Tapering off of HRT help

[ni...]

I was put on HRT for hot flashes and mood swings. I am now trying to taper off of estradiol and need some suggestions.

I am on 0.5 mgs eod. Last week I shaved off some crumbs and did okay that night and the following day.  Last night, I shaved off approximately the same amount, but just eyeballing it, so it's not exact. Anyway, last night I slept not a wink. Seriously, I don't sleep much anyway, but I need some sleep to function.

Any ideas or thoughts/suggestions?

I don't want to give up on this plan of getting off, as it was mentioned by a BB that the estradiol could perhaps be keeping me from returning to better sleep.

I am also having some issues around my BHRT. I am currently taking 200mg prometrium nightly and have low dose estrogen and testosterone pellets that last 3 months.  Are you taking progesterone? I completed a fairly quick taper of Ativan and Zoloft 3.5 weeks ago. I have been waking with my heart racing 2-3 hours after my progesterone pill. Dont know if its just early stages of Ativan withdrawal still working its way out or if it's the progesterone.  I want to taper off the hormones but I am afraid of what it will be another rocky road.

I would like to hear more about your experience tapering with hormones. Thanks!

Hi Gratefulheart, I had a hysterectomy 15 years ago and was then prescribed estrogen only. I had been on both estrogen and progesterone prior to that.

it is difficult to tell if your racing heart is from the Ativan withdrawal.  Sometimes we can only guess.

Since beginning my taper off of Estradiol this last week, I stopped sleeping. I felt so sick yesterday and last night. I worked at staying awake until my usual bedtime and then did not sleep, again. Not sure if I will go back to the half of the little Estradiol before I started taking a few crumbs off. I am so frustrated. 

My pcp suggested a few years ago, to take the Estradiol eod, which I did without any problems. I was only taking a half a pill at the time. I talked to him again about getting off last fall and he had no further suggestions. He did say that HRT does affect the brain.  I cant find anything when I do a search that will address both benzo and HRT withdrawal.

We need to stay strong.

My HRT taper update. Because of going down to close to zero sleep after starting the taper, I went back to the normal half a pill EOD. My sleep is a little better. I guess I'll put the taper plan on hold for a while longer.

Physically and mentally, I am in no condition to deal with the HRT taper.

• 1 month later...

I decided to go every three days instead of two with my estradiol and then just stopped after my body/brain seemed not to notice. 

four nights after the last dose, I slept for 4.5 hours straight. I woke up so elated.  :smitten:

Last night I ate a kiwi before bed, as it helped with sleep when I was on the cruise last year.

It put me in a stupor all night and I did sleep some. I didn't like the stupor feeling. 

Tonight I shall let nature take its course.

As of now, I am on no medications at all as well as no vitamins/herbals.