I crossed over to valium and am thinking of going back - please advise

[Po...]

Hello- I recently crossed from xanax to valium to begin my taper following the ashton method.  I can barely function. I was on 1.0 mg of xanax and ended up at 17.5 of valium.  I literally want to sleep all day and I can not take care of my day to day duties of life.  Has anyone successfully crossed back to their original drug after crossing over.  I know I can not be in this state for the next year + while I taper off this medication.

Please please advise.

Many thanks!

Hello- I recently crossed from xanax to valium to begin my taper following the ashton method.  I can barely function. I was on 1.0 mg of xanax and ended up at 17.5 of valium.  I literally want to sleep all day and I can not take care of my day to day duties of life.  Has anyone successfully crossed back to their original drug after crossing over.  I know I can not be in this state for the next year + while I taper off this medication.

Please please advise.

Many thanks!

Maggie

Maggie, I had the same problem, our numbers and benzo's were the same.  I am going to tell you what I did and then hope you get some more ideas.  I added back in .5 xanax slowly and lowered the valium to 11.75.  Then I waited to stabilize.  Once that happened, I began daily liquid micro tapering.

It's much easier tio control your taper and symptoms.  That way you don't have to do the whole crossover again.  Parted of me wishes I had tapered part of the Valium first, and left the xanax, and the reason why, is because the valium even at lower mgs, still kept me sleepy.  But I tapered the xanax and held, but I wasn't really stable .  So started down on the valium, am now down to 10.20 mgs and it still has some sedation, but my body has finally gotten more adapted to the Valium.  I know how disappointed you are, I was too, but you can get through this.  I really had no clue what I was doing  but I have made it this far.  Good luck, hope you get more ideas.  Love, Mary ❤️

Mary

Thank you for your reply.  Do you know how I would taper the valium if I kept some xanax.  Would it be at the same rate as if I was 100% valium? or would I have to go to a slower rate?

Also did you ever try to cross back over to just xanax.  I'm not even sure it would be possible due to interdose withdrawal at this point. 

I even dose my valium just once a day and it is still killing me.  I walked to the bus stop to pick up my daughter and I had to stop to sit on the curb half way there.  That is no way to live.

Mary

Thank you for your reply.  Do you know how I would taper the valium if I kept some xanax.  Would it be at the same rate as if I was 100% valium? or would I have to go to a slower rate?

Also did you ever try to cross back over to just xanax.  I'm not even sure it would be possible due to interdose withdrawal at this point. 

I even dose my valium just once a day and it is still killing me.  I walked to the bus stop to pick up my daughter and I had to stop to sit on the curb half way there.  That is no way to live.

I would do a daily liquid micro taper so you can go as slow or as fast as your body can handle, but because of the way I reacted, I tell everyone to start out slow and a low % taper.  Try not to outrun your meds and hit a wall.  That damn wall from trying to go too fast for your body to adapt is probably the biggest and most often thing most of us do.  And it really just ends up taking more time because you have to hold to stabilize.  If dlmt interests you, go to the Home Page and scroll down until you see titrating. There are experts on there that can help you figure out your dose and how to do it.  If I can help, other than figuring out your numbers  :D. Please let me know.  Mary ❤️Also, crossover to the xanax rather slowly.  Xanax never made me sleepy, I was so shocked I reacted like that to Valium and so disappointed, no one prepares you that they may happen  :(

Mary

I would do a daily liquid micro taper so you can go as slow or as fast as your body can handle, but because of the way I reacted, I tell everyone to start out slow and a low % taper.  Try not to outrun your meds and hit a wall.  That damn wall from trying to go too fast for your body to adapt is probably the biggest and most often thing most of us do.  And it really just ends up taking more time because you have to hold to stabilize.  If dlmt interests you, go to the Home Page and scroll down until you see titrating. There are experts on there that can help you figure out your dose and how to do it.  If I can help, other than figuring out your numbers  :D. Please let me know.  Mary ❤️Also, crossover to the xanax rather slowly.  Xanax never made me sleepy, I was so shocked I reacted like that to Valium and so disappointed, no one prepares you that they may happen  :(

Mary. How did you add back the .5mg of Xanax slowly?

Mary

Mary. How did you add back the .5mg of Xanax slowly?

I can't totally remember, but both my husband and I think we just did it all at once since since I had just finished the crossover and we thought the Valium being in your system and the xanax would be alright.  But remember, I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but it worked out after a time.  It's all been such a jumble of starts and stops, that's the best I can remember, but you can go a little slower, swapping a couple doses every few days and then holding a few to see how you do.  Easy going though.  You may feel some better just getting some xanax back in you :). If you do feel good, since you are adding back in , you maybe able to drop a few mgs more of the Valium.  Just pay close attention to your symptoms.

Mary. I substituted one X for a V last night and I felt a bit better today. I am confused on how to dose going forward but am seeing my doc tomorrow for some guidance. Just wanted you to know I thought that was helpful advise.

Do you mind if I ask a question. Did you dry cut your x when you tapered it? Or use a different method.

I spoke w a compounding pharmacy today and they told me They can make an oral solution for any amount I request. I thought that was interesting

Again. Thanks for chiming in.

Mary. I substituted one X for a V last night and I felt a bit better today. I am confused on how to dose going forward but am seeing my doc tomorrow for some guidance. Just wanted you to know I thought that was helpful advise.

Do you mind if I ask a question. Did you dry cut your x when you tapered it? Or use a different method.

I spoke w a compounding pharmacy today and they told me They can make an oral solution for any amount I request. I thought that was interesting

Again. Thanks for chiming in.

I used pills and liquid, a lot of people really like the pharmacy compound, but with anything else, start out slow with it just to make sure your body reacts the same. Good luck 🍀 keep me posted, Mary 💜

• 3 months later...

Mary, I need your advice.  I started my own topic somewhere and can't find it am so dizzy/confused now.

My bit of clonopin turned on me so taking more valium, since was on that too.  I got stuck half on clon and half on valium cuz did not like valium.  But clon has turned and valium not very good either.

I hope if I can find my topic you might chime in ;)

Mary, I need your advice.  I started my own topic somewhere and can't find it am so dizzy/confused now.

My bit of clonopin turned on me so taking more valium, since was on that too.  I got stuck half on clon and half on valium cuz did not like valium.  But clon has turned and valium not very good either.

I hope if I can find my topic you might chime in ;)

Hey Barbara, a lot of people adapt to Valium once the crossover is done and you have held awhile.

I just wasn't one of them.  I am not sure, if I understand you right, you don't want to switch to a third benzo?  That would be awful unstabalizing to your already very sensitive system.  I would be afraid to advise you on that.  Please tell me if I am not understanding correctly.  Mary 💜

Yes.  You know when try to find replies to omy posts doesn't always shoe em.

I was on klon... went to vaium.  After long time as o depressed someone helped me figure way back to klon.  uh, i only got halfway there.  That had me on both of thoe plus ambien.

was cutting/holding trying to get stable adn for few eeks was not bad.

Then upon taking klonopin shaking/sweating/ all not good.

Since was .08 clon figured could make it all valium...  but then valium seemed also to make me sweat/shakey/afulupon taking tho not a bad.

I think need to get off this stuff asp... do you??  If I react right off to taking them like that?

Anyhow, the equiv dose of all valium would be 3 mg, plus ambien.

i'e taken 2 3/4 for 2 days.

Not getting any sleep tho, or like an hour, and need more than that.

Dr rxed phenobarb .32 mg... ?

I am such a mess.  Thank you.  Juw5 lyint in bed.  Scary cuz no one to help or chec in on me.