Anyone know how long it takes for Valium to build up in system?

[Mo...]

Hello y’all,

Just curious if anyone knows how long it takes for Valium to really build up in the body.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

MP

Im a bit confused about this..??

When I first had V in the ER it took about 10min to have a huge effect, -kinda mind blowing.. I was in full blown convulsing opiate CT from a med change with a blocker in it..

So is the build up from just increased dose through accumilated half life.. Is it needed for different metabolites..??

I guess, -Why do many seem to need this extra time once familiar with this med..??

I know a dose correction took longer once tapering, but for me only hours to a day..

Just wondering...

Yes, it has a rapid therapeutic onset, but it is slowly metabolized ("long half-life").  So even when the initial therapeutic effect has declined, most of the drug itself is still present in the body.  There is a math progression that shows the point of max accumulation, but its about 8 days.

And this is a major reason V is often the benzo of choice to taper.  Because of its long half-life, it is sometimes referred to as "self=tapering".

• 4 weeks later...

builder

why when i went o all valium once from ativan it messed me up...like a different drug

im now stuck on 0.25 mg of ativan and 2.5 of valium

@builder,

How long before valium is gone after you take your last dose?

About 6-8 days.  Its the same principle, and the same math progression, just reversed.

Why do ppl say 3 weeks then between cuts?

1)  Who says that??

2)  The half-life, or "decay rate" is NOT what determines how quickly you can recover from a cut.  The time it takes to "recover" from a cut is a function of how big a cut you make.  If you make tiny cuts, like we do with a DLMT, then obviously you can recover in 1 day.  If your cut rate does not exceed your body's recovery rate, you'll be OK.