Tapering off Klonopin with Gabapentin

[Ab...]

Male, 47 years old, been on 1 mg Klonopin for 2.5 years. So far was able to taper from 1 mg to 0.75 mg in two steps, 0.125 reduction each time. New doctor prescribed Gabapentin to try as partial substitute. Plan is to take 0.5 Klonopin and 100 mg Gabapentin together.

[86...]

Hello, AbsProgress — welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm glad that you decided to join the forum. Our members have gone through benzodiazepine use and withdrawal themselves, so you'll find plenty of information and support here.

Here are a few links to boards that may be a good starting place for you:

General Taper Plans

Titration Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support

Other Medications

Please take a moment to Create a Signature — you can enter your pertinent drug and taper history in the box at the bottom. This will allow members to see where you are in the process, so that they can better support you.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum!

Leslie  :smitten:

The Ashton Manual provides information that can be useful during any stage of withdrawal and recovery, and includes a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations.

For those who are currently tapering, a starting guideline is that the dosage not be reduced faster than by 5-10% every 10-14 days, although some taper even more slowly than that. One exception: very short-term users of a few weeks or less may be able to taper somewhat faster.

I know I need to read this forum. There must be all the answers I need. In the meantime I want to introduce myself and see if anyone is in a similar condition with more experience.

My problems started with divorce and new job. A lot of stress and insomnia. Start taking Tylenol PM and such, at some point was prescribed 1 MG Klonopin for sleep.

Developed physical dependency within few weeks. Tried to quit or taper ever since. So far was able to go down to 0.75 MG by having prescription broken into smaller doses, then cutting pills.

New doctor prescribed Gabapentin to supplement and partially substitute Klonopin. Will try and see what happens.

Eventually hope to get rid of Klonopin and deal with anxiety and stress through normal activities: diet, exercise, reading.

I also understand that drugs help with anxiety but I would much rather take pills on "as needed" basis like I did time ago with Amytriptilyn. I never had physical dependency from any drug

Abs,

I would never have thought I was physically dependent.  I missed pills for days, and then I was dependent.

Glad you are here.

SaraSue  :smitten:

Thanks guys. Tried my first night with 0.5 Klonopin and 100 mg Gabapentin. I feel pretty much the same but hopefully if I can replace Klonopin with Gabapentin I will be left with a less addictive drug? I don't mind taking drugs that help with medical problems. I just don't wanna be hooked on addictive drug. I guess that's the goal for now

Thanks guys. Tried my first night with 0.5 Klonopin and 100 mg Gabapentin. I feel pretty much the same but hopefully if I can replace Klonopin with Gabapentin I will be left with a less addictive drug? I don't mind taking drugs that help with medical problems. I just don't wanna be hooked on addictive drug. I guess that's the goal for now

I wish you much luck but the Gabapentin will not mask the w/d from the klonopin IMHO. I have tried it several times and it does not work. YMMV as they say though.

• 6 months later...

PROGRESS UPDATE.

MAY 2019. I was able to reduce Klonopin from 0.75 to 0.50, taking it together with 100 mg Gabapentin. It was a positive change so I stayed on that combo. After that I was not able to reduce anything.

SEPTEMBER 2019. With a help of someone online I decided to try tapering with MicroScale. I bought it on Amazon. At first I was sceptical but tried anyway. So far it's been working great. In less than 2 months I reduced my dose from 0.5 mg to approx 0.35 mg (from 100% to 70%). I was reducing per Ashton Manual at around 5+% every two weeks. Now I am just reducing daily at 1-2%. I have great flexibility because I can cut as much as I want.

Here is YouTube video that used as a guide to purchasing and using the scale:

I must mention that when I started tapering I also made a lot of changes:

1. I changed my diet. I have to drive a lot just to buy food I like but it is worth it

2. I got rid of my addictions, basically replacing then with something positive

3. I am going to the gym DAILY now, started 3 weeks ago

4. I try to keep my head clear, stay positive

5. I try to set short- and long-term goals

6. I am still working on going to bed on time. Right now it's 1 AM I should be in bed

Let me know what you guys think.

Hi AbsProgress,

I'm happy to hear you're doing so well!  If you'd like to share your progress and get some feedback from other members, it would be helpful if you posted on the Withdrawal Support (during your taper) as this board is typically just used for introductions and doesn't get much traffic from the wider community.

Pamster