Hi! New here, freaking out at horror stories! Advice needed pls x

[Th...]

Hi all.

Ive been self-treating my anxiety during a house move with Valium since Dec, but not every day.

I’m ready to stop now, besides I can’t get any more. I have 30 tabs of 10mg left.

I have a recent history of opiate abuse,  but with diazepam I am dependent rather than addicted. I’m not on opiates at the moment, just recovering from a short binge. No plans to take more.

I’ve familiarised myself with the Ashton Handbook.

Not taken any tabs for a couple of days. I understand the half life of diazepam is very long.

I have some questions:

Should I wait until I have any WDs  (i might not, surely?) or start a taper now?

I don’t want to continue having this shit in my system longer than necessary, which presumably would increase my dependence, but I don’t want to CT & kick off protracted WDs by damaging my brain.

Please note I only have a finite number of pills, & no smaller than 10mg. Would prob use a solution method for reducing.

I realise this is small fry compared to most of you but I am really worried I’ll be ill for months. This is new territory for me, I realise that is in my favour.

Advice gratefully received.

Hey THTA-

Try not to worry about the horror stories. In the real world the majority of folks get off of benzo's with minimal symptoms a recover quickly. You will find the minority here on this forum. You have enough tablets to rapid taper for almost 3 months (relative to the time you took benzo) if you follow the plan listed above. It is actually a a reasonable rate. Try not to worry  :thumbsup:

Welcome honkytonkangel!

As Bella said, please do yourself a favor and don't think the horror stories are going to happen to you. 

I took benzos for about the same amount of time as you and just completed a 3+ month taper.  As I decreased in dose, I felt better.  I've now been off for 6 days and improvements continue.

What worked for me is eating healthy, avoiding alcohol, minimizing stress, exercise, staying positive, learning & practicing coping skills.

Lots of great support here at BB to tap into.  Wishing you fast healing.

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

WOW! Thank you so much, these comments are the only reassuring things I’ve read so far! 

I very much appreciate your comment. (And I love the mouse!)

I will hope I’m in the majority who gets through this with minimal distress.

Do you think I should wait until/if I get symptoms to start a taper? Or will the concentrations in my system be too low by then?

Bella, hi, I see you have a ticker that shows your progress now that you off. I am not sure which I should use for that, I am now currently using a debit ticker, and I will be off in the the distance future. I am sorry to intrude on thread. Thanks. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

WOW! Thank you so much, these comments are the only reassuring things I’ve read so far! 

I very much appreciate your comment. (And I love the mouse!)

I will hope I’m in the majority who gets through this with minimal distress.

Do you think I should wait until/if I get symptoms to start a taper? Or will the concentrations in my system be too low by then?

Hey, no worries...I hope you are in the majority too. :thumbsup:

If I were in your shoes I would start the taper immediately, especially because of the limited amount of tablets. One does not want to be on this class of medication any longer than absolutely necessary.

It took me 6 weeks to enter "crazyland" withdrawal symptoms (I was a long term user and s slow metabolizer)

Congrats on kicking the Heroin! Just a fyi... I have read many stories where others have posted that heroin withdrawal was a walk in the park compared to benzo withdrawal (if one turns out to be sensitive) I can only imagine that you REALLY do not want to find out if you are sensitive or not. :wacko:

Best of luck to whatever you decide to do... :smitten:

Bella, hi, I see you have a ticker that shows your progress now that you off. I am not sure which I should use for that, I am now currently using a debit ticker, and I will be off in the the distance future. I am sorry to intrude on thread. Thanks. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Hey begood-

I think I used the Event option...cannot remember for sure, but try this one out.  :thumbsup:

Hey begood-

I think I used the Event option...cannot remember for sure, but try this one out.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Bella, will copy for later. :thumbsup::smitten:

Ha, yes Bella, I read that too, that’s exactly why I’ve been freaked out. I’ve had a hard enough time with repeated WDs from heroin. At least I could take Valium short term to cure help those!!

:tickedoff:

Well all you really can do is taper off the poison and hope to god you are not sensitive b-cuz it can be very difficult and debilitating for some of us...