Looking for some answers

[Wh...]

I have been tapering valium for a few months and was doing quite well. Once or twice a week taking phenibut to take the edge off.

About 10 days ago i started taking baclofen. The dr told me to start at 100mg and take more if i needed.

I took 100mg for the first three days and then 150mg on the fourth. It was making me feel really sick in the stomache but definitely helped with anxiety so i stopped cold turkey thinking there is no way i could be addicted so quickly.

I havw gone into a withdrawal where my muscles are really sore and my glands have swollen. I really dont want to reinstate. Does anyone know how long this will last?

Hello Whamess :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you found us, you will get plenty of support here. The muscle issues could be from both meds, it’s a very common benzo withdrawal symptom.  You could post Baclofen questions on other meds board.  How fast are you tapering the valium?  If you have been on benzodiazepines more than a few weeks, they should be tapered slowly.  It’s generally recommended to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s quite okay to taper slower, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.  Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Other Medications     

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hey! I’ve got some Baclofen experiences. Not a nice drug.

Are you sure it’s 100mg?? That’s insanely high.

They normally start very low, 5mg three times daily as it’s notorious for severe side effects and taper up from there. It’s very potent muscle relaxant, normally prescribed for people with MS.

It’s ruined all my muscles and I was only ever on 15mg. Made me a floppy mess. Stopping / reducing is excruciating.

I went CT after 3 weeks on it and had severe tremors and stiffness, so got put back in lower. Stuck there since, reducing now.

It would be surprising to have after s few days, but if you took such a high dose it might just spasm for a few days... sorry that you’re experiencing this. Sucks. But I highly recommend avoiding it, it’s nasty for many. Not all though some are fine with it, like benzos. All a lottery 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes i decided today 6 days out of ct that i would reinstate on 5mg 3x day. Ill do that for 2 days. Then i will do 5mg 2x a day then 5mg morning, 2.5mg the next day. 2.5 2x the next day and then just 2.5mg on the fifth day.

Just incase

Cant believe the doctor put me on such high dosage. Feels like my arm and stomach muscles are on fire.

I wont be going back to see that doctor.

I have gone through withdrawals of phenibut (15grams a day for a few weeks to ct) and mentally the phenibut is probably worse but the physical symptoms are so much worse than phenibut.

I was taking xanax last year and switched to valium in February. Tapered from 10mg down to 3mg. I have about 30 2mg tablets left so im going to reduce 1mg each week

That sounds like a good plan.

Yeh your doctor should be sued! Look up Baclofen toxicity... it’s very serious to give high doses of it without tittering up. They obvs have no idea. Idiot 🙄

I had similar start up stuff except was hard to distinguish with K WD but it did some awful stuff, I couldn’t talk or think straight for months, like my brain and body was cooked.

Glad you’re tapering off and I hope it all goes well for you 🙏🏼

I should have mentioned that i also have mono at the moment so thay could have intensified whatever this withdrawal is. After reinstating today i can say im 90% sure that it is the baclofen causing these symptoms. I took 5mg a few hours ago and my muscles settled within half an hour

The reason i was prescribed baclofen was because i told my doctor about the positive effects phenibut was having for me. But phenkbut is illegal in my country now so he said the closest thing is baclofen. Why he chpse that dosage i have no idea.

I will write my story in a signature

Having illness doesn’t help things, and according to my integrative doctor / psych means due to a low immune system you’re more likely to have adverse effects from meds.

I have lyme, Co infections and currently CMV (same as mono) so I feel your pain!

Baclofen also makes you very fatigued, last thing you need with mono.

Wish I knew before I started it! 😳

Maybe you could switch the baclofen to phenibut and taper off that?

Thats exactly what i would be doing but unfortunately i dont have that option anymore in this country

Thanks for the advice! I’ll ask my doc ☺️

Don’t know anything about phenibut, if it’s in Aus, but have seen it mentioned.

How would you do it? Taper wise that is. Wouldn’t want to swap one for another so just wondering how I’d approach it ☺️

Thanks!!!

Oh if you are in aus, you are out of luck. They banned it because some high school studenta went stupid on it.

10mg of baclofen would be roughly 1gram of phenibut

And reduce by 100mg a day. You would still have a withdrawal at the end but it doesnt effect your muscles. No reports on people having seizures or anything from it either.

I have cut off ct from phenibut 15grams a day and was pretty unwell for 2 weeks and then click the withdrawal was just gone

Damn high school kids stuffing around with drugs!

Shame sounds it would help. The muscle pain reducing Baclofen makes benzo WD look easy, for me anyway.

I need to find something to help my chronic pain, at least short term. But wouldn’t touch opiates or any meds.. I’ll just have to take kilos of magnesium and pray haha

Hey! I’ve got some Baclofen experiences. Not a nice drug.

Are you sure it’s 100mg?? That’s insanely high.

They normally start very low, 5mg three times daily as it’s notorious for severe side effects and taper up from there. It’s very potent muscle relaxant, normally prescribed for people with MS.

It’s ruined all my muscles and I was only ever on 15mg. Made me a floppy mess. Stopping / reducing is excruciating.

I went CT after 3 weeks on it and had severe tremors and stiffness, so got put back in lower. Stuck there since, reducing now.

It would be surprising to have after s few days, but if you took such a high dose it might just spasm for a few days... sorry that you’re experiencing this. Sucks. But I highly recommend avoiding it, it’s nasty for many. Not all though some are fine with it, like benzos. All a lottery 🤷🏼‍♀️

I agree when I read his post. 100 mgs of baclofen  is way too high.

I know antibenzo7... it’s actually malpractice.

I’d be writing a complaint at the least.. that high a start dose could have killed him.

It can cause respiratory failure etc. very dangerous stuff. Just glad he’s ok!!

You could try some legal things to help you taper.

Melatonin, ashwagandha and l-theanine will all help with sleep.

Those three things really helped me the first timw i stopped benzos.

Baclofen is new for me but from the literature i have read online it seems that most people taper over one to two weeks regardless of the amount or how long they have been taking it. I was going to continue ct but my heart was not feeling good at all this afternoon. I feel pretty alright now after re instating but my glands are still seriously swollen. Probably from the mono though i guess.

Alot of people will not agree with me but seroquel definitely helps. Atleast with sleep.

If you find phenibut anywhere let me know. All the ebay sellees have dried up now and i wouldnt risk importing it because they put it in the same schedule as heroin, meth and lsd... Ridiculous

Cheers yes I have theanine at the moment and it def helps!!! Just got some the other day from my doc 👍🏼

Looking into CBD for my pain.

Yes all sites say reduce over two weeks. All my docs say the same and that it shouldn’t cause problems and I should be able to stop at 10, but many on it I d met in hospital or here say it’s not always that easy, I get v stiff, excruciating muscle pain, panic attacks and tremors, but I think it’s my system and illness.

So I’d say take it slow and go by how ur feeling but don’t drag it out and get more hooked 😁

What time of the day do you dose? It has a short half life but I find lasts longer than Valium which gives me rebound anxiety by two hours!

I guess you and i have very similar sensitive brains to these medications.

Gaba b seems so much more physical than gaba a drugs.

I jist went to a medical centre doctor to see why my ears are blocked and told him what had happened. He dismissed everything, told me i couldnt be withdrawing. Thought baclofen was a steroid. I will never go there again.

Luckily i found a little bit of phenibut that i forgof i had and that should last me a few days. Then i will just suck up the rest of the withdrawals