Chronic Anxiety Treatment?

[Ja...]

Anxiety has been a constant in my life for as long as I can remember. I consider it to be a major disability and not something that is my 'fault'.

I panic often, my mind repeats worrysome thoughts, and my body feels constant tension and it all just sucks. Many think they understand anxiety disorders because they have experienced occasional anxiety. Chronic anxiety is much different from occasional. The same way getting the blues is very different from major depression. My point is that many discount the severity and morbidity of mental health disorders.

The efforts that I've made to find some peace have been significant! I've seen 4 psychologist/psychiatrist, used  a dozen different meds, exercise daily, eat healthy, good sleep hygiene, read self-help books, and turned towards religion. The end result... still predictably consistant anxiety. I majored in Psychology in college thinking that would help me solve my anxiety but no luck there.

I apologize if this posts comes across negative but I'm just being honest. In the past I occasionally turned towards alcohol to help and it did but for a brief moment. That however is a 'maladaptive' way of handling anxiety so I stopped many months ago. Now that my benzo dose is so low that it's not helping anymore I'm wondering how to find relief. Life is just to short to suffer continuously from anxiety. Has anyone with a major anxiety problem learned to treat it successfully ?. I refuse to believe that there is not an effective treatment...       

JamieT

I hear you and totally sympathize with you regarding chronic anxiety. As the old saying goes been there and done that also with my anxiety disorder. Was originally prescribed klonopin for this reason and as you can see I am almost one year benzo free as of this post. But ya know that anxiety/panic beast is still with me and I think worst than pre-benzo. I too have tried CBT, PMA, affirmations, self help books (Claire Weekes books are awesome) psychiatry, natural supplementation. Would I recommend any of this to help alleviate anxiety, most definitely yes. What has helped? Still battling to this day,I know you don't want to hear this but TIME is also something that will eventually help and heal this chronic issue. I still am considering reinstating to help as others issues have come into play recently. But I also think that since we are so sensitized to so many things with ourselves and our feelings and environment we need to work on those issues slowly with any coping skills we are good at. I know this does not give you any answers but we each have to find what works for us since we are all different with healing. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them and am curious to see other posts.

Sid 

Sid,

Thanks for your thoughtful and honest response. I guess I'm searching to find some feeling of peace because it's not fun walking around being scared 98% of the time. My self esteem gets involved because I start doubting my courage and abilities. My anxiety is really hard to figure out because it's not specific fears. I don't really have a phobia. I just feel worried and scared most of the time and have no idea why. My thoughts are not causing me to be afraid but rather my anxiety impacts my thoughts. I think that's why treatments to help my body relax (message therapy) work better for me than treatments aimed at helping my brain relax (meditation).

How does your anxiety work? Is it constant or sporadic? Did medications help?   

JamieT

Well my anxiety has taken a life of its own. It wakes up with me in the morning but by bedtime it seems to has lessened or gone away completely. Funny huh can't figure it out, but I think after all the testing and research I think my anxiety goes hand in hand with my cortisol levels (adrenaline). I think the meds helped that is why I always have the reinstatement option at hand. The only problem is from experience I know the side effects I will be paying for if I go back to the meds. Kind of a two edged sword it helps but also hurts me. If the physical anxiety is a bit too much for try anything to lessen that physical anxious feeling (exercise...even walks or bike rides- tai chi- meditation) anything to burn off that excess cortisol to level you out a bit. Are you sure the anxiety issues you have are not a symptom of any physical ailment? (thyroid issues, hormone deficiency) I made sure i got checked out. I hope you can find some answers and some peace for your healing.

Sid

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what hormones did they check to see if you had a hormone deficiency?  I would like to mention it to an endo but not sure specifically what to ask for.  Thanks for your help.

Pebbles,

Imbalances in estrogen and progesterone for women can be a problem  If a man or woman makes too much testosterone that can be an issue as well.  Adrenal hormones like cortisol can also contribute.    Hormones can be tricky.  I would find a really good endocronologist or gynecologist to handle it. 

Jamie T.

My anxiety started as a result of hormone problems.  My anxiety too feels very physical.  I am not worried about anything.  It's just a physcial revving and I just feel fear.  Right now I'm attributing it to my taper.  I think that is probably most of it.  I'll deal with whatever is left when I am done.

Sid I can empathize with you keeping that reinstatement option if needed. Obviously the goal of everyone here is to be free from these drugs and I want that for myself but when things come up who am I to judge? None of us no each others circumstances. You have to make the right decision for you and I support you regardless. 

My doc really wants me to stay on the meds because I have some genetic cardiac issues that are of concern (Hypertension, Cholesterol, abnormal sinus rhythm, etc) combined with my anxiety. The doc thinks keeping my anxiety under control is essential given my family history of heart disease. My blood pressure is much lower on the K. My issue is I don't want to have to take a pill everyday or go into withdrawal. I never hit tolerance but I did have side effects from the K.

I'm 28 and I would like to have a child with my wife and be a good dad but I have to get this thing under control first. I also want to live past my early 40's unlike many other men from my family tree. I honestly have reached the point where I don't know what to do  :-\ My anxiety has become much worse on my low dose of K and that's to be expected in wd...but If my anxiety gets unmanageable I will certainly do what I have to do. My family needs me to work fulltime and I can't just take an indefinite leave of absence while I recover...