How do I figure what monthly % cut I am currently at?

[jo...]

I started at 15 mg and cut .03 mg a day, I know it's slow...but.  How do I figure what monthly % cut this is?  My math brain is not working today.

Hi jojodancer,

First, find out how much you decreased in a month:  .03 mg/day x 30 days = .9mg/mo decrease.

Then, divide mg decrease by mg start and multiply by 100:  .9 mg / 15 mg = .06 x 100 = 6% per mo decrease.

Hope this helps.  You're doing great!

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

Hi jojodancer,

First, find out how much you decreased in a month:  .03 mg/day x 30 days = .9mg/mo decrease.

Then, divide mg decrease by mg start and multiply by 100:  .9 mg / 15 mg = .06 x 100 = 6% per mo decrease.

Hope this helps.  You're doing great!

xo,

Thanks sierra,

I have read where some members were decreasing by 5%-10% every two weeks.  That made me wonder if I was going way too slow or if they were going way too fast.  I know we all react differently to taper schedules, but my 6% a month compared to these others.... :-\ I think I would not be comfortable going as fast as the others.

I have been on this stuff for around 7 years, so I am a little nervous about going to fast after being dependent that long, especially starting at 15 mg of valium.  I think will finish this 1st month at the rate I am on and then make a judgement depending on the way I feel.

So, each month when my dose comes down, I should use this formula to see what % taper I am at depending on that month's dose I am taking?  What % is considered average in my situation?  If 6% is considered slow, at least I can still function at work.  I have read where one member took two years to taper 9 mg of valium.  I guess it's all an individual mindset. Thanks again for the info..I really am grateful.

JoJo

Hey JoJo,

I honestly don't think it's worthwhile to compare one's taper rate to others.  Bottom line is, if your taper is working for you, it's more likely to be successful.  This is what Ashton has seen in her patients as well - patient lead tapers increase the success rate. 

Like you said, you can always reevaluate and make your own judgement as to possible changes at any point in time.  It's not a race.  No one gets a medal.  The general idea is to match your taper rate with your body's ability to heal all the way down and then step off - benzo free!  And that's the ultimate goal!  :thumbsup:

xo,

Its not a race JO JO

If it was me, I would stick with this rate as towards the end I gather it gets a little more difficult and you are functioning well.

Congrats so far

Dick

So, each month when my dose comes down, I should use this formula to see what % taper I am at depending on that month's dose I am taking? 

Yes.  Next month, your starting amount is 14.1mg (because last month's start was 15mg, so we subtract the decrease of .9mg to arrive at 14.1mg).  Presuming you continue decreasing at the rate of .03mg/day, so .9mg/mo, your calculation will be:

.9 mg / 14.1 mg = .064 x 100 = 6.4% per mo decrease.

You get the idea.  :)

Enjoy your Saturday!

xo,

Thanks to both of you for the replies (sierra, fortylongyears).

I think if I can keep it under 10% a month, at least during the 1st few months, I should hopefully be OK.  If not, I now know how to back it off if need be.

Greatly appreciated  ;D

Welcome Jojo:

Everyone here is so helpful.  Great advice above.

I am a long time clonazepam user and had severe symptoms (tolerance withdrawal) for 7 years.  I was not smart enough to figure out what was causing my symptoms.

I tapered before finding BB's at .25 of 1 mg at a time and held for a couple of weeks between cuts.  I was just chunking it off...crazy huh but my symptoms were

not much different until I got down to .25 of 1 mg.  Then I started using a liquid titration plan dissolving my tabs in alcohol first and then adding water.  I have

been able to adjust my taper really accurately.  My symptoms have been a lot tougher toward the end of my taper and it seems this is a common threat.

If you need help  please know I am here as are so many other friends.

Good luck new friend.

Klonkar

Welcome Jojo:

Everyone here is so helpful.  Great advice above.

I am a long time clonazepam user and had severe symptoms (tolerance withdrawal) for 7 years.  I was not smart enough to figure out what was causing my symptoms.

I tapered before finding BB's at .25 of 1 mg at a time and held for a couple of weeks between cuts.  I was just chunking it off...crazy huh but my symptoms were

not much different until I got down to .25 of 1 mg.  Then I started using a liquid titration plan dissolving my tabs in alcohol first and then adding water.  I have

been able to adjust my taper really accurately.  My symptoms have been a lot tougher toward the end of my taper and it seems this is a common threat.

If you need help  please know I am here as are so many other friends.

Good luck new friend.

Klonkar

Thanks Klonker and thanks to everyone who has took the time to help me through this journey.