Symptoms 14 Months Out after Quitting Klonopin Cold-Turkey?

[Ho...]

Hello,

I quit taking Klonopin cold-turkey in March of 2018. Not my best decision by far, and despite my background in psychopharmacology, I had no clue it would be such a struggle. I took Klonopin for six years (on and off for the first, constantly the five after that). It destroyed my personality - I no longer knew who I was. One day I couldn’t stand it anymore and just stopped taking it.

Although several of my symptoms have improved drastically since November (particularly the psychological withdrawal symptoms, such as anxiety and fear), I am still plagued by vision and hearing problems. I have horrible visual snow (I see little light spots everywhere - almost as if I’m looking through a pixelated screen where the pixels are randomly taking turns flashing bright light, and quickly), a lot of eye floaters (the majority of which are in my left eye), “foggy” vision in low light, I am nearly night blind, blurry vision that comes quickly without warning and leaves just as quickly as it came on, rumbling tinnitus, and the higher pitched tinnitus. I have a constant tremor in my hands and sometimes it affects my arms as well. I still have some unwelcome intrusive thoughts (often related to my PTSD) and my short-term memory seems occasionally nonexistent. I am still affected by derealization, and I hope that one day all of this will be behind me.

However, for the past week and a half, my protracted withdrawal symptoms have been worse than they have been in a long time. The visual snow is brighter and my tinnitus is louder. I have not touched Klonopin in over 14 months. However, I am more stressed than usual - I am struggling to find a job. For financial reasons, I have to, and soon.

Does stress tend to amplify withdrawal symptoms? Has anyone else gotten worse this far out, and then gotten better? Does quitting cold-turkey tend to relate to a longer recovery?

Thanks in advance!

P. S. I have had extensive medical testing (unfortunately) thanks to my withdrawals, including a brain MRI and multiple visits to an eye doctor and ENT doctor. My symptoms must be due to withdrawals.

Sorry you are struggling.  Yes, stress contributes immensely to setbacks.  What you are describing is normal in recovery.  Time to find a way to secure some finances WITHOUT losing your health (much easier said than done of course).  Very sorry. 

[0f...]
I'm 16 months out and i feel the stress of this journey is killing me, i've had severe mental sxs for the last 4 months that seem to be getting worse with each wave, waves now lasting weeks, severe dp/dr, depression and SI, delusional thoughts, crying non stop, oh the list is endless. I don't have much "external "stress and when i'm not in a wave i'm 90% functional and feel normal but the window only lasts around 10 days max. I had an AB setback 7 months ago but i think the non linear process of all this causes me to be seriously disheartened, however we can't go through life without stressors and i believe that we heal eventually no matter what, although sometimes i think i am now permanently disabled. I had a stroke as a result of a too rapid taper and although i am now recovered from it i do wonder if it will prevent me fully healing (whatever full healing is). We experience so much loss from this wd experience, i think that once i am finally over it i will have to go on to process a severe grief at how my life changed as a result of an inapropriately prescribed drug.

Everything you are experiencing is very normal I know it feels so awful and is scary. You wonder if you have gone insane or have been permanently damaged

I have been an RN for about 37 years. I started taking benzos on my very first nursing job in a hospital. Back then benzos were not accounted for so many staff helped themselves. I went overboard on this and I am deeply ashamed of this now. I ended up taking tons of benzos every single night (for chronic insomnia. I had that because of a childhood trauma.

BB has many medical people on board. several doctors, many nurses. You are not alone, my friend.

I had every single one of the symptoms you mention. And a whole lot more. It took me over 3 years to heal from this disaster, but I am SO glad I stuck it out and did not give up!

I am now 69. I went CT at 62. My overall health is so much better now. My old depression is gone, because it was CAUSED by benzos and ADs. I no longer feel anxious all of the time. I still have all my old issues and problem, but overall I feel just fine now. Ive done the best thing possible for myself,getting off benzos.

I would love to chat with you privately. Feel free to PM me. I only come here once a day now, but I always answer  PMs.

east (thumbs up to you!)

"I had every single one of the symptoms you mention. "

Really? Did you truly have 24/7 visual snow and Tinnitus? These are unlike other withdrawal symptoms, and they can last much longer or be permanent.

I am also struggling extremely hard with Visual Snow and Tinnitus, I can barely read on the computer anymore, if really you had VS that bad and recovered 100%, please give us the details on that.

Congratulations on quitting these awful drugs! Yes, unfortunately stress can amplify or bring your symptoms back to the top. But you will get past this & continue to heal- Hang in there!

Really? Did you truly have 24/7 visual snow and Tinnitus? These are unlike other withdrawal symptoms, and they can last much longer or be permanent.

I am also struggling extremely hard with Visual Snow and Tinnitus, I can barely read on the computer anymore, if really you had VS that bad and recovered 100%, please give us the details on that.

Yes really, what do you think she’s lying to you? Those symptoms are not “unlike” other WD symptoms, and they are not permanent.

Yes really, what do you think she’s lying to you? Those symptoms are not “unlike” other WD symptoms, and they are not permanent.

Not sure why you are answering on her behalf. Either way, yes, these symptoms are very much different from most, and no, no everyone recovers from them. Visit the protacted forum or the tinnitus support group if you don't believe me.. Many people recover from everything except those two specifically.

The reason I asked her is because some people define these differently, Visual Snow is specifically 24/7 static in vision, not just general vision issues (these go away much easier, VS is longer-lasting). Loud 24/7 Tinnitus is not the same as occasional Tinnitus that happens for a few seconds/hours then goes away, the former is much harder to get rid off.

It's important to distinguish between a mild vs severe case, if she did recover from a severe case then that'd be much more encouraging to OP (and me) than if it was occasional T with some blurry vision.

Not sure why you are answering on her behalf. Either way, yes, these symptoms are very much different from most, and no, no everyone recovers from them. Visit the protacted forum or the tinnitus support group if you don't believe me.. Many people recover from everything except those two specifically.

The reason I asked her is because some people define these differently, Visual Snow is specifically 24/7 static in vision, not just general vision issues (these go away much easier, VS is longer-lasting). Loud 24/7 Tinnitus is not the same as occasional Tinnitus that happens for a few seconds/hours then goes away, the former is much harder to get rid off.

It's important to distinguish between a mild vs severe case, if she did recover from a severe case then that'd be much more encouraging to OP (and me) than if it was occasional T with some blurry vision.

To be honest I’m not sure why I jumped down your throat like that. It felt like you where insinuating that she wasn’t being truthful. I apologize. And I don’t need to look at the protracted board since I am “protracted” myself. I have both the vision issues and tinnitus that you speak off. My vision issues have gotten much better and I’ve spoken with several individuals who’s tinnitus has gotten much better if not completely left. Many as in 12+. I’m nearly 24 months off myself.

To be honest I’m not sure why I jumped down your throat like that. It felt like you where insinuating that she wasn’t being truthful. I apologize. And I don’t need to look at the protracted board since I am “protracted” myself. I have both the vision issues and tinnitus that you speak off. My vision issues have gotten much better and I’ve spoken with several individuals who’s tinnitus has gotten much better if not completely left. Many as in 12+. I’m nearly 24 months off myself.

That's no problem man, on a board where everyone feels like crap things are bound emotional.

It's great news that you guys do get better after a long time, very few people are still on this forum after 3+ years, so it is hard to know what happens after that, whether they still improve or not. I'm pessimistic about these symptoms but definitely some people do seem to get better over long periods of time, I'll try to be even more patient....I'm so tired of feeling that bad though :(

Yea, my emotions are all over the place and don’t make sense, so I usually can take a step back and realize I’m off the mark a bit. Sorry about that.

BTW, I’m not a “supplements guy” but these drops seemed to help my floaters lessen/lighten by approx 80%?

Liquid MSM Eye Drops | 2-Pack of 2 oz. Squeeze-Top Bottles (4 oz. Total) | 100% Sterile | Safe, All-Natural, and Non-GMO | Contains Organic MSM | Supports Natural Eye Care https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B7QXTHB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0C31Cb2Z00VK3

Stress exacerbates symptoms. Usually, your sensitivity to stress can be so heightened that the slightest stimulus - sudden, loud noises, emotional pressure, conflict, can really bring it on and my not be easy to reduce the level back down again. In my case stress definitely puts my whole nervous system in a tailspin to an extreme - emotionally and physically. Stress needs to be avoided if at all costs. But this is usually the case and may not be so much in every case.

[87...]

As for your vision issues, have you seen an eye doctor?

As for your vision issues, have you seen an eye doctor?

Yes, Visual Snow is neurological, there is nothing wrong with the eyes as it is a brain issue.

Getting off benzos may be the hardest thing you have ever done. It was for me. BWD causes so many symptoms, Ashton guessed about 150 of them. I think its more than that because your brain causes all of them. And this is why we sometimes over-react or take things a bit wrong.

The important thing is that we all will heal, as long as we stay off benzos. It is that simple. I would only take benzos again if I was given a terminal diagnosis. And until then, NO benzos for this lady.

east

When I first came here was sceptical of posts that claimed 'stress' exacerbated symptoms. 

I now know differently. 

Stress really does exacerbate symptoms.  I've seen it in myself.  So that proves it.  :laugh:

Dee