Hello

[So...]

Hi there,

I've been taking Oxazepam to help with insomnia for around 2 months. Usually, 1 x 30mg tablet per night. Have decided to stop over Easter break and today I'm feeling very ordinary. Looking for advice and other experiences with Oxazepam.

Cheers Sol

Hello Sol :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are very glad you found us.  Anyone taking benzodiazepines more than 2 or 3 weeks should taper slow.  Stopping cold turkey can bring on some severe symptoms.  I am glad you are feeling okay,  It can take a few days for the withdrawal symptoms to kick in.  A gradual taper of 5-10% every 10-14 days is generally recommended. You can alter the schedule depending how you feel, whatever is comfortable.   

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Cold Turkey Detox & Rapid Withdrawal Board

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hi

Welcome and I hope you find help here.

I HAVE HEAVILY MODIFIED this post as I had given advice which is not allowed. My apologies.

Are you on anything else?  Go into your profile and add something in signatures if possible

I was on oxazepam 30:a day and reduced after switching to diazepam twenty years ago, but have had a spot of bother since.

Best wishes

Dick

Hi there,

I've been taking Oxazepam to help with insomnia for around 2 months. Usually, 1 x 30mg tablet per night. Have decided to stop over Easter break and today I'm feeling very ordinary. Looking for advice and other experiences with Oxazepam.

Cheers Sol

Welcome Sol! You are very lucky. You have not been on very long. I wish I was in your shoes. You said you are feeling very ordinary. What does that mean? Are you feeling ok? This drug has a pretty short 1/2 life. You stopped CT, correct? Exactly how long has it been since your last dose.

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies , encouragement and advice.

My last dose of Oxazepam was on Wednesday night, so its now Saturday morning here in Australia.  Yesterday my whole body was tingling and I felt very shaky but managed to distract myself with chores and Netflix. I had a very disrupted sleep last night, vivid dreams (nightmares)and an upset stomach. Today, the tingling has lessened but I've been having some other weird side effects, one being I occasionally catch an unusual smell or scent, which comes and goes. My sense of smell also seems heightened.

Given I am three days into this, I am inclined to carry on with cold turkey. I'm aware the withdrawal symptoms may worsen, but so far they are manageable, just.

Cheers Sol

The heightened sense of smell is classic benzo w/d IMO. I had it really bad in 2006 when I was detoxed CT @ a medical detox hospital. THis usually does not last very long. It was almost like tranquilized neurons in my brain were finally waking up again as the drug was being withdrawn. IIRC, it did not last but approx. 3 or 4 days and then my sense of smell was back to normal. If I were you, I would try to just hang in there and not reinstate. Meditation and mild aerobic exercise have been the two things that have helped me the most. I also try to eat as clean as I possibly can to fortify my body as much as possible. I personally think you will be fine. Most of us here would die to be in your shoes......I know I would.

Hi Solman66,

As you can see in my signature, I've been on oxazepam for 20 years, but am doing a daily liquid micro taper to get off these things.

You're brave to CT even if on them a short while, but it sounds like you're managing well.  I wish you the best!

Yes, I read somewhere heightened senses are to be expected but it's still quite unusual. I went for an hour long walk earlier and feel quite good other than a mild headache. I know exercise is one of the keys to getting through this, just can be hard to get motivated when you feel like crap. Cheers S

The heightened sense of smell is classic benzo w/d IMO. I had it really bad in 2006 when I was detoxed CT @ a medical detox hospital. THis usually does not last very long. It was almost like tranquilized neurons in my brain were finally waking up again as the drug was being withdrawn. IIRC, it did not last but approx. 3 or 4 days and then my sense of smell was back to normal. If I were you, I would try to just hang in there and not reinstate. Meditation and mild aerobic exercise have been the two things that have helped me the most. I also try to eat as clean as I possibly can to fortify my body as much as possible. I personally think you will be fine. Most of us here would die to be in your shoes......I know I would.