain in my head I would panic and I would also check my pulse to make sure I was still alive  :laugh: Of course at the time it wasn't funny.

Have you ever heard of Claire Weekes? Her books should be available at your local library...her views on this subject have really changed the way I think about stuff like that, and it can break this stronghold if you apply her principles to your way of thinking.

cupcake

Hi Cupcake.

I haven't heard of Claire Weekes, I will have to check her books out.

My biggest fear if a Heart Attack or Seizure. Honestly, sometimes going insane  :D But I know it's withdrawal.

I just can't grasp that.

Guess I better buckle up more, and I will check her books out.

Keryn.

• 3 weeks later...
Would all of this still be happening if someone were off benzos for 16 months?  I am having a lot of anxiety this summer and I have been off Ativan since April 2009. Honestly it was so bad today that I felt like I was spaced out or something.  On top of that I am entering menopause.

• 3 weeks later...

Ether, Thanks

Thanks,

Keryn

Keryn,

I think I might have Heart Attack phobia as you have described. I can be anywhere, doing anything, and then all of a sudden, my chest starts to tighten up and hurt.

I start rubbing my hand down the middle of my chest and the left side always feels like its swollen or larger than my right side. I then proceed to take deep breaths and check my pulse. Its kinda of turn into an OCD ritual I perform during the panic attack.

I tell people around me and they say your fine, remember the last time you went to the ER and the EKG was normal.

But I plead and say no it feels different this time, I think this time its for real.

This has got to be the worst feelings ever. A paramedic once told me your ankles get swollen during a heart attack. I also check my ankles and have at times seen and felt like they were filled with water or something. Then I take my shirt off and walk into a bathroom to check the size of my chest.

My back begins to tighten up and swell and sometimes my left rib cage hurts. From time to time I get severe jolts of pain around the chest area or I feel like an elephant is stepping on my chest.

If I do go to the ER or call 911, right when I get there or see someone, the symptoms begin to wither away. I feel like everyone thinks im crying wolf I'm so frustrated that I cant kick this feeling.

It's been going on for about a year now and has only gotten worse each time.

Anyone symptoms similar to mine? Would love to hear some input.

Thanks.

Ether, Thanks

Thanks,

Keryn

Keryn,

I think I might have Heart Attack phobia as you have described. I can be anywhere, doing anything, and then all of a sudden, my chest starts to tighten up and hurt.

I start rubbing my hand down the middle of my chest and the left side always feels like its swollen or larger than my right side. I then proceed to take deep breaths and check my pulse. Its kinda of turn into an OCD ritual I perform during the panic attack.

I tell people around me and they say your fine, remember the last time you went to the ER and the EKG was normal.

But I plead and say no it feels different this time, I think this time its for real.

This has got to be the worst feelings ever. A paramedic once told me your ankles get swollen during a heart attack. I also check my ankles and have at times seen and felt like they were filled with water or something. Then I take my shirt off and walk into a bathroom to check the size of my chest.

My back begins to tighten up and swell and sometimes my left rib cage hurts. From time to time I get severe jolts of pain around the chest area or I feel like an elephant is stepping on my chest.

If I do go to the ER or call 911, right when I get there or see someone, the symptoms begin to wither away. I feel like everyone thinks im crying wolf I'm so frustrated that I cant kick this feeling.

It's been going on for about a year now and has only gotten worse each time.

Anyone symptoms similar to mine? Would love to hear some input.

Thanks.

I think the EKG reassures us we are fine.. I know they do me, lol I have medical records full of them.

Keryn.

yes, this is the nature of my anxiety aswell... i recommend beta blockers for this because they stop the physical effects of anxiety by stopping the effects of adrenaline from hitting your body... without the physical effects of anxiety it kind of relieves your head from thinking these things

yes, this is the nature of my anxiety aswell... i recommend beta blockers for this because they stop the physical effects of anxiety by stopping the effects of adrenaline from hitting your body... without the physical effects of anxiety it kind of relieves your head from thinking these things

No thanks. my BP is low enough!

Hi mikeyred,

Just a heads up about forum policy, try to avoid being prescriptive by suggesting drugs to others.  :)

Pam