Insomnia after reducing lorazepam dose

[Ba...]

After 42 years, I've tapered slowly from 2mg lorazapam to 1mg. I've stayed at 1mg. for 6 weeks now. While I've been depressed, with no desire to do anything, I was sleeping. Now I can't sleep and don't understand why that has happened. Bedtime can turn into a panic attack.

Has anyone else had withdrawal symptoms worsen after a month at the same level of drug? And, if so, what helped?

From what I've seen here, almost everyone has had trouble sleeping. Some first took a benzo for sleeping issues. I always slept well (too much really), but tapering has brought on insomnia. It's been very bad for four months with maybe four to five regular nights of sleep. Generally, I'm lucky to get four to five hours.

But . . . last night I slept ten hours. I got up to use the bathroom three times but fell right back to sleep. That was a blessing, and I felt much better today with some solid sleep.

It's a real problem with benzo w/d. Everyone says it gets better. I think for many it is a night here and there to start with and then a regular and stable pattern is established.

I hope you'll sleep well soon. I know it's awful to lay there and then not be rested.

Thanks for responding. Yes, the primary symptom of my post-partum depression was insomnia, and it's continued to plague me. But, right now, I seem to have developed a fear of sleep, with cold sweat and racing heart. A panic reaction.

I don't know how everyone else handles not being able to fall asleep, but I get very anxious. That gives me looping thoughts which just won't stop. That sounds similar to your issues.

Reading helps pass the time, but I love books. It's really just a distraction to take my mind off not sleeping. Perhaps you have some hobby or something that you can use to distract from the anxiety of not sleeping. If it doesn't happen (sleep), it just doesn't happen (for a while).

A couple of random things seem to help me drift off for a few hours. One thing is changing where I sleep. I go to the couch or spare bedroom if I've tossed for hours. Another thing that seems to settle me down to sleep is eating an apple. Why? I have no idea. I've just found over time that such things work at least part of the time.

I really hope you get some sound sleep.

Well, I did sleep a few hours. And I learned that deep breathing really does calm panic.

When you were super sick, what all was going on?

I'm glad deep breathing helped. I'm working on that. I drift off and forget to keep pulling the air in though.

I don't really recall everything from when I was very sick. I know I was terrified (of everyone and everything) and confused. It felt like I was outside my body and watching and trying to act like a normal person. Physically, I had a two month yeast infection, muscle pain, left eye dry and hurting (which continues), neck/back pain, sense of smell/taste off. Lost 25 lbs.

At the worst, there were a few nights I did not sleep at all and many where I only slept fitfully for two or maybe three hours.

It turned out I did have diabetes and was at the "needing insulin" level. I shifted my diet drastically and did not have to go on insulin but had blood tests this week and may need meds (or perhaps insulin). I see my GP on Monday.

With that all said, I am on a slow, liquid taper now and feel much better. I have some confusion. It's not always me though. LOL. The $1.99 bag of apples were two for $5 today, and I was standing there feeling very benzo confused. I asked a store employee, and they said, "Wow. No. That is not a deal." Physically, My thigh still hurts and sometimes my neck. I am able to take two 20 minute walks per day now - up from pretty much bed-bound. My sleep is better. Last night I slept 7 hours with starting out on the couch.

Again I hope your sleep gets better, and I think it will. In the throes of insomnia it can seem hopeless, but some good days come. Now I tell myself that even if I have a bad night that I'm due for a hibernation night (or even day) soon.

I do not know one buddy here on the board (I am here for 3 years now) who has NOT suffered from insomnia in withdrawal. Its THE symptom.

And yes - we all survived. Even with a week without any sleep, even with panic attacks, paranoia, fatigue and the belief that we would all die.

We did not die. This takes time.

Speaking for myself, I had insomnia pre-benzo and I had it in withdrawal - now I am fine. I can sleep for hours without interruption and its a natural good sleep.

Chin up! :thumbsup:

Maybe this should be a new ticket:

Last night in bed, waiting for sleep, I had visions. They were pleasant, not scary.

Are visions a w/d symptom?

Maybe this should be a new ticket:

Last night in bed, waiting for sleep, I had visions. They were pleasant, not scary.

Are visions a w/d symptom?

Mild hallucinations and vivid dreams and the feeling of not knowing am I awake or not - totally common.

Bajadancer

I am tapering from 4 mg very slowly. A few months ago my psychiatrist he just told me to go to 3.5 and I could not sleep at all. Nada. So I went back to 4 and began to taper. My goal is to get to 3.5 (getting closer) ultra slowly. It is important to get good sleep hygiene and do it the same way every night. I recommend the Sleepio web based course and CBT-I. I have done both. I know one day I will be benzo free and just hope my body and brain will return to unmedicated sleep. I wish you well. Powerball

OK, Buddies, I need help. Last night I had a panic attack while my head was resting on my mate's chest, which has been my safe place up until now. In desperation I took 5mg diazepam, for the first time in my life, and it DIDN'T HELP. Now my panic has really ramped up. I was holding onto the hope that if I got desperate, I could substitute Valium.

Now I'm close to giving up & upping my lorazapam dosage. I'm 75, and have had a miserable year tapering to 1mg. I had not known that symptoms would get worse after being at that dosage for a month or even two. I had thought my body would adjust to that dosage and that I might remain there. Now I'm wondering why, at my age, I'd want to go thru another couple bad years, especially knowing that the insomnia which put me on lorazapam, will be waiting for me at the other end.

The only reason I began the taper was difficulty obtaining a year's prescription, because I live in Mexico half the year.

The drug isn't available here, US pharmacies are tightening their restrictions, and doctors are less willing to write such a huge prescription.

The only benefit of a lower dose is that my chronic constipation is gone.

Can any of you tell me why I should continue the agony?

Marigold1

I am tapering down from 4 mg Ativan and haven't begun my 1 g Xanax yet. I am on this shit as I am petrified to not sleep. When my Ambien quit working this was the only thing that did. But the Benzos changed me. It took away some of my personality and made me a little flat. My brain is good, but I feel flat which is not the worst thing on the job, but I do not feel like my vibrant old self. I have great sleep hygiene and I did sleepio (internet based BT-I ; the I is for insomnia) and I did CBT-I with a therapist for 6 weeks - it is a 6 week program.. I dread when I am on own without sleep meds but I know I (and my brain) will be better in the long run. Powerball

Marigold1

I am tapering down from 4 mg Ativan and haven't begun my 1 g Xanax yet. I am on this shit as I am petrified to not sleep. When my Ambien quit working this was the only thing that did. But the Benzos changed me. It took away some of my personality and made me a little flat. My brain is good, but I feel flat which is not the worst thing on the job, but I do not feel like my vibrant old self. I have great sleep hygiene and I did sleepio (internet based BT-I ; the I is for insomnia) and I did CBT-I with a therapist for 6 weeks - it is a 6 week program.. I dread when I am on own without sleep meds but I know I (and my brain) will be better in the long run. Powerball

I am sorry you are suffering so much. 4 mg Ativan thats a lot. I would not start a new taper til you have finished one and hold the zero for some months. You are also on other drugs - its a shame they still polydrug people. You will get your personality back after this agony. thats the reason I would do all again. I was surprised how wonderful I am in reality. And so are you.

I want to encourage you to have trust in your mind and your body - of course tapering all meds sucks - but there is so much more energy and creativity and life inside us.. I have been on so many meds, my sleep is okey, my brain is more than back and I am ME. No more depression or other psycho symptoms - not one. That makes us think, right...

• 2 weeks later...

My doc put me lorazepam. I take it nightly and it seems to work most of the time. Nothing else worked: chamomile tea, warm milk or reading to relax.

I told my doc about my fear of addiction, and he said I should not worry unless I felt the need to take more than one tablet a night. On side effects you can read here:

Edit: Removed commercial link.

My doc put me lorazepam. I take it nightly and it seems to work most of the time. Nothing else worked: chamomile tea, warm milk or reading to relax.

I told my doc about my fear of addiction, and he said I should not worry unless I felt the need to take more than one tablet a night. On side effects you can read here: Online pharmacy

I'm not sure how long you have been taking lorazepam, but it eventually stops working as you develop tolerance and at that point the only thing that would make it work is the placebo effect. Are you intending to taper off it eventually?

Lily said>It turned out I did have diabetes and was at the "needing insulin" level. I shifted my diet drastically and did not have to go on insulin but had blood tests this week and may need meds (or perhaps insulin). I see my GP on Monday.

What diet were you eating and what are you eating now Lily that halted the diabetes progression?

Hi AntiBenzo,

I have been eating mostly whole food plant based but not totally. I do eat a little meat some days. There are also some snacks like microwave popcorn or wheat thin crackers that I eat which would not fall under that diet. So, I don't really consider myself on any diet, but I eat mostly what WFPB people eat.

My A1C went from 8.7 to 5.5 in three months. The doctor was really surprised.