Hello! I'm new here...

[He...]

I recently finished my taper and I am having a hard time with some of the after affects so I came here looking for help. The ringing in my ears is maddening and I want to know how to mitigate it, and if it will ever go away.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  We are glad you decided to join us.  You'll find a lot of support and information on this forum, which is the only one of its kind online. It sounds like you are in the acute withdrawal phase, which lasts for a few months after cessation.  You will feel better in time.

For those starting a taper, we generally recommend starting out at a rate of 5 to 10% every 10-14 days, then adjusting the taper to suit your own needs.  Note: very short term users may be able to taper faster.

Withdrawal symptoms, which vary widely but commonly include anxiety and insomnia, often occur during a taper, but these are temporary and will get better in time.  In general, first tapers are easier, but cold turkeys or multiple withdrawals may be more severe and longer lasting.  Here are a few links to get you started:

The Ashton Manual, a concise reference for tapering and symptom issues.  Chapter III contains excellent descriptions of common symptoms such as muscle issues, anxiety, and hyper-awareness

Post Withdrawal Support

Once again, welcome!

Welcome HeyB,

Sounds like a normal withdrawal symptom.  Most all withdrawal symptoms are temporary and will pass with time.

Time and patience = healing.

SaraSue  :smitten:

I recently finished my taper and I am having a hard time with some of the after affects so I came here looking for help. The ringing in my ears is maddening and I want to know how to mitigate it, and if it will ever go away.

Although it seems to be one of the symptoms that can stick around the longest, it should go away eventually. I still have it at 22 months out, but it's not as intense as it was. My preferred method is to use background noise whenever possible to distract my ears. I listen to nature sounds at night, and music or television during the day.