I think i started my taper too rapidly

[d1...]

[d1...]

started to taper ativan 3 weeks ago. Was using it for 15+ years daily. At 1mg twice a day. Here is what i did. Went from 2mg to 1.5 to start the taper. Stayed at 1 mg in the morning and .5 in the afternoon for 3 days, then went right to .5 mg in morning to .5 mg in mid afternoon. I decided to hold at this dose as i am having withdrawal anxiety and insomnia....and not coping well. I am holding at this dose for 9 days now. I am trying not to up the dose but rather to stay at this one. Any advice,  will i eventually get used to it so i can move down...what is your experience

In my opinion and comparing to many others tapering schedule that is very fast. I tried to cut fast at the beginning and suffered. I think you’re right I’m not updosing. I would stay where you are until you feel a little better and being a slow taper.

That is way too fast and way to hard on your CNS. I started too fast (not as fast as you) and too confusing and suffered but since my DLMT, it's great with manageable symptoms.  I did have to updose from 25mg to 30mg again for 9 days.  It was awfully scary.

It's recommended that one only reduces 5% - 10% every 10 to 14 days.  I've been on my benzo for 20 years and I chose the 5% every 14 days for my taper to minimize any symptoms.

Check out this  link.  It may be helpful to you.

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/

If you decide to choose the direct taper or liquid taper, click on the bottom of the page for Readme First for more information.

I put your information in the liquid taper plan and according to it, you shouldn't be at .5 for one of your doses until day 70 (that's at 5% every 14 days). If you do use this, be sure to submit it at least twice if it shows you'll be tapering for over 1,000 days.  There is some kind of glitch in the program but after you submit again, it will be correct on the number of days which is about 273.  Big difference.

started to taper ativan 3 weeks ago. Was using it for 15+ years daily. At 1mg twice a day. Here is what i did. Went from 2mg to 1.5 to start the taper. Stayed at 1 mg in the morning and .5 in the afternoon for 3 days, then went right to .5 mg in morning to .5 mg in mid afternoon. I decided to hold at this dose as i am having withdrawal anxiety and insomnia....and not coping well. I am holding at this dose for 9 days now. I am trying not to up the dose but rather to stay at this one. Any advice,  will i eventually get used to it so i can move down...what is your experience

You may have cut rapid, but if you can manage the dis-ease of it for another 2 weeks, I find it takes my body right at a month to get adjusted. The first 10 days after I taper are the WORST.

I give myself month holds as well so I can feel good and have more healing time.

I would never advise up-dosing because of my own hx. There's feeling like hell plus scared plus bad withdraw...and then there's HELL plus can't live like this AT ALL withdraw (then maybe a buddie on here has some advice for you).

Best of luck

Tracess, if I am reading correctly, you cut 50% in 3 weeks.  IMO, that is way too fast and you should updose at least .5 right away.  You have been on that benzo 15 years.  Your central nervous system and brain are going to scream in all probability.  You can try holding on without updosing, but I think it is really going to be rough.  I hope other people post also .  Good luck to you, whatever you do.  We are here.  Mary ☮️🙏💜

Hi Tracess

I’m gonna jump in and agree with most others here that you’ve cut very fast.  There are a few folks who can cut fast and be fine, but many have problems.  I tried tapering very fast in the beginning thinking I was short time on the drug and it destabilized my nervous system.  I had truly horrible symptoms for a couple months.  Since then I’ve had to hold at a steady dose for 3 months And am seeing improvement but I’m still not ready to taper again.  I would consider updosing and restarting a slower taper. 

Once you’ve shocked your nervous system too badly many folks suffer for a long while until stabilized again.  Everyone does heal eventually, but it would be better to avoid the suffering if you can

Tracess, if I am reading correctly, you cut 50% in 3 weeks.  IMO, that is way too fast and you should updose at least .5 right away.  You have been on that benzo 15 years.  Your central nervous system and brain are going to scream in all probability.  You can try holding on without updosing, but I think it is really going to be rough.  I hope other people post also .  Good luck to you, whatever you do.  We are here.  Mary ☮️🙏💜

And sorry, I meant to add you need to hold until your brain and cns have an opportunity to stabilize.  Stabilize doesn't mean no symptoms, just almost tolerable symptoms  :)

I hope you're okay, Tracess.  If you can get back on track a bit and then taper slowly, I do believe you'll have success.

Yup, doing great Tracess,

Hold or Dose Correct, -Its still all part of the fight... What works best for you overall, thats the main thing..

I just wanted to mention that how you respond to your choice might also give you valuable info on where your at in the bigger tapering picture.. -For future reference... So if it suits you, a few notes might help later..??

Not that I want you to complicate things or over focus..

:)

Hope you balance out soon...