Osteoporosis - low back / joint pain

[20...]

I had recent lab work done and found I was just below the Vitamin D minimum range.  I went back to an older lab from a year and a half ago, before I started Klonopin daily, and my Vit D was higher (40.0 then /29.5 current). [measured out of 100, the lab suggested 30.0 as the lowest]. In 18 months, my Vit D dropped 26%.  There has to be a connection with the Benzo.  Nothing else significant in my life changed. 

Raiz reported to me (http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=222273.0) he had Osteoporosis.  It was eye opening, as I have had 8 months of chronic low back pain.  I worked with a physical therapist after a gym injury, but the pain persists and can't figure out why.  I'm 39 years old. 

I'm wondering who else has Osteoporosis or low back or joint pain.  I found this article which made a connection between Osteoporosis, low Vit D and Clonazepam :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3427195/

"AED-induced disturbances of bone integrity are mainly influenced by the type, dosage and duration of the antiepileptic therapy. A dose-dependent increase in the risk of fractures was particularly observed during therapy with carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, clonazepam, Phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone, and valproic acid."

Maybe its mental, but I feel some relief from my symptoms just days after starting 2,000 IU of Vitamin D (among other supplements).  If you are still on a Benzo, preliminary research suggests you need to boost Calcium and Vitamin D intake. 

We have a topic called "Vitamin K2 and osteoporosis" with a lot of information about Vit D / K, Calcium and so on

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=187158.440

You need to get your bone density checked and your mineral levels out of full blood. A lack of vitamine D does not always lead to a decrease of bone density. And if you supplement VitD - only together with Vitamin K2, if not Calcium gets out of the bones. and so on... Bone  density is a complex topic but you can do a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi:

You are kind of young to have osteoporosis. Have you had a DEXA scan? It is actually the only method (I believe) to diagnose osteoporosis. I found out i had lumbar osteoporosis after I fell and started having some pain. I am 59 yrs of age. I had issues with my back before, but yoga and chiropractic would fix me up nicely. I have been exercising for years and doing some weight lifting and trying to eat right, but all of this didn't deter me from getting osteoporosis. I don't believe my benzo use (18 months) aggravated it. For me is mainly genetic. After I fell, I was in intense pain for about four months until I found a good PT that helped me with some strengthening exercises. Luckily I didn't fracture, but I had a tear, DDD from age, and a minor bulge. I had to use a block of ice every day on and off for months, and this also helped me heal tremendously. I have been pain free since then. No pain meds anymore yeah! I can continue exercising without problem. However, since my diagnosis I have joined a program in my area called Osteostrong. Google it, you may be able to get it in your area. It's been a year since I started, and I already can feel I am stronger and my bones don't make that 'crepitation' sound in my back anymore. I decided to go this route before taking biophosphates because I don't want to add anymore drugs to my already fragile CNS system. Vitamin D is essential more than calcium actually. You have to have the right ratio for magnesium and calcium as well vitamin K2. Are you lifting weights? This may help some; however, the osteostrong program has been proved the best to treat this condition. I plan to have another DEXA scan soon to see if there has been any changes in my measurements.

Hi:

You are kind of young to have osteoporosis. Have you had a DEXA scan? It is actually the only method (I believe) to diagnose osteoporosis. I found out i had lumbar osteoporosis after I fell and started having some pain. I am 59 yrs of age. I had issues with my back before, but yoga and chiropractic would fix me up nicely. I have been exercising for years and doing some weight lifting and trying to eat right, but all of this didn't deter me from getting osteoporosis. I don't believe my benzo use (18 months) aggravated it. For me is mainly genetic. After I fell, I was in intense pain for about four months until I found a good PT that helped me with some strengthening exercises. Luckily I didn't fracture, but I had a tear, DDD from age, and a minor bulge. I had to use a block of ice every day on and off for months, and this also helped me heal tremendously. I have been pain free since then. No pain meds anymore yeah! I can continue exercising without problem. However, since my diagnosis I have joined a program in my area called Osteostrong. Google it, you may be able to get it in your area. It's been a year since I started, and I already can feel I am stronger and my bones don't make that 'crepitation' sound in my back anymore. I decided to go this route before taking biophosphates because I don't want to add anymore drugs to my already fragile CNS system. Vitamin D is essential more than calcium actually. You have to have the right ratio for magnesium and calcium as well vitamin K2. Are you lifting weights? This may help some; however, the osteostrong program has been proved the best to treat this condition. I plan to have another DEXA scan soon to see if there has been any changes in my measurements.

[/

When I say I habe osteoprosis although I am 37 old this is the truth.

Of Course I had all possible Prozedures to find out, do you think I am just pretending of assimuming

That I have osteoporosis?!!!

Hell!

And yes also a dexa Scan, more than one.

I am sick of delivering Proof or hearing I am too Young to have Osteoporosis

or that it’s Not because of Meds. All meds I Took had Osteoporosis

As a side effect by the way.. and latest studies Show that Add cause Osteoporosis too.

Hi Flyer:

I am sorry I didn't mean to get you kind of upset with my response. Its just that your first post was not too clear to me whether you had a confirmation of osteoporosis. That is why I asked you about the scans, that is all. Sorry about my misinterpretation. The last thing I want to do is upset people when my sole purpose is just to try to help some.  I can understand why you get upset about if people asks you the same questions over and over.

It this is of any help, when I was in the midst of pain I joined a forum at www.inspire.com from the Osteoporosis National Foundation. I am not active in it, but the forum was very helpful. I recommend it better than BB when it comes to osteoporosis. Needless to say, most definitely I validate your statement that benzos and other meds can cause osteoporosis. I don't know what other meds you have taken; but I know I was on Omeprazole for some time, but I manage to wean me off. This type of med is known to cause osteoporosis in the long run and interfere with vit. B absorption and God know what else.

Well, not heart feeling I hope. Much healing your way

Hi Flyer:

I am sorry I didn't mean to get you kind of upset with my response. Its just that your first post was not too clear to me whether you had a confirmation of osteoporosis. That is why I asked you about the scans, that is all. Sorry about my misinterpretation. The last thing I want to do is upset people when my sole purpose is just to try to help some.  I can understand why you get upset about if people asks you the same questions over and over.

It this is of any help, when I was in the midst of pain I joined a forum at www.inspire.com from the Osteoporosis National Foundation. I am not active in it, but the forum was very helpful. I recommend it better than BB when it comes to osteoporosis. Needless to say, most definitely I validate your statement that benzos and other meds can cause osteoporosis. I don't know what other meds you have taken; but I know I was on Omeprazole for some time, but I manage to wean me off. This type of med is known to cause osteoporosis in the long run and interfere with vit. B absorption and God know what else.

Well, not heart feeling I hope. Much healing your way

hey there, it wasnt flyer, it was me, Marigold..

Sorry I reacted that way. I am carrying around some illnesses where doctors and people in general tend to say "you are too young for..." which is a great sentence if you suffer from a desease cause you cannot change that you are young or postpone till you are old enough to suffer from it.

But - I think the osteostrong program is quiet nice, especially that you see the scales on the screens while doing the exercises.. I am in Germany and never heard about that! They have a contact function on the website so I used it and I will see if I can do that somewhere in my country or a least find something similar. Seems a good thing! So thank you for that! :smitten:

Marigold