librium taper

[CM...]

I need help  I started with Lorezapam for insomnia 15 yrs ago    I was taking 3,5 mgs until a doctor gave me a script for Levaquin for a sinus infection last March  I was in acute withdrwal by the next day  I did a rapid detox in June at the Coleman Inst in Richmond Virginia  on day 6 I went right back into acute withdrawal  Dr Coleman started me on valium so I could travel back to New Jersey  the damage was done  I was never able to  cover the protracted withdrawals even on 50 mgs of valium, which is where these stupid doctors got me to.  by Oct, I was a complete mess,and unable to really function on all that valium. I could not find a doctor to help me with a taper and went to detox in Summit NJ  the doctor did not really know how to taper me in such a short amount of time  obviously!!!!!  they nearly killed me  6 days of Pheno barbitrol and sent me home. I was sooooo sick  I was up for 21 days and nights I could not eat  Horrible blurry vision, scared of everything    Tacacardia  etc  I almost died  at 22 days I surrendered  and had the doctor put me on Librium  My body and brain would not function off of a benzo.every hospital sent me home  because I did not have a mental dx. I want to taper off the Librium  I read Ashton schedule, my doctor knows nothing so I need a mentor someone who will help me  Please help  thank u

I need help  I started with Lorezapam for insomnia 15 yrs ago    I was taking 3,5 mgs until a doctor gave me a script for Levaquin for a sinus infection last March  I was in acute withdrwal by the next day  I did a rapid detox in June at the Coleman Inst in Richmond Virginia  on day 6 I went right back into acute withdrawal  Dr Coleman started me on valium so I could travel back to New Jersey  the damage was done  I was never able to  cover the protracted withdrawals even on 50 mgs of valium, which is where these stupid doctors got me to.  by Oct, I was a complete mess,and unable to really function on all that valium. I could not find a doctor to help me with a taper and went to detox in Summit NJ  the doctor did not really know how to taper me in such a short amount of time  obviously!!!!!  they nearly killed me  6 days of Pheno barbitrol and sent me home. I was sooooo sick  I was up for 21 days and nights I could not eat  Horrible blurry vision, scared of everything    Tacacardia  etc  I almost died  at 22 days I surrendered  and had the doctor put me on Librium  My body and brain would not function off of a benzo.every hospital sent me home  because I did not have a mental dx. I want to taper off the Librium  I read Ashton schedule, my doctor knows nothing so I need a mentor someone who will help me  Please help  thank u

Hi,

So I am on a Librium Taper for the last 8 months from a very high dose of Xanax for 20 years, I started at 50mg of Librium last August and I wasn't really fully stable until this March, I am currently at 12.5mg of Librium after making every tapering mistake that anyone can make, furthermore I also attempted a rapid detox back in July 2018 and ended up in a Ambulance and 4 days in the Hospital, the good news , I was admitted into the Hospital an additional 3 times for blood pressure and low heart rate and I was tested every way possible including a Cardiac catheterization and a Brain Scan, and guess what, they found nothing, its all from the Benzo, every symptom that I have is from the Benzo, I thought I was dying for sure, however I wasn't it was the Benzo, this medicine is just pure poison to me and now I plan on being Benzo free this year if at all possible, how much Librium are you currently taking ?

and what is your taper plan?

I'll taper with you take good care of yourself and don't rush anything be good to yourself.

Kindest Regards

Terry

Hi Terry, thanks for ur response.  I am taking 35 mg per day  10 10 15.  Dr Ashton says 3 doses a day not needed, so I was going to start with a 5 per cent drop every few wks, if I’m ok, from the middle dose to get  to 2 doses a day.  And go from there.  I’m sooo afraid.    Can it possibly be as bad as the rapid detox I did last time with Valium????They just moved me from benzo to benzo because no Doctor or hospital knew what to do.  I have been to the hospital many times also.  Many tests and so on.  I was put on beta blocker for HR in the hundreds every night.  But my BP was low after acute moved, only from going back on benzo.  Do u think I’m going about taper correctly??? Happy Easter/Passover!!!! CMul0709

Hi Terry, thanks for ur response.  I am taking 35 mg per day  10 10 15.  Dr Ashton says 3 doses a day not needed, so I was going to start with a 5 per cent drop every few wks, if I’m ok, from the middle dose to get  to 2 doses a day.  And go from there.  I’m sooo afraid.    Can it possibly be as bad as the rapid detox I did last time with Valium????They just moved me from benzo to benzo because no Doctor or hospital knew what to do.  I have been to the hospital many times also.  Many tests and so on.  I was put on beta blocker for HR in the hundreds every night.  But my BP was low after acute moved, only from going back on benzo.  Do u think I’m going about taper correctly??? Happy Easter/Passover!!!! CMul0709

Hi,

For sure a 5% taper every few weeks seems fine to me, take it slow as possible and make sure you are completely stable prior to making another dose cut, this has been my problem as I'm working in a very high stress job and tapering, its been the hardest thing I've ever had to do, I'm currently taking three doses 7am - noon -7pm and I just cut my noon dose in half and I'm doing okay some headaches however I can deal with it, watch everything you eat and drink, I've cut out all alcohol, caffeine, processed sugar and gluten and I drink tons of water.

Don't forget to be good to yourself !

Kindest Regards

Terry

I hate to bombard u!! Are u going to stay at the 3 doses daily all the way to the end?  I’m trying to decide if I should not be concerned about getting to 2 doses daily instead of 3. Because then I will be eliminating the mid day dose completely. I dk if my body will be able to make it to the nighttime dose what do u think?? I’m currently dosing at 9 30 am.  330 pm.  930 pm.  My mornings are tough, I’m shaky now, but again I’m afraid to move all my dosing times around also.  Can I tell me what the last 8 months have been like as far as the specific withdrawal symptoms as u have been tapering.  I dont think I could drop 5 mg at a time as u have.  How do u sleep?? I couldn’t even sleep after they put me on the Librium.  I got Med marajuana lisence, which is making me sleep, but different strains can cause more anxiety the next day.  Weird.  Can receptors stay down regulated forever??

I hate to bombard u!! Are u going to stay at the 3 doses daily all the way to the end?  I’m trying to decide if I should not be concerned about getting to 2 doses daily instead of 3. Because then I will be eliminating the mid day dose completely. I dk if my body will be able to make it to the nighttime dose what do u think?? I’m currently dosing at 9 30 am.  330 pm.  930 pm.  My mornings are tough, I’m shaky now, but again I’m afraid to move all my dosing times around also.  Can I tell me what the last 8 months have been like as far as the specific withdrawal symptoms as u have been tapering.  I dont think I could drop 5 mg at a time as u have.  How do u sleep?? I couldn’t even sleep after they put me on the Librium.  I got Med marajuana lisence, which is making me sleep, but different strains can cause more anxiety the next day.  Weird.  Can receptors stay down regulated forever??

Hi,

I am not sure if I will stay at 3 doses, I tried to cut the noon dose back in January and it didn't work for me so after consulting with my Doctor I reinstated

the noon dose for about 3 months, and I finally felt stable enough to continue with my taper, this time cutting my noon dose in half, so far I'm fine with the

cut so for now I'll continue on 3 doses (12.5mg total), I would not recommend making the 5mg cuts as I did, my next cuts will be at 10% until I get off this poison. In regards to my symptoms, I've had terrible anxiety, some depression, vertigo, terrible tinnitus with inner ear pressure and now I know that its all from the Benzo, from everything I've been told all this should fade away in time, how much time, I'm not sure, however I have a goal of being benzo free this year, no the receptors will not stay down is what I'm told, I've had a complete brain scan showing no problems, so its all associated with the withdrawal, every symptom I have is from my protracted withdrawal, so I know that if this is the fact then as I continue to taper down and get off the Benzo then my system will heal.

I have to add one thing, if I did not have to work in a very stressful environment I know that I would be much farther along in the process,

I've just been very fortunate so far in regards to keeping everything going some how.

Stay strong and let us all be patient as we heal from this poison.

Kind Regards

Terry

Can u tell me as u have been tapering which dose u were taking away from ?  Did u switch it around??  And I know 10per cent would be too big of a cut for me, that’s why, I’m planning the 5 per cent cut.  What did u feel like ur mistakes have been. ? From looking at ur schedule, the one reinstatement , where u held for 3 months, looks like the only set back u had. I just don’t understand every few wks or whenever we feel ready to go down again, each time,which dose we are supposed to take it from??I know u said only to go down each time if I feel fully stable,  lI’m not stable now at the full 35 mgs daily. So, does that mean the taper will be a disaster for me? My doc says that to, but the problem is that I’m never fully stable. I am a teacher, I was out on disability for 9 months after this all started with the Levaquin interaction with the original Lorezapam I had been on, back last March.  I’ve been back to work for 3 months, and it has been very tough. I’m anticipating having to go out again. I have to be on my feet ALL day long, and constantly ON.I just want to fully understand when tapering, at which does I’m supposed to take from?? Thank u again.  U are almost done and U have remained working, that is quite commendable  Than u again for trying to help me get ready for this

Can u tell me as u have been tapering which dose u were taking away from ?  Did u switch it around??  And I know 10per cent would be too big of a cut for me, that’s why, I’m planning the 5 per cent cut.  What did u feel like ur mistakes have been. ? From looking at ur schedule, the one reinstatement , where u held for 3 months, looks like the only set back u had. I just don’t understand every few wks or whenever we feel ready to go down again, each time,which dose we are supposed to take it from??I know u said only to go down each time if I feel fully stable,  lI’m not stable now at the full 35 mgs daily. So, does that mean the taper will be a disaster for me? My doc says that to, but the problem is that I’m never fully stable. I am a teacher, I was out on disability for 9 months after this all started with the Levaquin interaction with the original Lorezapam I had been on, back last March.  I’ve been back to work for 3 months, and it has been very tough. I’m anticipating having to go out again. I have to be on my feet ALL day long, and constantly ON.I just want to fully understand when tapering, at which does I’m supposed to take from?? Thank u again.  U are almost done and U have remained working, that is quite commendable  Than u again for trying to help me get ready for this

Hi,

In regards to tapering when I don't feel stable?? For Myself I would now say I will not taper unless I feel stable, I like you have been through way too much to risk getting way off track again, I work in the defense industry and I too must stay on my game and its very important that I try to stabilize.

In regards to which dose to taper I personally have always tried to cut my mid day dose first, because mornings are tough for me and also its important that I get to sleep so 7pm dose is my last to taper, I hope this helps, I found that diet has been a major challenge, if I eat the wrong thing it can give me a 3-5 day setback just recently I found that I cant handle any type of nuts, so one more thing I had to stop eating, diet and tapering too fast have been my biggest mistakes and I've really put in overtime to correct both, BTW, I was out on medical leave October - December (60 days) and its still possible that I won't be able to continue to work full time Its very difficult.

You are on 35mg of Librium, are you sure that is enough ? how much Lorazepam were you taking when you crossed over to Librium?

According to the Ashton comparison chart 1mg of Lorazepam is equal to 25mg of Librium just as a reference.

Kindest Regards

Terry

Remember to drink a lot of water.

But if I’m not stable on the benzo how will I ever begin a taper, to get off the benzo?? Idk if it’s  protracted withdrawal/tolerance withdrawal or whatever withdrawal.  But in the last month I started to feel withdrawal symptoms again.  So what’s my choice??  Never taper.  Go up and pray to get stable and then taper?? I’m so confused  I can’t imagine ever feeling perfect enough to say I’m fully stable. I have been sick for 1 year and 1 month, on benzos. So does that preclude me from tapering off??

Inbetween Lorezapam at 3.5 mg and then on 48 mg of Valium. Always trying to cover up withdrawal fro the 2 detoxes.Yes one would say that the 35 mgs of Librium was never going to be enough to make me feel totally stable.The thought of going up to the equivalent Amt.to hopefully get stable just makes it seem so much longer to come down.But maybe that is the answer

Inbetween Lorezapam at 3.5 mg and then on 48 mg of Valium. Always trying to cover up withdrawal fro the 2 detoxes.Yes one would say that the 35 mgs of Librium was never going to be enough to make me feel totally stable.The thought of going up to the equivalent Amt.to hopefully get stable just makes it seem so much longer to come down.But maybe that is the answer

First off I'm not an expert however it seems that you have already tapered down a lot, 35mg of Librium from 3.5mg of Lorazepam or 48mg of Valium

is a pretty significant decrease, possibly talk to your Doctor about it and check the Ashton comparison chart, its pretty important that you are stable prior

to cutting your dose any further I believe?

Kind Regards

Terry

Hi Again,

I went back and read your original post above, it appears that you have been through the mill, I would not worry about tapering right now I would just

work on getting stable no matter how long it takes, just take it one day at a time and don't rush yourself, you will heal from this, I just started to get to where I felt that I could begin to taper again after a failed attempt to taper 3 months ago, it's been a year of tapering for me total at this point so I'll be here, my symptoms have been pretty severe so you're not alone, remember to be good to yourself.

Kindest Regards

Terry

I’m sorry ur feeling so bad right now.  If u feel up to it, can u just tell me that when u said maybe I should just wait to taper untill I feel stable, do u mean go up on my dose of Librium?? How else would I get stable? If I’m at tolerance, that wouldn’t happen, unless I went up? I’ve been sitting at 35 mgs since November(5 months)and never was fully stable.  My doctor knows nothing more than writing a script. It’s useless to even ask him anything. He just doesn’t know how to get people off.  Only on.  Ill watch to see if u respond.  If not , I hope u start to feel better soon.  I feel like ur so close! Thanks

I’m sorry ur feeling so bad right now.  If u feel up to it, can u just tell me that when u said maybe I should just wait to taper untill I feel stable, do u mean go up on my dose of Librium?? How else would I get stable? If I’m at tolerance, that wouldn’t happen, unless I went up? I’ve been sitting at 35 mgs since November(5 months)and never was fully stable.  My doctor knows nothing more than writing a script. It’s useless to even ask him anything. He just doesn’t know how to get people off.  Only on.  Ill watch to see if u respond.  If not , I hope u start to feel better soon.  I feel like ur so close! Thanks

Thank You for the kind words much appreciated !

My feeling from day one of my taper is to get off this poison as fast as possible, however we have to be functional

so I personally would not increase my dose unless its absolutely necessary, and I would begin to taper at the 5% rate every few weeks if you

believe that you can handle it, I was just concerned that you were saying that you were not stable.

Please stay in contact.

Kindest Regards

Terry

I have to get off this medicine I believe at this point after 1 year of tapering that it is now just hurting me, so I cut my morning

dose in half 2.5mg or 10mg/ day total, I will try to keep the evening dose at 5mg for now, so now I'm @ morning 2.5mg - noon -2.5mg- evening 5mg

wish me luck I'm going to jump off sooner than later.

I cut my evening dose to 2.5mg also, lets see how I will do at 7.5mg daily I feel that its time for me.

Kind Regards

Terry

I started weaning the first part of 2016 and FINALLY down to 0 about 3 weeks ago April 2019,  The story in 1966 I was put on Librium 25 mg until the first part of 2016 and Dr put me on Clonazapam 5.0mg and the fun began,  sure was a tough journey cutting back on the Clonazapam very slowly and lots of side affects

to this day.  First off Clonazapam was not strong enough to do the job of Librium,  I became pretty sick and was until I tapered from 5.0 mg to nothing

about three weeks ago.  I was 26 when I started on Librium and got along well for all these years until Dr.  Told me that Librium was really not prescribed anymore

and started me on The Clonazapam. This is not much help probably,  but I did want to say something as it is hard but you can do it and the whole process does take a long time to complete If anyone feels that I may be of some help I am here,

Librium 30 Mg  1966 to Early 2016 50 yrs  Clonazapam 5.0 slowly down to 0  Early 2016 to April 2019.  Benzo 000

Hi Cilmonon,

You were on Librium for 50 years and then crossed over to Clonazepam and tapered off , wow that is GREAT, Many Congratulations on your

success !!

I do have a question for you, I was on a high dose of Xanax for 20 years, and now on Librium for the last 8 months, the Ashton Comparison Chart

shows that 1mg of Xanax or Clonazepam is equal to 50mg of Librium, do you agree with this strength comparison? I'm having some WD symptoms

since I cut my dose of Librium from 12.5mg to 7.5mg however nothing near the WD symptoms I experienced last year during my Xanax crossover to

Librium, so far the Librium is doing its job of getting me stable and allowing me to taper down, I would like to hear from a Librium veteran on the

strength comparisons and symptoms vs. Xanax or Clonazepam which are supposed to be equal in strength.

Thank You !

Kindest Regards

Terry

Hi. I started my Librium taper yesterday after holding at 35 mg for 4.5 months.  I went down only 5% fro my midday dose.  Didn’t sleep much.  Having a lot of sweating.  But it’s so long acting I won’t really know for few days.  Terry how is the last drop u did.  Are u doing ok.?? I just saw ur 4/29 post.  I still don’t know how to navigate this site!!! How long after each drop did u have symptoms???Im scared

Hi,

I felt each cut immediately and after 3-4 days it was easier, I truly believe that if you keep tapering down slowly that it will increase your

healing, my latest reduction from 12.5mg to 7.5mg has for sure helped me mentally and physically, I now know that I can live without Benzo's

just fine and that our body needs to be chemical free in order to fully heal, we can do this, just remember that we will be stronger than ever due

to the FACT that Benzo's are causing much of our problems and that whatever problems we had prior to taking this evil drug pails in comparison

to what the drug has done to us.

I have to add one more thing, don't be afraid of Librium its not as scary as a Lorazepam / Ativan or worse which is Xanax, the symptoms are not

nearly as bad or scary, just slow taper and everything will be fine.

Congratulations on your taper and I look forward to reading about your continued success !

Kind Regards

Terry

Okay so I've tapered down to 6.75mg /day a 10% cut today and I'm getting the headaches again,

I thought by cutting by just 10% it would save me from these headaches however I'm starting to

believe at this point I'm getting close to being ready to jump, some symptoms have gotten better,

the inner ear clogging is a little better after 10 months, and the severe anxiety has gotten

better and my sleep has improved, my plan now is to keep cutting by 10% every 10-14 days until I feel even more

stable and then Jump, I'm saying my prayers that this battle for my life might be close to over after 1 year.

Kind Regards

Terry