Bouts of depression

[...]

Anyone have a wave or a short time frame of depression?

This doesn’t happen daily but when it hits it’s dark and gloomy 😞

Almost a heavy sad feeling.

I’m happy it passed but not looking forward to it’s return

Maugham1

Do you believe in the chemistry imbalance of depression?  In other words do you think that taking ADs is a worthwhile thing.? I hate the side effects of the meds I am on, and I believe I have the right to be drug free. Though I wonder if I am being bloody minded and should keep shovelling them in to please family and friends ( and my docs).

I know you can’t prescribe a “cure” but I would be grateful for your take on things.

Best wishes

Dick 

Dick,

I don't believe in anything until there's scientific proof for it. There have been a spate of studies recently showing that anti-depressants are no better than placebo in treating depressed patients. On the other hand, there is a lot of evidence that genetic variations in various genes contribute to both depression and schizophrenia. What I truly believe is that long-term benzos can cause depression and so can benzo withdrawal. Also, I think it's egregious that big pharma pushes their drugs on people worldwide even when they know the drugs don't work or have serious side effects. The same is true for the supplement/vitamin industry. Vitamins are absolutely useless as long as you eat a healthy diet.

I only started Remeron because it does help me with sleep. I've had sleep issues since my 30s, but I never felt depressed until I started tapering benzos. Once I'm off benzos, I will try to taper the Remeron and become drug free.

Best,

Maugham1

Thank you

My plan is to get off Diaz and Seroquel but as a hopeless sleeper I may remain on mirtazipine for quite a while.

Best wishes

Dick

Never felt depression in my whole life, but it happend to me during my taper. Now that I'm off, the depression comes quite often, like in waves....

Sorry about the moan , the depressed feeling is due  to crawling skin, nausea the trots and a headache.

I am trying to taper Diaz  at 14% til I reach Diaz 5 x3.  Then plan to hold.

I am reassured by M’s success and had conflicting advice re efficacy and he knows the science.

I hope your depression easy Rodolfo.

Dick

Never had depression before I came off the Clonazepam. Now it comes and goes. Got jolted out of sleep by depression at 0500 this morning. It moved away about 5 hours later. This is the first time I’ve had it in a month and I thought it was gone for good. So it’s very frustrating but fits in perfectly with waves and windows.

Have confidence that it is just passing through and that it will lift. I know that’s a lot easier to say than do though.

Good luck with it

G

• 1 month later...

I’m experiencing waves of depression also. It seems to come out of nowhere, but I think is likely triggered by even the slightest thing. I have a decent history of depression that is seemingly predictable in its course. However, this withdrawal depression ‘surprise’, is different. I feel it as worthless - hopelessness - nausea - fear - rumination. Sometimes is lasts a few minutes but other times it will last a day.

I don’t journal, but I know that the time in between depression waves increases with time, but for me the intensity isn’t decreasing at the same rate. I’m especially unhappy (- swearing) with the person (- what I’d like to call him) that first put me on this evil med!

Rose,

Super ironic that you should post now because during the night I got my first bout of depression for a couple of weeks. It’s so weird. It’s not in my head but it’s in my stomach. I had hoped that it was gone for good because that’s what I always hope but no, it’s just reminding me that benzo withdrawal is a long slow journey. On a positive note I think my ‘windows’ are getting longer and my ‘waves’ less severe. However, the unpredictable nature of this is very disconcerting. If I could identify what brings it on then I could take some action but it seems to not be that simple.

I think we can only do what we can to get through it and let time take it’s course. I am sending you some hope. Maybe today will be the last day and if it isn’t I’m sending you some strength to push on through.

Best wishes

G

Thanks G,

Yes, it’s very disconcerting knowing that it can occur at random. When it lifts, it’s a relief and the thought doesn’t occur to me to be ready for the next round  :tickedoff:

I guess one way to look at it is to be ‘prepared’ with something to distract. Only problem being nausea prevents most useful actions!

I’m very pleased to hear that your windows are getting longer and severity lessened. That gives me hope.

Them’s the breaks,

Best wishes your way too,

Always keep fighting!

:smitten:

Rose

I quite understand your anger with the person who pushed these pills when we were most vulnerable!

I can’t hate the person—- but I hate what happened and sometimes anger is a useful tool in the box of tricks to overcome these things.

Best w to anyone low in mood today,

Dick

Cheers Dick,

I think I’m mostly disappointed in myself for taking them in the first place, knowing what I know now. It would be great to tell my younger self a lot of things  8) .

Yes, absolutely, a shout out to anyone having a rough day today - hoping for luck to come your way!

:smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:

Thanks G,

Yes, it’s very disconcerting knowing that it can occur at random. When it lifts, it’s a relief and the thought doesn’t occur to me to be ready for the next round  :tickedoff:

I guess one way to look at it is to be ‘prepared’ with something to distract. Only problem being nausea prevents most useful actions!

I’m very pleased to hear that your windows are getting longer and severity lessened. That gives me hope.

Them’s the breaks,

Best wishes your way too,

Always keep fighting!

:smitten:

Rose,

From what I’ve seen and from my own experience when I am symptom-free it’s so hard to do anything other than feel normal and so preparation for the next bout seems a waste of time and energy. When I’m well I can’t feel how it was to be ill and vice-versa. My key message to myself is always that it will pass. Sometimes I find it hard to believe it, but the reality is that it always does (and it always comes back!!!!!).

Let’s end on a positive. Every attack fixes a part that needs fixing so we are one step closer to the end.

Best wishes

G