Help from mothers, freaking out right now!!!

[Ra...]

Any possible information till I get to my doctor??? I just found out I am pregnant, today. I was tapering for a year from bromazepam, lately I was on 1 mg every other day. Can somebody reply before monday, is it possible that I did something to my baby, I am reading whole morning and have panic attack!!

Hi

Sorry you are very concerned.

We are not permitted to give medical advice as you know. You are free to ring 111 in the uk for medical advice or google your problem.

Congratulations on the pregnancy and I hope you can relax,

Yours

Dick

Hopefully, your baby is ok. A compassionate medical doctor is the best one to advise in a situation like this. I am unfamiliar with the benzos like bromazepam. Here in the US, the major 4 are xanax, ativan, klonopin, and valium. You say you are now on 1mg every other day? How much were you on before you decided to taper? What was it being prescribed to you for ....just curious.

Hi Rabbit heart,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!  If you're taking 1mg bromazepam every other day (averaging out to .5mg/day), according to Ashton, .5mg bromazepam is about the equivalent of 1mg V - some say that's the therapeutic threshold and one from which many people jump and cease dosing.  You might consider doing just that.  Ashton has 1mg V as the final dose in her tapering schedule examples.

Here's what Ashton has to say about benzodiazepines and pregnancy:

Adverse effects in pregnancy. Benzodiazepines cross the placenta, and if taken regularly by the mother in late pregnancy, even in therapeutic doses, can cause neonatal complications. The foetus and neonate metabolise benzodiazepines very slowly, and appreciable concentrations may persist in the infant up to two weeks after birth, resulting in the "floppy infant syndrome" of lax muscles, oversedation, and failure to suckle. Withdrawal symptoms may develop after about two weeks with hyperexcitability, high-pitched crying and feeding difficulties.

Benzodiazepines in therapeutic doses appear to carry little risk of causing major congenital malformations. However, chronic maternal use may impair foetal intrauterine growth and retard brain development. There is increasing concern that such children in later life may be prone to attention deficit disorder, hyperactivity, learning difficulties, and a spectrum of autistic disorders.

https://benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha01.htm#16

Take a deep breath and try to relax.

I hope this information helps.  Wishing you the best!

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

Thank you all, I'm a little calmer now, I just tried to get friendly words  :-[ sierra big hug for you, hormones are kicking in

Thank you all, I'm a little calmer now, I just tried to get friendly words  :-[ sierra big hug for you, hormones are kicking in

Great to hear, Rabbit heart!  So happy you're calmer now.  I remember those pregnancy hormone days well.  :)  Congratulations!

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

Hello- Congrats on your pregnancy. This is likely a very emotional (and hormonal time).

First, do not make any rash decisions without getting your OBGYN's , and prescriber's medical advice. There are many psychiatrists that work with expectant mothers on managing medications- crossing to a safer class, etc.

Second, hop on over to babycentercommunity boards.... MANY women on there who have taken benzo while pregnant under medical supervision and or have tapered. Lots of questions and information as far as whose doctor said what- who stayed on and the healthy outcomes and who weaned, etc.  I believe taking to and hearing from other Moms will be a great benefit to you.

Best wishes!

Sierra said it perfectly. As always Sierra.  :thumbsup:

If it helps...I tapered off Klonopin while I was pregnant. I was told to not go too quickly. I was seen by a perinatologist who had more extensive knowledge on the subject than your average OBGYN. I was also informed and read myself that there is no evidence linking congenital malformations to therapeutic doses.

I have a healthy energetic three year old (almost four) who is clever, as well as emotionally engaged and engaging.

Try not to worry! Feel free to ask any questions.

Annie