Scientists Have Identified The Physical Source of Anxiety in The Brain

[Fi...]

"Scientists Have Identified The Physical Source of Anxiety in The Brain"

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-identified-control-switch-anxiety-brain-cells-neuron-disorder-anxiety

"We're not wired to feel safe all the time, but maybe one day we could be.

A recent study investigating the neurological basis of anxiety in the brain has identified 'anxiety cells' located in the hippocampus – which not only regulate anxious behaviour but can be controlled by a beam of light."

"These cells are probably just one part of an extended circuit by which the animal learns about anxiety-related information," Kheirbek told NPR, highlighting other neural cells justify additional study too.

In any case, the next steps will be to find out whether the same control switch is what regulates human anxiety – and based on what we know about the brain similarities with mice, it seems plausible.

If that pans out, these results could open a big new research lead into ways to treat various anxiety conditions.

And that's something we should all be grateful for."

Very ‘Brave New World’

Maybe it is the world that needs changing...

Ajusta, a popular phrase used in current times goes something like this: 'The only thing that is constant is change.' The concept of that phrase is often attributed to a greek philosopher named Heraclitus.

You are probably too young to have watched the original Star Trek series, created by Gene Roddenberry.

I was a fan of that series and I was especially interested in the technological devices showcased there.

Here is an article that highlights 12 devices from that series that are now in use. There were more devices from that tv series that are not highlighted in this article which are of great importance, especially some devices used by the medical staff of the "Star Ship, Enterprise":

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31876/12-star-trek-gadgets-now-exist

I am aware of Heraclitus - I have a degree in philosophy.

My point was not that it won’t work but that it would be better if the world were less stressful so people were less anxious.

Everyone should be taught yoga and meditation from primary school.

Fear exists for a reason. It's a trait passed down because it has survival value. Those without it don't flourish. It should not be done away with, any more than pain should be eliminated. And when they tell you they've eliminated fear, and all you have to do is swallow this little pill or look at this pretty beam of light or submit to this minor surgery - that's when you need fear the most. Fear those experts! They're the same gang who told us benzos were the answer to our problems.

Fear exists for a reason. It's a trait passed down because it has survival value. Those without it don't flourish. It should not be done away with, any more than pain should be eliminated. And when they tell you they've eliminated fear, and all you have to do is swallow this little pill or look at this pretty beam of light or submit to this minor surgery - that's when you need fear the most. Fear those experts! They're the same gang who told us benzos were the answer to our problems.

I'm not inclined to buy into a spin of facts that developers and trained practitioners of medicines and medical devices are part of the same "gang" as unscrupulous profiteering marketers and abusers, some of whom are currently being prosecuted as noted in other posts in this thread.

What are now considered 'minor' surgeries were once almost certainly life threatening conditions. For example, I would not recommend needless joint replacements but for many those procedures, which are now routinely and successfully performed, often improve persons' quality of life for many, many years and need not be feared nor avoided.

@[Fi...] - True, but remember, before all those unscrupulous profiteering marketers and abusers, we had the experts, the scientists who invented those drugs in the first place, drugs which they promised would free us from fear and anxiety, snap snap - just like that. They ignored the forces that brought those emotions into existence in the first place, not just in humans, but in every animal we know; the overwhelming natural  forces that work against their puny synthetic chemicals, to redress the imbalances they cause and render them impotent - and then leave us to recover from them, if we can. I'm not talking about procedures that restore what's been lost or damaged by time or trauma. I'm talking about attempts to eliminate fundamental parts of our natural makeup that we find unpleasant, things like hunger, thirst and fatigue; fear, sadness and pain; even anger and hate. All these "negative" qualities developed in us over millions of years, and for good reasons. They are not defects. They are basic parts of our nature. I don't trust anyone, profiteer or scientist, who says we can simply eliminate any one of those "bad" qualities and just move on. Our natures will not sit idly by and let that happen without putting up one hell of a fight. If we've learned anything from this benzo nightmare, we should have learned that. And then one other thing we should have learned: just because these hot-shot experts tell us their drugs will accomplish this or that wonderful thing, that doesn't make it true. We've seen their broken promises with barbiturates, benzodiazepines and now z-drugs, and a whole range of other drugs as well. They're all perfectly safe and totally effective, at first. And then, somehow, we end up with a generation of thalidomide babies. Oops! Well, next time for sure!

That's all I meant to say.

I co-sign totally this point of view. Without the fear of stagnating there is no motivation to push ourselves.

Fear is like any primitive function of the brain or body, it has the same utility for our survival as any organ in our bodies. Fear tells us a very important message.

Of course it can spin out of control and I think it happens to much more people than we suspect. Some are just better armed to deal with fear than others. But in any case dominate our fears by ourselves is one of the biggest challenge of our lives and it’s very rewarding when you succeed without pills. At least this WD forced me to find ways to cope without pills.

I don’t hold grudge with scientists or doctors tho, I just know I made a mistake taking the pill and i’m  the one responsible for that. When I was deep in the hole I thought only a pill could help me (and I didn’t had any depressive episode in my life in 38 years).I should have known better to be extra careful with man made psych drug.

Lesson learned the hard way!!