8 months

[se...]

I’m eight months off today.  I’m starting to feel good on a somewhat continual basis after many years of pain and confusion.  I still have waves every week but they aren’t the end of the world like they used to be.  Most of my physical symptoms lifted after 5-6 months and my mental symptoms have largely gone away now too.  There are things I notice everyday but I feel like I will have to live with them for a while.  These are benzo belly, sensitivity to food, minor muscle/joint aches and pain, social and generalized anxiety, cognitive difficulty, and fatigue.  The biggest help by far has been exercise.  I went from sitting on the couch all day for many years to running every day.  I ran 8 miles two days in a row on Friday and Saturday and it felt great.  My life was entirely derailed because of this but I’m hopeful I’ll get some of it back.  I’m working part time while searching for a full time position now.  I will write my success story when I get there and am confident I’ve overcome the rest of this.  Things are looking up though.  I hope this post gives a little hope for anyone reading who may not be far along.  I was drinking pretty heavily while on the benzos and I was on Xanax for almost 12 years.  I went through two cold turkeys – a detox almost 2 years ago and a rapid taper last summer.  If I can feel this good after all that, I believe you can too.

• 2 weeks later...