What is This Thigh Thing?

[Li...]

I've not had issues with hypochondria and tend to overlook health issues. There is something hurting though, and it compounds the insomnia with pain at night.

I don't know what this is called, so I'll try to describe it. The side of my upper outside thigh where there is kind of a long muscle ridge running from the side of the lower hip down to close the knee hurts. If I run my fingers down that line/ridge, I feel some little knots. Do note that I have very skinny legs, so it is easy to see/feel likes this muscle? ridge.

My leg hurts more when sitting down or laying down (hence the impact on sleep).

I have been putting a rub called Icy-Hot directly on the area, and I take some aspirins. I'd get BenGay, but I can't find that around here.

This has been ongoing since January when I did a fast taper and then spazzed all over the map. I don't know that it's related, but I don't know that it's not.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, what it is, and what to do about it (if anything)?

Thanks for any insight/thoughts/suggestions.

Sounds like a overly tight "IT Band". Mine is always sore cause of exercise.

I would suggest "rolling foam" exercises (youtube videos). The IT Band is meant to be tight but you can "roll" those knots out.

Hope you feel better

p.s.

Or go get a massage. I get weekly massages to help with leg muscles.

Hi FreshStart,

Thanks!

I will check the videos on the foam exercises.

We don't have massage therapists in this area, but I'll bet that would feel good.