Post taper support & natural supplements

[20...]

What natural supplements are you taking?

I'm only 5 days post taper and struggling.  My symptoms are horrible!  My last window was 4 weeks ago. 

I found via blood work I was deficient in Vit D.  A natural Dr has me on Vit D, Multi vit, Probiotic, Fish Oil, N-Acetyl  Cysteine (NAC), and Ashwagunda.

At times I seem to be sensitive to natural supplements.  Also have experienced sxs after high doses of Ashwagunda (anxiety) or Mulivitamin.  Anyone else sensitive to multi vitamin?

I reported in this post a very adverse reaction to B3/Niacinamide (Non flushing)...actually caused skin burning and flushing.  It was a high dose. 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=216860.msg2788847#msg2788847

Anyone getting help from B12? 

Same with me. Benzos deplete a lot of vitamins and minerals from the body. Make sure you are taking  good vitamins. You may reduce your dose in the start but continue taking them.

I got to know after 2.5 months I was very defficent in vitamin D and got Osteoperosis at 33. No one believes but benzos are to blame.  My doctor was stunned when he saw my blood work.

Prior to benzos I'd no issue taking Vitamins now a small dose spikes my heart rate. I never had heart problems before benzos. Benzos mess up the whloe nervous system.

Take good care of yourself.  :smitten:

Wow, Raiz!  Sorry, bro!

Osteoporosis...benzos?!  I had a back injury at the gym in the fall of 2018, but it hasn't healed.  The Physical therapist doesn't know why.    I have low back pain in my joints in my low lumbar/SI joint every day.

How do you diagnose osteoporosis? 

Same with me. Benzos deplete a lot of vitamins and minerals from the body. Make sure you are taking  good vitamins. You may reduce your dose in the start but continue taking them.

I got to know after 2.5 months I was very defficent in vitamin D and got Osteoperosis at 33. No one believes but benzos are to blame.  My doctor was stunned when he saw my blood work.

Prior to benzos I'd no issue taking Vitamins now a small dose spikes my heart rate. I never had heart problems before benzos. Benzos mess up the whloe nervous system.

Take good care of yourself.  :smitten:

The excruciating low back pain and the severe tightening of the SI joint is a well known withdrawal symptom from Clonazepam.  I look back at old videos I made during Acute and wonder how I got through it..  and I did because I believed BB when they said it would go away.  It did. Came back with a vengeance a couple of times but at 11 months off, I am praying it is gone for good.  Avoiding stress like the plague.

2019Flyer- Sorry you had that experience, don't abandon ship. Because vitamins and minerals act as cofactors, any deficits you had prior to withdrawal seem to come forward. Supplements like Ashwaganda act on existing pathways. All drugs either enhance or stop natural processes.  The longer you're on any med, the more it alters the normal feedback by destroying receptors, turning off natural chemicals production, etc.  This is why recovery goes in fits and starts. It takes time for the body to recalibrate, start production of enzymes , etc., and re-grow nerve endings.

What does your natural doctor advise? Everything he/he recommended is very reasonable when you research what it does for withdrawal.

In general, B3 should have a calming, and sedative effect. You may have gotten some flushing since you used a higher dose.  I use the non-flushing routinely; fortunately only rare instances of any reaction. If you should react, an ice pack to the scalp greatly helps. It will pass. (Tried the flushing, and it was too much.) I use between 1000-2000mg NF at once, and if highly symptomatic, may do it 3-4x in a day.  Perhaps decreasing the dose to <1000mg at one time may give benefit without reaction.  I encourage you to give it another go.

Sometimes different supplements are effective at different times in recovery.  n-acetyl cysteine has given me an unpleasant bounce a couple of times, but I use it. Fish oil is a great anti-inflammatory as well as raw material to make hormones. No issues. Oddly Ashwaganda seems to work at first, then can become excitatory for me.  Possibly because the Ashwaganda helps turn on the thyroid.

I take vit C daily - 500-1000mg each dose; B3 (non-flushing), and some taurine (pseudo-amino acid).  The vitamin C is alternated buffered oral with liposomal C.  Both can cause GI upset.  Start slowly, and see what is your tolerance range.  It calms, and helps with adrenal driven symptoms like intrusive thoughts. (Haven't experienced severe depersonalization, but vit C and B3 might be helpful. They have been used successfully for treatment with schizophrenia.  See Dr. Abram Hoffer's work.) Disclaimer: Always go to the ER if things get too much.

Taurine is a pseudo-amino acid. It is found in bile salts from the GB, and has benefits for diabetes, and diabetic eye conditions as well as being a natural anti-convulsant. It will drop blood sugar so be sure, and take it with food. It helps tremendously with any shaking or tremors. Side benefit: if on blood sugar lowering medicine, may be able reduce med as it eliminates insulin insensitivity.

Genetics can play a role in supplement responses. If you have MTHFR gene problems, you might have a tough time cleansing things out of the liver.  This is where drugs, and their metabolites are broken down to come out through urine, and stool.  It can explain why two similar people on the same drug have different withdrawal experiences. A friend is able to take SAM_E; I don't do well with it. I have tried GABA at different intervals, and get a paradoxical excitement. You mentioned other multivit/ B vitamins.  Use things like L-methyfolate and methylcobalamin carefully. If you have the MTHFR defect, you can overstimulate accidentally.  Good video gives dosages, symptoms, etc 

This is what I've done with myself, and helped both a friend and a family member to try.  All vitamins, minerals, and supplements may have a place in recovery at different intervals. Try changing only one item at a time so that you can monitor the outcome.  One trial is usually not sufficient to decide overall "good or bad" reactions. Start at the lowest dose. If OK, continue at the same amount for a week. How are you doing?  OK- then consider increasing the dose.  If not OK, but not horrible, wait two to four weeks, and try again. Your problem might have been a fluke.

Using these natural things is like using quality lumber to build a house. Provide good materials, and you'll get good construction.  The body wants to be well, and knows how to repair.  Hang in there folks. We'll get there.

I got osteoporosis from benzos and the other meds like ADs. I am 37 and my bone density is so low that I must normally be over 112 years old. I had 2 fractures in the spine thanks to that, invalid for a year. I also had to take cortisone for a longer time that finally made my bones weak and crumbled like a cookie. I am convinced without any med, I would not have osteoporosis.

I got osteoporosis from benzos and the other meds like ADs. I am 37 and my bone density is so low that I must normally be over 112 years old. I had 2 fractures in the spine thanks to that, invalid for a year. I also had to take cortisone for a longer time that finally made my bones weak and crumbled like a cookie. I am convinced without any med, I would not have osteoporosis.

Glad you conquered it! @Marigold1

The excruciating low back pain and the severe tightening of the SI joint is a well known withdrawal symptom from Clonazepam.  I look back at old videos I made during Acute and wonder how I got through it..  and I did because I believed BB when they said it would go away.  It did. Came back with a vengeance a couple of times but at 11 months off, I am praying it is gone for good.  Avoiding stress like the plague.

"The excruciating low back pain and the severe tightening of the SI joint is a well known withdrawal symptom from Clonazepam"  :-[ This drug is literally evil.  I would never have thought this many complications were possible.  I hope you are in the clear !  What is BB @LeslieJ ?

2019Flyer- Sorry you had that experience, don't abandon ship. Because vitamins and minerals act as cofactors, any deficits you had prior to withdrawal seem to come forward. Supplements like Ashwaganda act on existing pathways. All drugs either enhance or stop natural processes.  The longer you're on any med, the more it alters the normal feedback by destroying receptors, turning off natural chemicals production, etc.  This is why recovery goes in fits and starts. It takes time for the body to recalibrate, start production of enzymes , etc., and re-grow nerve endings.

What does your natural doctor advise? Everything he/he recommended is very reasonable when you research what it does for withdrawal.

In general, B3 should have a calming, and sedative effect. You may have gotten some flushing since you used a higher dose.  I use the non-flushing routinely; fortunately only rare instances of any reaction. If you should react, an ice pack to the scalp greatly helps. It will pass. (Tried the flushing, and it was too much.) I use between 1000-2000mg NF at once, and if highly symptomatic, may do it 3-4x in a day.  Perhaps decreasing the dose to <1000mg at one time may give benefit without reaction.  I encourage you to give it another go.

Sometimes different supplements are effective at different times in recovery.  n-acetyl cysteine has given me an unpleasant bounce a couple of times, but I use it. Fish oil is a great anti-inflammatory as well as raw material to make hormones. No issues. Oddly Ashwaganda seems to work at first, then can become excitatory for me.  Possibly because the Ashwaganda helps turn on the thyroid.

I take vit C daily - 500-1000mg each dose; B3 (non-flushing), and some taurine (pseudo-amino acid).  The vitamin C is alternated buffered oral with liposomal C.  Both can cause GI upset.  Start slowly, and see what is your tolerance range.  It calms, and helps with adrenal driven symptoms like intrusive thoughts. (Haven't experienced severe depersonalization, but vit C and B3 might be helpful. They have been used successfully for treatment with schizophrenia.  See Dr. Abram Hoffer's work.) Disclaimer: Always go to the ER if things get too much.

Taurine is a pseudo-amino acid. It is found in bile salts from the GB, and has benefits for diabetes, and diabetic eye conditions as well as being a natural anti-convulsant. It will drop blood sugar so be sure, and take it with food. It helps tremendously with any shaking or tremors. Side benefit: if on blood sugar lowering medicine, may be able reduce med as it eliminates insulin insensitivity.

Genetics can play a role in supplement responses. If you have MTHFR gene problems, you might have a tough time cleansing things out of the liver.  This is where drugs, and their metabolites are broken down to come out through urine, and stool.  It can explain why two similar people on the same drug have different withdrawal experiences. A friend is able to take SAM_E; I don't do well with it. I have tried GABA at different intervals, and get a paradoxical excitement. You mentioned other multivit/ B vitamins.  Use things like L-methyfolate and methylcobalamin carefully. If you have the MTHFR defect, you can overstimulate accidentally.  Good video gives dosages, symptoms, etc 

This is what I've done with myself, and helped both a friend and a family member to try.  All vitamins, minerals, and supplements may have a place in recovery at different intervals. Try changing only one item at a time so that you can monitor the outcome.  One trial is usually not sufficient to decide overall "good or bad" reactions. Start at the lowest dose. If OK, continue at the same amount for a week. How are you doing?  OK- then consider increasing the dose.  If not OK, but not horrible, wait two to four weeks, and try again. Your problem might have been a fluke.

Using these natural things is like using quality lumber to build a house. Provide good materials, and you'll get good construction.  The body wants to be well, and knows how to repair.  Hang in there folks. We'll get there.

Thank you so much for those tips and encouragement @hohhot !

• 4 years later...
How are you doing? Did you find the solution? Benzos deplete a lot of vitamins and minerals from the body. And I feel terrible. Any updates are appreciated.

Prior to benzos I'd no issue taking Vitamins. I remember that I found purity products reviews and decided to try a complex of vitamins. After a week of taking this I feel very energetic, calmer, my skin and hair have improved and it's so wonderful! Maybe try taking something like that again?