Do benzos cause a person to gain weight?

[Be...]

BenzoC,

I believe benzos caused me to gain weight.  I ate very little and could not lose the 20 pounds I gained on Xanax.  I lost 30 in month 1 after quitting them. 

SaraSue  :smitten:

I lost 112lbs a few years ago while on Benzos.

Now I am gained g it because can’t stop eating due to WD.

Hi Ajusta,

How far are you in withdrawal? And are you still eating much?

I'm 3 years out and still craving junk food and carbohydrates!

BenzoC,

I believe benzos caused me to gain weight.  I ate very little and could not lose the 20 pounds I gained on Xanax.  I lost 30 in month 1 after quitting them. 

SaraSue  :smitten:

I too lost 20 pounds in month 1 after quitting benzos, same as you. Unfortunately. I regained all the weight I lost and more, later on in withdrawal!

I gained lots of weight while on benzos but it was really in the last year I was on them so I don't know if it was benzos or something else. I have been off a little over 3 months now and managed to loose 8 pounds with diet. Now that I'm feeling better I'm gonna try to start working out. Its hard to motive to workout tho is what I'm finding since I'm feeling down still and I can't drink coffee because it sparks anxiety and withdrawal. This is one of the hardest things about coming off is not having coffee. I have not had much problem craving carbs or sweets anymore. I did when first withdrawing and gave into it but everything I read said sugar makes it worse and it was. I would eat a cookie and my anxiety would be thru the roof so I'm using this opportunity to eat healthy foods and try to get the weight off.