My New Found Problem

[th...]

Hello.  Have been taking alprazolam for 8-10 years.  Always on an as needed basis which was typically about twice a month on average, with occasional times where I might take it 2 or 3 times in a week, but also months at a time without touching the stuff.  I used it for sleeping and only sleeping.  Never took it in the day.  One-quarter milligram did the trick first five or six years.  Then it took the whole pill which is .5 milligram tabs.  Recently (past 4 months) I've had some chronic pain that stems from my cervical spine.  The issue is still being investigated.  Along the way, I identified that when I'd taken a Xanax the pain subsided significantly and I was able to then sleep well.  Also, the pain was still pretty less severe in the am when I awoke.  After being to physical therapy and my primary doctor and prescribed topical creams, prednisone and been on round the clock NSAID's for two months I decided to learn more on the alprazolam.  I've jumped to where I now need the whole milligram (2 pills) in order to sleep.  I am aware that tolerance builds quickly.  I'm actually irritated now because as a human being in pain, you will use what's available to you.  I have a stash of these pills that I've accumulated but it won't last forever.  I really just want to go back to where I was which was that these work miraculously well for an occasional night of insomnia or stressful day or two.  In the midst of this chronic pain I've had a major emotional matter occur and it's hard now to determine if some anxiety that I'm experiencing is related to that alone, or the alprazolam increase that has taken place.  Now that it's occurred to me, I want to start remedying this immediately as I've never thought my low dose would become any type of issue. 

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  We are glad you decided to join us.  You'll find a lot of support and information on this forum, which is the only one of its kind online.  Unfortunately, even people who take benzos"as needed" often develop tolerance or tolerance withdrawal.

For those starting a taper, we generally recommend starting out at a rate of 5 to 10% every 10-14 days, then adjusting the taper to suit your own needs.  Note: very short term users may be able to taper faster.

Withdrawal symptoms, which vary widely but commonly include anxiety and insomnia, often occur during a taper, but these are temporary and will get better in time.  In general, first tapers are easier, but cold turkeys or multiple withdrawals may be more severe and longer lasting.  Here are a few links to get you started:

The Ashton Manual, a concise reference for tapering and symptom issues.  Chapter III contains excellent descriptions of common symptoms such as muscle issues, anxiety, and hyper-awareness

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Once again, welcome!

Welcome thecleanse!

Have you considered that possibly the benzo is causing the pain?  I am not a medical professional, just a thought!

Here to support you.

SaraSue  :smitten: