SSRI (sertraline) and anxiety

[Ni...]

I guess many people on this forum have used a SSRI.

Did you have severe anxiety as a side effect during the startup-period? If so, after how many weeks did it get better for you? And which SSRI did you take?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess many people on this forum have used a SSRI.

Did you have severe anxiety as a side effect during the startup-period? If so, after how many weeks did it get better for you? And which SSRI did you take?

Yes, SSRIs have anxiety as a side effect. It's important to realize that the anxiety is a side effect of the medication. Not your own anxiety.

I guess sertraline and fluoxetine give most anxiety. I know they are most effective from personal experience. The anxiety subsides. And your relationship with it changes with time.

[b7...]

Yes. Massive anxiety trying to start Zoloft 25 mg, and could not go through with it, stopped on day 4.

With Lexapro, 5 mg same thing, too much anxiety to tolerate, quit on day 5.

This is a typical side effect when you"re starting a new AD. For most people this lasts two or three weeks but others, myself included, are more sensitive. Let's hope you are one of the lucky ones! I've been prescribed benzos to cope. Would not recommend that. I'm still struggling to find balance after 10 months on Effexor.

Some years ago I started Citalopram. Got severe anxiety that lasted for a couple of weeks. Woke up shaking in the muddle of the night and had panic attacks every day. Constant crying spells. Coped without benzos - and suddenly one day I oke up recovered - felt amazing. This could happen to you too 😉

Stopped taking the citalopram after 6 symptom free months. A year later, I was going through a stressful time and started on citalopram again. This time the side effects were to much for me. Was prescribed benzos in high doses. Ten months followed where I tapered the benzos and  tried a number of AD's until I finally recovered on Effexor - only took benzos as needed while adjusting. Unfortunately the sama medication isn't working as well now. My theory is that the benzos have been interfering. Just a gut feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Massive anxiety trying to start Zoloft 25 mg, and could not go through with it, stopped on day 4.

With Lexapro, 5 mg same thing, too much anxiety to tolerate, quit on day 5.

Yes, the anxiety can be intolerable when starting an SSRI.

But the payoff is sometimes huge.

The SSRI anxiety eventually goes away in a large part.

I think the BZD anxiety is much worse.

It’s because modern docs don’t cover it with ONLY 3-5 days oxazepam or similar.

SSRI s only have about 40% compliance in the first month.  I think we know why.

Google Prof John Read on AD.  He says ADs largely unnecessary and points to triggers and the fact that bad things happen to people and not enough good things happen! 

DOI. Nearly 50 years on ADs 

Dick

I had taken zoloft for years for GAD with no problems except for a minor sleep problem that it was causing. I switched to Wellbutrin and my anxiety went through the roof. I had panic attacks and insomnia as a result of taking wellbutrin. That's why I was prescribed ativan. Two years later, Im 7 months off ativan, back on 25mg of sertraline and feeling much much better. I have a bit of lightheadedness and some head pressure which are both subsiding slowly. I'll never take Wellbutrin or another benzo ever again. I may taper off sertraline next year and see how I feel, but for now Im headed in the right direction and don't intend to make any drastic changes in the near future.

I had taken zoloft for years for GAD with no problems except for a minor sleep problem that it was causing. I switched to Wellbutrin and my anxiety went through the roof. I had panic attacks and insomnia as a result of taking wellbutrin. That's why I was prescribed ativan. Two years later, Im 7 months off ativan, back on 25mg of sertraline and feeling much much better. I have a bit of lightheadedness and some head pressure which are both subsiding slowly. I'll never take Wellbutrin or another benzo ever again. I may taper off sertraline next year and see how I feel, but for now Im headed in the right direction and don't intend to make any drastic changes in the near future.

I am in month 5 after discontinuing clonazepam.  Still quite sensitive, but dealing with crippling depression, anxiety, agoraphobia, OCD, ADHD..........I do not know what to do about potentially starting an a/d........have I been off the benzo long enough?  I had a history of major depression and anxiety disorder before I ever took a benzo, and I took SSRIs in the past.

Sorry you are in a dip Purple Heart.

Like you I have suffered from depression and as well as for me — anxiety.

I took SSRIs and before that tricyclics.  They certainly enabled me to work and function in the 70/80/90s. I am grateful for that. I hope you find something that helps.

Regarding your other post that BB is anti medication, I think you make a valid point. But I hope the dislike of meds is based on good new evidence and not just anger and prejudice.  Many of us had pre existing mental health issues and will find coming off medication distressing. To know what works and what doesn’t is worthwhile I think. I also believe that the availability of talking treatments and good family and social support are invaluable. But sometimes a dark situation requires medication.

I personally dislike the use of antipsychotics in depression as they are thin on evidence and can cause metabolic syndrome.

It’s a question of informed choice and caution, whilst keeping the hard line distaste in proportion.?.. 

Yours

Dick

T

Sorry you are in a dip Purple Heart.

Like you I have suffered from depression and as well as for me — anxiety.

I took SSRIs and before that tricyclics.  They certainly enabled me to work and function in the 70/80/90s. I am grateful for that. I hope you find something that helps.

Regarding your other post that BB is anti medication, I think you make a valid point. But I hope the dislike of meds is based on good new evidence and not just anger and prejudice.  Many of us had pre existing mental health issues and will find coming off medication distressing. To know what works and what doesn’t is worthwhile I think. I also believe that the availability of talking treatments and good family and social support are invaluable. But sometimes a dark situation requires medication.

I personally dislike the use of antipsychotics in depression as they are thin on evidence and can cause metabolic syndrome.

It’s a question of informed choice and caution, whilst keeping the hard line distaste in proportion.?.. 

Yours

Dick

Thanks, Dick.

I am on the fence about whether to pursue mirtazipine or setraline.  I want something very effective at this point in my recovery.  It seems mirt might be a better option after all I have read and the feedback I have seen here......I am terrified of gaining weight, but that is also part of my illness.  I guess many things are a trade off at times.

Oh ya every AD I tried made me more anxious, and more depressed.  Never made it past three weeks.  For me personally they're "depressant".  :( The only things that helped were actually anti-psychotics.  Olanzapine and seroquel both helped immensely and I only took very small dose.  I guess everyone is different.  I've quit everything now and feel mostly OK.  I hope I'll never get depression again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, most SSRIs have a brief period when you ramp up (or change doses) where you experience anxiety.  This usually goes away in a week or two though.  Wellbutrin is different-that's actually an anxiolytic drug, so it will definitely rev you up. In fact, taking Wellbutrin,

I believe, is what led me to benzos in the first place (or at least one of the factors).