Can anyone relate to my story?

[WJ...]

Hello,

I was forced to cold turkey off of 2MG of Klonopin as well as as the occasional "backup" dose of 1mg of Xanax after 2 years use.  I was prescribed it for insomnia that was the result of some freakish medical issues I was experiencing at the time.  November 18, 2016 was my last day taking the drug.  My body has been a torture chamber ever since.

I am markedly better and improving every day, however I am a far far cry from a human being still.  I have horrific brain tremors, can't eat carbs/sweeteners, haven't slept through a single night and I could go on and on.  I have little strength in my body and can't stand longer than 10 min.  I need to be able to work normally again and take care of my family.  At this rate, it feels like it could be years longer till I get my life back.

My question is whether it's too late to try the substitution method.  Can I get on Valium, feel better and then start tapering off of it at this juncture?  If you know anything about this protracted of a withdrawal, I would appreciate it.   

Any direction you can provide would be so very much appreciated. 

Thank you and God bless and keep healing you -

WJLKentucky

[37...]

Hello, WJLKentucky — welcome to BenzoBuddies, and congratulations on being benzo-free!

Yes, I sure can relate to your situation! I cold-turkeyed from Ativan nearly three years ago and, while most symptoms have eased up, I’m still saddled with a couple of real troublemakers. I expect to say goodbye to those soon though, perhaps by my third anniversary.

The insomnia can take quite a while to go, since benzos actually make (temporary) changes to the neurotransmitters that allow you to sleep – so that may be one reason to wait it out instead of reinstating in hopes of a better outcome. As someone who did not sleep for more than two hours a night for two solid years, I was amazed that glorious natural sleep finally returned, and lately I’m getting 8-12 hours a night, or even longer when I have the luxury of time.

With a few extra tips that you can pick up from others here, I’m guessing you’ll be able to get back to your pre-benzo sleep baseline in the near future. :thumbsup:

Also, I have to add, I was literally bed bound just over a year ago, and now I can walk over a mile again, and I’m shooting for my old 5-mile-a-day habit. So please don’t be discouraged about the legs issues either.

I'm really glad that you decided to join the forum, though. Our members have gone through benzodiazepine use and withdrawal themselves, so you'll find plenty of information and support here.

The following links should be a good starting place for you to post your questions:

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Cold Turkey

Here's how to join the Protracted Board, which can now be accessed only by subscription – you may want to check with folks there before deciding whether or not to reinstate.

Go to your Profile

Choose Modify Profile >> Group Membership

[Access] Protracted Withdrawal Support Area >> Join Group

Please take a moment to Create a Signature — you can enter your pertinent drug and taper history in the box at the bottom. This will allow members to see where you are in the process, so that they can better support you.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum!

Leslie  :smitten:

The Ashton Manual provides information that can be useful during any stage of withdrawal and recovery, and includes a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations.

WJL,

Benzo withdrawal can be so difficult.  Leslie have you excellent information.

You can do this, hold on.  Healing is not linear.

SaraSue  :smitten: