Buzzing sensation face- very scared.

[Mo...]

Hi all. As stated in my signature I have been on .5 Klonapin for approx. 4 years. In March (not withdrawing) I had a buzzing sensation on my chin and lower lip area. I figured it would go away and it did not leave after a few days, so I made the mistake of googling and self diagnosed myself with horrible things. I went into a 2 week panic, convinced that I was dying and leaving my children. I almost checked myself in to inpatient. My pdoc told me to increase my Klonapin due to this horrendous time by .25 and boy did it help get me back to the land of the living. After about 2 weeks the buzzing sensation disappeared. Once I picked up the pieces from my panic and the damage it did to my, my husband, parents and children, I began to wean off the additional .25 (I'm now down to .03). However, two days ago the buzzing started again. This time on the left side of my chin and at the bottom. It's like a vibration the size of a dime. Now, I'm not having the same hysterical thoughts as before but I am concerned and each day this continues, I get more anxious.

My question is: the first time I experienced this I was not in withdrawal… could this have still been the klonapin, tolerance, perhaps? Second, has anyone else experience what I am describing particularly on their face? I have very bad health OCD so I go to catastrophic thoughts like BT, MS, caner, etc. I do not want to run to doctor b/c if I did that for every little feeling I've had, I would just move in. I also do not believe medical testing is needed for everything, learned that the hard way. I know anxiety and panic can also causes these sensations. If this were on my foot I would be WAY less concerned than I am that it's on my face! Can anyone bring me piece of mind here? Thank you.

Before I started tapering i was having different symptoms, not exactly like yours tho. I had brain buzzing, dry mouth/burning mouth. I looked that and I self diagnosed. That was a scary time. Over the months when I started tapering everything got worse and had about a million more symptoms. Most of the new symptoms were all WD from what I gathered.

As time passed tho original symptoms started to ease up. The brain buzzing went away. The dry mouth is still here now ad again but the burning mouth has gone away.

Now I have different theories of why I had those symptoms before i started tapering. I think maybe my body was toxic with the medicine and my body was finally telling me to get off the medicine.Or I was starting to get autoimmune problems. I have gone a very strict diet and take in many nutrients during the day that were probably leached out from years of taking medication.

Sometimes these medicines can mask underlying nerve problems because they deaden the nerve sensations. So if you have an underlying condition the upping of your medication might have masked it.

I would just try and be very aware of your body. I know that doesnt really help but I just wanted to let you know I had symptoms before I started tapering from my medication.

Who knows what these medications do and dont do to a persons body.

If it persists then you might want to get it checked out with some tests to be on the safe side. 

ocean34, thank you for your reply!

Oddly enough, my doctor and therapist and trying to work with me on NOT paying such close attention to every sensation in my body. I have severe health anxiety so I am super vigilant about my body to a fault.... panic and fear about what this or that sensation is when it's turned out to be nothing but anxiety over the years. It's a hard balance for me. This is not your fault at all but even you comment about Klonapin masking nerve disorders caused my heart to pound a bit just thinking about what what-ifs and what you mean by that (brain tumor, MS, ALS?) Oh the things my mind does.... which is why I started K in the first place :(

I appreciate your comments. I am on another board for people with health anxiety and tingly, numb feelings tend to be super common. I've recently had normal blood work and I go to my yearly. What other tests do you suppose would be prudent tp mention to my doctor? Just curious?

Hi all. As stated in my signature I have been on .5 Klonapin for approx. 4 years. In March (not withdrawing) I had a buzzing sensation on my chin and lower lip area. I figured it would go away and it did not leave after a few days, so I made the mistake of googling and self diagnosed myself with horrible things. I went into a 2 week panic, convinced that I was dying and leaving my children. I almost checked myself in to inpatient. My pdoc told me to increase my Klonapin due to this horrendous time by .25 and boy did it help get me back to the land of the living. After about 2 weeks the buzzing sensation disappeared. Once I picked up the pieces from my panic and the damage it did to my, my husband, parents and children, I began to wean off the additional .25 (I'm now down to .03). However, two days ago the buzzing started again. This time on the left side of my chin and at the bottom. It's like a vibration the size of a dime. Now, I'm not having the same hysterical thoughts as before but I am concerned and each day this continues, I get more anxious.

My question is: the first time I experienced this I was not in withdrawal… could this have still been the klonapin, tolerance, perhaps? Second, has anyone else experience what I am describing particularly on their face? I have very bad health OCD so I go to catastrophic thoughts like BT, MS, caner, etc. I do not want to run to doctor b/c if I did that for every little feeling I've had, I would just move in. I also do not believe medical testing is needed for everything, learned that the hard way. I know anxiety and panic can also causes these sensations. If this were on my foot I would be WAY less concerned than I am that it's on my face! Can anyone bring me piece of mind here? Thank you.

I don't have a "buzzing" but a tingle/burn. Like tiny shards of glass are pricking my face. It lasts (for me) about a week. I am no doctor but it's our CNS rebuilding I think. Or that's what I tell myself. I try to keep a positive spin on all the withdraw symptoms I'm going through. I jumped from .25mg of K about 10 years ago. I had no idea, and I trusted my doctor. The absolute hell I felt. And feel (as I taper again).

Looks like you are going slow and steady. I would just suggest not tapering again until you feel good and these "sensations" dissipate.

Good Luck

I have had the craziest skin sensation.  My dose was extremely high.  Higher than most I have read.  I was up to 20 mg a day.  Some of this was above prescribed amount due to tolerance.  I’m free of benzos but just now understanding the long road ahead.  I have been on Web MD far too much self diagnosing.  Where I needed to be was on this forum.  I have learned to accept tinnitus, neuropathy, bloodshot eyes, back pain, frequent urination, just to name a few.  It’s well worth it to be off those horrible drugs!

I have had the craziest skin sensation.  My dose was extremely high.  Higher than most I have read.  I was up to 20 mg a day.  Some of this was above prescribed amount due to tolerance.  I’m free of benzos but just now understanding the long road ahead.  I have been on Web MD far too much self diagnosing.  Where I needed to be was on this forum.  I have learned to accept tinnitus, neuropathy, bloodshot eyes, back pain, frequent urination, just to name a few.  It’s well worth it to be off those horrible drugs!

I too cannot wait for the day to be OFF K! I know it will be a year or so process. I'm glad you're off benzos!

Stay off WebMD  :laugh:

I know it's hard, but just know, it's our brains fixing itself. I can literally feel a word in my head bounce around until it finds a route to my mouth. That is my weirdest sensation of all. Knowing that words and thoughts are being bounced around like a ping pong game. Sometime the word never makes it to my mouth and just gets lost forever. But I can definitely feel repairing going on.

Best of luck to you.

Ocean,

I’ve been searching for someone else to comment on benzos masking nerve conditions.  My body is numb head to toe!  85%.  I’ve been concerned about it 4 months since ct.  I feel pain, nueropathy, muscle spasms.  I’m hoping 2 mgs of Xanax has not masked something horrible for years?? 

SaraSue