Do benzos decrease the body's metabolism?

[Be...]

[8d...]
I guess not in my case I was very thin while using benzo and even after. But I took seroquel as a mood stabilzer. Gain a lot. From 55 kg to 80 kg...not nice

I found this for you,

I put on much more on SSRIs then seroquel

Best wishes

Dick

https://obesitymedicine.org/medications-that-cause-weight-gain/

Thanks. So I guess I should blame my weight gain and decreased metabolism on many factors not just benzos but rather all the medications I took in the past! And off course on age, I'm close to 40.

I also wanted to know, is the damage done to my body's metabolism due to medications, reversible?

Hi,

I think you are only on benzos or were. They cause early memory loss.

I know Seroquel and phenothiazines in general can cause diabetes , heart disease due to raised fat levels in the blood and possibly dementia. There has been some evidence phenothiazines  produced  permanent pancreatic damage.

Mirtazipine also effects sugars and cholesterol. 

You will of course know that obesity can cause diabetes heart disease high blood pressure and strokes.

It’s a constant battle for me. Many of us don’t exercise enough when dulled my meds as well.

I hope that helps. 

We have to beat the meds and it’s side effects.

Dick

I personally didn’t put on a any weight during benzo withdrawal, and this is despite the fact that I went from being very active to barely getting off the couch, although I was probably eating a lot less too. I’ve heard that some people develop low thyroid levels in withdrawal, having never had it before, which if it turns out there’s a direct relationship then I think benzos definitely can effect metabolic rate.

Most psycho meds have an impact on the liver and the blood sugar processes, what can lead to weight loss or gain. Its not about the metabolism really.

Most psycho meds have an impact on the liver and the blood sugar processes, what can lead to weight loss or gain. Its not about the metabolism really.

When I first weaned myself off benzos for 2 months and then jumped, I lost about 20 pound! I was happy to see that even though I was in the midst of withdrawal hell and I wasn't anything near happy.! I thought back then that my body's metabolism was restored back to normal and that pills were the only culprit of my weight gain and lowered metabolism, only find out later that the only thing restored here is my weight!