Hello, I’m new here x

[Th...]

Hi.

I’ve been self-treating my anxiety during a house move by stupidly taking Valium I bought from the street which came from the internet (although seems legit). This has been since early Dec. At first only 5mg, 2 or 3 times a week, with alcohol, then it crept up to 5-10mg daily Feb/March/April. I confess, I haven’t been keeping a precise record & it’s all been a bit blurry.

I have about 30 tabs of 10mg left & no way of getting more. I’m now in a calmer situation & feel able to stop, so I began researching what to expect. Whilst I was aware I’d need to taper a bit, I didn’t expect it to need to take so long, or be so gradual, or to read the many horror stories.

I’m an old hand at opiate WD but this is something else.

I’ve been cutting my dose massively the last 3 weeks as I’ve been using opiates daily (I know how dangerous the combo is) & took last pill 2 days ago. Just finishing a mild opiate WD from my ope binge so hard to tell if I’m having any symptoms from the benzo WD, but I’ve read benzo WDs could take up to 3 weeks to even begin due to long half life??

So I want to know if I should wait for definite symptoms, & what kind of taper to do, if at all, whilst being aware now that CT from Benzos is not the same as CT from opes. I’ve also read that CT can make the process FAR more protracted. And that it’s inadvisable to take the kind of supplements I use for ope WDs, as they are either gaba-ergic or will just slow down healing another way.

Reading horror stories of years of terrible symptoms has left me terrified, frankly... & I only have a finite amount of pills.

Help gratefully received xxx

Hi Thehonkytonkangel :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We have a wonderful community, you will get plenty of support here.  Try not to worry, not everyone has a bad time.  Benzodiazepines should be tapered slow, if you have been on them more than a few weeks.  Please check out the forum, ask questions, do your own research.  It is generally recommended, to reduce between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days. 

Any withdrawal symptoms you might experience are temporary, we do get better eventually, some of us can take longer to recover than others.  Supplements can be quite tricky in withdrawal,  some of us can tolerate them, while others like me could not!.  I found they revved up my withdrawal symptoms, we are all different. 

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support General Taper Plans

Post withdrawal recovery support.

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

I can only speak from persona experience. When I had surgery they stopped my diazepam as I had other stuff in my system as you see in my signature.

I felt a bit sweaty and sick for a while on that dose reduction but it passed.

Hi.

I’ve been self-treating my anxiety during a house move by stupidly taking Valium I bought from the street which came from the internet (although seems legit). This has been since early Dec. At first only 5mg, 2 or 3 times a week, with alcohol, then it crept up to 5-10mg daily Feb/March/April. I confess, I haven’t been keeping a precise record & it’s all been a bit blurry.

I have about 30 tabs of 10mg left & no way of getting more. I’m now in a calmer situation & feel able to stop, so I began researching what to expect. Whilst I was aware I’d need to taper a bit, I didn’t expect it to need to take so long, or be so gradual, or to read the many horror stories.

I’m an old hand at opiate WD but this is something else.

I’ve been cutting my dose massively the last 3 weeks as I’ve been using opiates daily (I know how dangerous the combo is) & took last pill 2 days ago. Just finishing a mild opiate WD from my ope binge so hard to tell if I’m having any symptoms from the benzo WD, but I’ve read benzo WDs could take up to 3 weeks to even begin due to long half life??

So I want to know if I should wait for definite symptoms, & what kind of taper to do, if at all, whilst being aware now that CT from Benzos is not the same as CT from opes. I’ve also read that CT can make the process FAR more protracted. And that it’s inadvisable to take the kind of supplements I use for ope WDs, as they are either gaba-ergic or will just slow down healing another way.

Reading horror stories of years of terrible symptoms has left me terrified, frankly... & I only have a finite amount of pills.

Help gratefully received xxx

Welcome to BB HTW, could you please add the opioids to your drug list so we have a complete picture?

We want to give you the best advice possible.  One last question, are you tapering any of the opioids now, please put all that in the signature too :)